Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they cancel my purchase?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

I bought an item from Expansys UK website, for delivery to Ireland. When I selected shipping to Ireland, the shipping method and cost increased, accordingly. Paid for the order with PayPal (originally tried with credit card, but they didn't accept it for some reason).

Now, I see in the description of the item, on the Expansys webpage, it says, "Please also note that all customers requiring delivery outside of mainland UK, will need to arrange their own couriers to collect the scooters from our warehouse.".

But as I said, during check out it gave me a shipping price to Ireland, which I accepted and so paid for in full.

Should they try and do so, what right have Expansys got to cancel my order, being that it's already been paid for?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If they already took the payment then my understanding is the contract was complete, however what do their T&C's say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Cabaal wrote: »
    however what do their T&C's say?

Thanks Cabaal.
    2.1 All orders placed through our website will be subject to our acceptance of the order. We reserve the right to decline any order for any reason.

<and>

..Your order will be accepted by us (and a contract will then be formed between us) when we dispatch the goods to you.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

This case is not as clear cut as it seems. The OP did not pay directly for the item, they paid paypal who paid for the item thus I don't think there is a clear cut contract of sale here. From what I understand is you cannot make a charge back on a paypal transaction since the company you paid i.e. paypal, performed the service you paid them to do successfully i.e. pay the business in question on your behalf. This means that if you want to go after expansys it is going to be much difficult.

I know dabs for instance do not charge your credit card until they are about to ship the item. I would assume this is the same for expansys except when you pay via paypal the charge is instant. This would be a different case if they took payment direct since the parties to the contract are plain and simple then.

Advertisement