Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink Coat

Options
  • 19-08-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hey, I lurk here a good bit. Wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but anyways...

I recently acquired a women's mink coat, and I'm wondering if it's worth anything. In perfect condition, from either the 30's, 40's or 50's, and a really lovely two-tone colour.

Is there anywhere that would buy it from me in town (Dublin)? I'm afraid of being red-painted if I wear it myself!!

Any help would be great.

Karl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If it fits you, and you think it suits you, wear it!

Here's a ladies mink jacket, probably 60's, on a guy. Just be sure to have a comical reason for it if someone asks.

"It's my moms" is perfectly valid. :)

Edit; I thought I had a better picture of it to hand, but here's another chap wearing a fur jacket, though afaik, it faux fur. It's also knee length.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yeah. It's pretty sweet alright. To be honest, if it was worth a bit of money, I'd sell it. If it wasn't, I'd keep it for the winter.

Here's a pic of it anyways...

16krv6f.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Looks beautiful! Does it still have all the clasps/buttons, full lining?
    Some vintage shops may value it for you, or even better, buy if from you! I suggest The Harlequin on Castle Market St, or the more upscale Jenny Vander around the corner on Drury St.
    I'm not sure about whether they buy second hand, but The Turret sells furs. It's almost directly opposite Harlequin. One of those places that gets doused in red at least one a year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

Sorry but that's disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Red-painting fashion shows, designers, promoters who encourage the wearing of fur, and use new fur, is a decent statement from people who feel that way, even if it is wasteful. Red-painting random people in fur is ridiculous, given that a lot of fur is old and not commissioned by the wearer, or bought directly from the company who commissioned the hide. If a protester doesn't know where the fur came from, or the opinions of the wearer, they cannot know the statement they're making. Red-painting old fur is so wasteful seeing as it's durable, warm fabric. That said, I'd feel a bit odd wearing a fur coat as well, and not just for fear of getting it slashed or painted!

If you don't want to wear it, try selling it to one of the places Twee. mentioned, or else if you're feeling morally dubious about making money out of it/encouraging fur as fashion, give it to the VdeP or Capuchins or some other group who look after the homeless. Someone without a bed or a home would definitely benefit from a warm coat.

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. I'll try each of those places. Maybe they'd buy it to re-tailor it or something, if not to sell it. I certainly don't feel morally dubious about selling it, though I would never buy fur myself... unless it was farmed or something. Do they do that?

Liquorice wrote: »
    Red-painting fashion shows, designers, promoters who encourage the wearing of fur, and use new fur, is a decent statement from people who feel that way, even if it is wasteful. Red-painting random people in fur is ridiculous, given that a lot of fur is old and not commissioned by the wearer, or bought directly from the company who commissioned the hide. If a protester doesn't know where the fur came from, or the opinions of the wearer, they cannot know the statement they're making. Red-painting old fur is so wasteful seeing as it's durable, warm fabric. That said, I'd feel a bit odd wearing a fur coat as well, and not just for fear of getting it slashed or painted!

Trying not to derail the thread! But yeah I'd have the same stance as yourself. New fur, would NEVER buy (unless I relocated to Siberia or something!). Old fur, would consider it. My own is a faux-mink.

Yeah. I like leather though... what's the big difference? I know not much about these things...

Well I'd say that apart from warmth (though it wouldn't be cold enough in Ireland to warrant everyone in fur!), fur is all aesthetic and glamour. Leather, as well as looking good, is durable, flexible, warm and rain proof, making it a good choice for shoes, jackets and bags.

Oh yes, yes. I know that!

I mean from a moral standpoint...

• Advertisement

pinksoir wrote: »
    Oh yes, yes. I know that!

I mean from a moral standpoint...

Well that's kinda what I meant, like I know it's an animal either way, but I would justify leather due to its usefulness, whereas fur is just pretty! However flawed an argument that is....!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Funnily enough, I've passed several fur protests, and seen protesters wearing (real) leather jackets, boots and belts.

Twee. wrote: »
    Well that's kinda what I meant, like I know it's an animal either way, but I would justify leather due to its usefulness, whereas fur is just pretty! However flawed an argument that is....!
    Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I've passed several fur protests, and seen protesters wearing (real) leather jackets, boots and belts.

I genuinely don't know anything about the production of leather, but I do know the methods used for fur farming can be hideous, as well as keeping the animals in very cramped disgusting conditions, based on some docs I've seen. Maybe the production of leather isn't quite so cruel?

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I wouldn't doubt it. People who try to impress their own moral code on others are generally morons.

pinksoir wrote: »
    Hmmm...

Told ya it was flawed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I can't stand those idiots who throw red paint over people who wear fur. I mean fair enough if you hate the idea of fur, but what gives anybody the right to vandalise and destroy someone else's clothing?

Anyway, I'm not a fan of mink coats, don't like them at all. If it were me, I'd get it valued somewhere and sell it.

That's what I've decided to do. I don't think I'd ever wear it.. perhaps for fancy dress or summat. Or possibly for pimping. Sheeeeeit.

I guess now the question is how much is it worth. And I shall attempt to find that out. I'll post up my findings in case anyone is curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

bluewolf wrote: »
    I genuinely don't know anything about the production of leather, but I do know the methods used for fur farming can be hideous, as well as keeping the animals in very cramped disgusting conditions, based on some docs I've seen. Maybe the production of leather isn't quite so cruel?

I think it's because leather is a by-product of slaughtering livestock for meat, the hides get tanned for leatherware 'cause they're not suitable for eating, whereas animals raised for fur tend to be farmed for just that, and there is the notion that meat is important for nutrition, while fur hasn't got much purpose outside of looking pretty, unless you live in the arctic circle. I have heard, though, that farms exclusively for leather exist, although I dunno how true that is.

There were also issues with some animals becoming endangered because of people hunting them for their fur, but mink is hardly one of those.

Major derail, but this is an interesting topic.

I agree, it is interesting. And one I don't really know much about. I mean, there is a lot to be said for the ethical farming of animals for any means. Give them as comfortable and anguish free an existence until the inevitable slaughter. Though I presume most practises are far from ethical. I'd like to know more.

• Advertisement

Meh, turns out the coat is muskrat fur, about 70 years old, and past it's sell by date (ie worthless)!! Think I'll have my girlfriend turn it into cushions or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,987 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well thanks a bunch OP. I googled muskrat and it led me to the above which was the second result. You are for the moment off of the christmas card list.

Much obliged. I simply cannot press play on that video as a matter of principle though...

Advertisement