Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you really think there'll be a pandemic?

• 19-08-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I'm interested to see people's opinions on this. Do you folks really believe that the swine flu 'pandemic' is a real threat?

Or do you believe it's just the flavour-of-the-month tabloid seller?

I believe it's a fine pile of horseshite. How many has it killed world-wide? And how many does 'ordinary' flu, or any other infectious virus for that matter, kill annually? Totally blown out of all proportion imo.

Do you believe this swine flu 'pandemic' is a serious threat? 42 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    21% 9 votes
    Not sure
    78% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

pleh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

If we continue to allow those Peruvian flute bands play on our streets then we'll be safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

+1
    i said it myself on another thread earlier, it's killing less people than 'normal' flu. there'll very likely be an outbreak in my opinion, but very few people will have more than a mild dose.

anyone remember avian flu a couple of years ago? SARS? Millenium bug (ok not an illness but you get my meaning.)

Fear-mongering tabloids have nothing left about jade goody until she makes an appearance on "most haunted", so they have to sensationalise something.

we're worse fools for reading the sh1te to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Meant pandemic in a Cap'n Trips kinda way, not spread to a lot of countries but only killing 0.0000005% (2 out of 4m people) of the population. Should possibly change the post...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Well there's definitely a "swine flu thread" pandemic. Every where you look there's a thread infected with swine flu. Need the mods to get out the Terriflu and sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

It's a complete over reaction. If someone sneezes now they think they are dying. Tabloids are the only ones making a killing with this Flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

FFS.

As you'll know, we had it much earlier over here in England.
    EVERY person I'm in close contact with - family, friends and friends' families, have had it. Not one has died.

It's an incredibly weak strain of flu, lasts about 3-4 days (as opposed to seasonal - which I had at christmas - that lasted 2 weeks).
    It's nothing to worry about.

Get a grip, people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

*Aaaaaaaaaachoooooooooooo!! Oink, Oink, Oink*

Any +1's for banning the next person who starts a swine flu thread?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will spread rapidly through the schools in September, but that happens every year when the kids return from hols. It should be the same as usual though I think I would worrry about kids with asthma etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Slow news day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Long Onion wrote: »
    Any +1's for banning the next person who starts a swine flu thread?

+1.

This is the 'swine flu thread'; why people have to start a million threads on the bloody thing is beyond me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Had it..
    Kicked the worst of it in two days.

Swine Flu is Waaayyy overrated.

I still think the Irish media will report on it just for the sake of nothing else, work themselves into a complete frenzy, scare all of the grannies into social isolation, and have us all wearing hazmat suits whenever we go out in public lest someone sneeze in our direction..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

genericguy wrote: »
    +1
    i said it myself on another thread earlier, it's killing less people than 'normal' flu. there'll very likely be an outbreak in my opinion, but very few people will have more than a mild dose.

anyone remember avian flu a couple of years ago? SARS? Millenium bug (ok not an illness but you get my meaning.)

Fear-mongering tabloids have nothing left about jade goody until she makes an appearance on "most haunted", so they have to sensationalise something.

we're worse fools for reading the sh1te to be honest.

I was very sick the morning after the Millenium

Wazdakka wrote: »
    I still think the Irish media will report on it just for the sake of nothing else, work themselves into a complete frenzy, scare all of the grannies into social isolation, and have us all wearing hazmat suits whenever we go out in public lest someone sneeze in our direction..

Agreed - look at the mirror headline today ;

"Swine Flu Victim was Healthy" - No he wasn't, he had fcukin' Swine Flu - Tabloid retards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

brummytom wrote: »
    Get a grip...

And not la grippe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As I have a "underlying chronic condition" as they say I'll tell you after I've survived (or not).

btw the thread title and the OP are quite different. There is a pandemic already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

It's easy to scare people about what they don't understand.

An example is the millennium bug. Basically the millennium bug was where a piece of software only allowed 2 digits to store the year instead of 4. That was the bug. Extremely easy to fix and not even necessary to fix in most cases.

You can't die from swine flu, you die from complications, just as people die from complications when they have the normal flu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Firstly, the Millenium Bug was a real problem, it just wasn't the huge, gigantic problem it was made out to be.

Secondly, AFAIU the issue is that if the flu mutates then there could be a big problem as it's very similar to the Spanish flu.

Don't forget that even the Spanish flu only killed about 22 million out of 500 million infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Im more worried about the current baseless sensationalist journalism pandemic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

spurious wrote: »
    It will spread rapidly through the schools in September, but that happens every year when the kids return from hols. It should be the same as usual though I think I would worrry about kids with asthma etc.

nah, fcuk those kids. in the wild they'd have been eaten long ago, or left on the side of a hill in sparta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

A good pandemic will sort us out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Yeah we really need to give them more things to write about. I suggest "Internet Superhero Turd Ferguson Voted Sexiest Man Alive By All Teh Wimmenz In Teh Wurld"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CRonaldo

Da Bounca wrote: »
    pleh

What does 'pleh' mean?

CRonaldo wrote: »
    What does 'pleh' mean?

It's the sound meh makes when you have the swine flu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Furd Terguson

Yeah we really need to give them more things to write about. I suggest "Internet Superhero Turd Ferguson Voted Sexiest Man Alive By All Teh Wimmenz In Teh Wurld"

That's just not true Turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

That's just not true Turd.

WHich is exactly why the tabloids should write about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CRonaldo

Oh Thanks, he obviously has a learning disability if he is using words that are not in the english language.

Advertisement