Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers needed please!

• 19-08-2009 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone,

I'm a PhD student researching attitudes to smoking and I need 20 more smokers to finish an experiment I'm working on. It takes between 1-1.5hrs (varies depending on the person) and is being conducted in the Psych dept of the university.

This study is not aimed at coercing people into quitting and it is judgement-free. Basically we are trying to understand the variables that underlie smoking.

I'd be very grateful for any volunteers. We can arrange a day and time that suits you too.

Thanks
    Corinna :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You're probably better off approaching people outside the SU or in smoking areas when college starts back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Or promising free cigarettes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tijuana_Lady

Thanks guys. All good suggestions. I'll be recruiting on campus come September but thought I'd try this way too since the deadline is looming ever closer, eek!

Free cigarettes would be a good incentive I'm sure but I've been told ethically that I can't do that, sigh! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

If its just questions then put them up here. i can honestly say if im standing outside the student bar having a smoke and am asked to answer smoking questions for over an hour its not happening. what about putting all the victims names into a hat and winner gets an ipod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

what about putting all the victims names into a hat and winner gets an ipod?

And then rig the raffle with a number 11 ticket so that you win the ipod and then can return it. (What could possibly go wrong?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

hey it wasnt my idea but at least she will be pissing off smokers. call a half time break if she gets any hassle, everyone goes out the front for a smoke while she makes her escape out the back...

have a little faith in human nature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tijuana_Lady

Oh, dear! I hope it doesn't come to that! I wish I could give everyone an iPod for taking part. If only we had a bigger budget! Sigh!
    Seriously though, I really don't want to be bothering people. It's completely voluntary and you can say no & I'll go away...pinky promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

mp3guy wrote: »
    Or promising free cigarettes.
    Or free money......

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Xqzciara

or free money to smoke, seeing as its bad to give cigarettes!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I was given a free chocolate bar. It was totally worth it.

p.s. You should consider letting the test subjects go out for a smoke break.

• Advertisement
Advertisement