Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY hedging

Options
  • 19-08-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to grow your own laurel hedging from cuttings? I have a well established row of laurels on one side of the garden and I'm thinking about getting cuttings from these to try and grow and then transplant to screen off another part of my garden at the boundary (I've been quoted €250 for laurels at a nursery so I'm trying to save a few quid).

Thats the theory, however, I haven't a clue how to do it in practice. Any advice would be appreciated.

On another point, we have a rhodedendron plant that we received as a gift and the wife wants to plant it. However, I've heard that these can get way out of control (Glenveigh national park in Donegal is an example of these planst gone mad) and so I'm worried that they might end up killing off the other hedging/trees in the garden. Any thoughts on these (the plant info tag states that it will grow to 8 feet in height!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pilslager

I am in exactly the same boat about the hedging, is there anyone out there that can tell us how to take a cutting from a laurel hedge and get it to grow (i tried and failed)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

exactly the same question?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

How many do you need? Bareroot isnt that expensive in the winter and you can get good healthy plants to give your hedge a good start, see here for some prices:

http://www.futureforests.net/br_hedging.htm

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055833813
    "Laurel 2' plants at €320 for 100"

Here is a good step by step with a photo on how to deal with cuttings.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=404

I find using a liquid rooting hormone works better than powder, havnt done laurel though. Perlite is great, better I think than sharp sand. Keep the cutting compost moist by placing cutting container in a tray and ensuring tray always has water in it. perhaps the odd misting of the cuttings woulndt go astray. Make sure that when making the cuttings that your implements are very sharp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Taking cuttings and growing them on is actually very simple and easy to do....as I have been finding out recently.

Wetting down the cutting asap from the time of taking the cutting,then a very precise and sharp cut,some rooting powder or hormone,some compost and some sunlight...and you are away.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 healyon

Theres some good deals to be had if you can travel abit, heres someone selling laurel at €1 each

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 healyon

Has anybody had any success in tring to get cuttings to root in water instead of in soil

Advertisement