Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple are now producing the latest designer Ronson's.

• 19-08-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Several Iphones and Ipods have already burst into flames including one setting a car on fire in the Netherlands. Experts reckon heat causes them to ignite, Apple don't seem to take the problem too serious. I could imagine a general recall would put a nasty dent in their profits.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/eu-launches-probe-into-exploding-iphones-and-ipods-1863669.html

By Bruno Waterfield in Brussels and Henry Samuel in Paris

Wednesday August 19 2009

European Union consumer safety watchdogs have launched an investigation into reports that Apple iPods and iPhones are "exploding" in the summer sunshine.

Officials have acted after a series of cases in Britain, France, Holland and Sweden in which Apple's digital music players and mobile phones have allegedly spontaneously combusted or exploded.

In the latest incident, Romain Kolega, a French teenager, was injured when his girlfriend's iPhone was said to have exploded into shards after beginning to "crackle and pop like a deep-fryer".

That report followed a British case earlier this month involving an iPod Touch music player belonging to Ellie Stanborough, an 11-year old Liverpool girl.

In July, a Dutch man, named only as Pieter C, claimed that he had left his iPhone in his car for 15 minutes only to return to find that it had caught fire and severely damaged the passenger seat of his vehicle.

An iPod has also been implicated in a Swedish fire this June when a stationary Saab was completely engulfed in flames, almost incinerating the owner's dog.

"We have asked Apple to share with us any information they might have because of press reports of problems relating to iPhones and iPods," said a European Commission official.

The Commission has sent out an alert on its Rapex product safety system requesting the EU's 27 member states for any details or further incidents involving iPods or iPhones.

Apple claims it has ruled out any widespread safety problem with the 200 million iPods and 26 million iPhones sold in Europe but is carrying out a full investigation into the reported cases.

"Apple have come back to us and said to us that these are isolated incidents they don't consider that there is a general problem," said the Commission official.

An Apple spokesman said: "We are aware of these reports and we are waiting to receive the units from the customers. Until we have the full details, we don't have anything further to add."

Mr Kolega, 18, claimed last week that he received a minor eye injury after he picked up his girlfriend's crackling iPhone.

"I felt something like a grain of sand in my eye. It must have been a shard of glass," he said.

In the earlier British case, Ken Stanborough threw his 11 year-old daughter's iPod out the back door of his house when it started hissing and overheating.

"Within 30 seconds there was a pop, a big puff of smoke and it went 10 feet in the air," he said.

Mr Stanborough has claimed that Apple offered a refund of the £162 music player on the condition that the family sign a confidentiality agreement.

In July it emerged that Apple had tried to block a freedom of information request on iPod "burn and fire-related incidences" by an American journalist for 800 pages of documents from the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.

In June, Apple recalled all first-generation iPod Nanos in South Korea following reports of exploding batteries.

© Telegraph.co.uk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

And this has what to do with the NWO, exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Quick, Run to da hills!!

For once, I'm glad I'm too poor to afford fancy things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

You've been pipped a while ago in the Apple Devices forum :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Des wrote: »
    And this has what to do with the NWO, exactly?

Don't get caught with one, you could be a suspect terrorist :eek:

They will track you down through cell site analysis and pinpoint your location and deport you to FEMA camps :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The batteries they use are well know to easily have manufacturing defects which cause a very low rate of ignition. Its happened with laptops and phones, I don't see why the i-pod should be any different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

An EU product safety system called Rapex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

am i the only one who had to look up ronson :o

if anybody feel at risk of their new iphone hurting them, I would be happy to dispose of it for a small fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The batteries they use are well know to easily have manufacturing defects which cause a very low rate of ignition. Its happened with laptops and phones, I don't see why the i-pod should be any different.
    Bottom line is that Apple are responsible for their end product. If a plane falls out of the sky because of an Ipod exploding Apple will be blamed. It is up to apple to chase up the manufacturers of any faulty components fitted to their machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If a plane falls out of the sky because of an Ipod exploding Apple will be blamed.

You blind fool, if that happens you can bet it's an Illuminati plot. Alex Jones said so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

am i the only one who had to look up ronson :o
    Probably not.
    Cricket and Djeep have the market cornered these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I can see a flame war developing here:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

Bottom line is that Apple are responsible for their end product. If a plane falls out of the sky because of an Ipod exploding Apple will be blamed. It is up to apple to chase up the manufacturers of any faulty components fitted to their machines.

if that happens we'll be banned from taking mobile phones on a plane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Experts reckon heat causes them to ignite

Some high class experts right there, I would have never figured that out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Terry wrote: »
    Probably not.
    Cricket and Djeep have the market cornered these days.

If it's not a Clipper, i'm not interested. They're the ferrari of disposable lighters

Advertisement