Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change in Cork???

Options
  • 19-08-2009 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭

Right this thread isn't for getting rid of people, changing the city manager or about killing all the scumbags. This thread is for suggestions, explanations of how you would change bits of the city. Try and keep it realistic as well and if you want to go mad then say you're putting in a dreamer situation (cos I'm gonna do one of those too!).

Have fun!

Here's my suggestions:

- Replace Nano Nagle walk bridge with something nicer
    - Save Beamish brewery and do it up a bit
    - Pass a by-law saying all blank concrete on upper floors has to be painted, unless it is blank for a reason (it's limestone or something)
    - Knock the old tax office or else replace the frontage and make it into a community complex of some kind, a big hall and stuff for events.
    - Put some grass on Grand Parade. I like the way it is after being done up but a bit of grass on the flat would go far.
    - Sort out Daunt Sqaure by lighting it up really bright at night, out a statue there of myself (well ok someone else so) and have benches there so you can sit and watch the world go by.
    - Do up Washington Street, widen the paths and have narrow trees, about 10 feet high going all the way up stopping by the Kino.

Now for the dreamer part:

- Kick Burger King out of Pana. Gut the building and use it as a central station, like Grand Central, for a Cork subway system. Daycent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

1. The poor
    2. The working class
    3. The long term unemployed

Basically most of the Northside.....nah only messing

1. Do up that street...at the end of the Mardyke running down to the Mercy Hospital. Its horrible looking.

2. Down the docks and around by Marina View (behind and east along The Sextant pub)...total revamp..very grotty.

3. Sort out Barrack Street. Efforts are being made.

To be continued...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

1. The poor
    2. The working class
    3. The long term unemployed

Basically most of the Northside.....nah only messing

Hey! There's nothing wrong with the North side :pac::pac::pac:

But I'd like to see Oliver Plunkett Street as a no parking zone because it's a narrow street already. There's no need for cars and trucks to be parked there (unless they're doing deliveries).

Have something done to the old AIB branch by Patrick's Bridge. That's been gone for a while now. I'd like to see it turned into an electronic store or something. At least then there'd be a lot of shops by McCurtain Street which won't require you to go into the City center.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Paint the old FÁS building it's so dirty at the moment, it's a disgrace.

I'd make sure every building looks after it's upper floors, and it's own frontage, some of the upstairs of buildings are very neglected.

I'd rip up all of the stones used in the new Grand Parade/Patricks Street and put just one of the same type down. I know it's artsy to use different stones here and there, but the way it was implemented by the council, it just looks like we ran out of stone here and there, and used whatever was lying around to fill in the gaps.

I'd pressure all of the shopping centres to lower the rates on their unused units, specfically TK Maxx's centre, and the Merchant's Quay centre too - the city is suffering because of a lack of decent retail outlets. I'd also pressure the owners of the unoccupied units on Patricks Street to do the same. Having multiple closed shops on the main street is unacceptable.

Lastly, I'd encourage cars back into the city centre again, when you could park on the grand parade, and on oliver plunkett street, it was great to go to town. These days for example on Tuckey street alone, there's 4 disabled spaces. I never ever see more than 1 being used. It's a waste of lucrative parking space - and the hassles assosciated with parking is what's driving people to Mahon Point/Wilton/Blackpool. Park n Ride me bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

pedestrianise all of patrick st.
    turf out all the 2 euro and so on shops.
    more corpo sanctioned entertainment on the street and grand parade.
    (not just the free hugs I saw yesterday, not that they were sanctioned).
    fill all the empty units. more ice-cream/food stalls. a market maybe.
    basically, use all the lovely space that's been made.
    gardai permanenty on duty on the street - keep things family friendly all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Nice building that one is and all (AIB over Patricks Bridge). MacCurtain Street itself is a lovely street, a lot of work could be done to really bring it up to standard.

Yeah more food stalls and stuff like that.

• Advertisement

Larkin501 wrote: »
    there'd be a lot of shops by McCurtain Street which won't require you to go into the City center.

And I'd get a big advertising campaign going to remind people that the distance between McCurtain Street/Washington Street and Patrick's street is measured in metres, not miles. It's still the city centre.

Drives me cracked! People standing on Pana, who need something from either Washington Street/North Main Street/Paul Street/McCurtain Street won't walk to get it because it's too far and outside the city centre. No it's bloody well not. I think personally it's this mindset that hampers the expansion of Cork as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Bring back the old tram system.

Turn some of the empty office spaces around the city into housing.

Burn down the Elysian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Bill-e wrote: »
    Bring back the old tram system.

Turn some of the empty office spaces around the city into housing.

Burn down the Elysian.

ah maybe not burn it down:eek: make the prices more realistic so people will actually buy the apartments!,it looks awful at might time!

Get rid of the elysian. Its horrible to look at, it just doesn't belong.

I actually love the Elysian. I think Cork has been the collecting basket of dull, drab, unpainted 3 story buildings for too long. The Elysian, Clarion, and the general renovation of the quays and buildings on Anglesea Street is a breath of fresh air. It's inevitable that some areas in the city will have newer modern buildings, and others will stay as they are, historic and full of character.

Well, now that that's the Elysian off topic bit done, let's try to keep the thread on topic rather than an Elysian discussion thread (There's one in the forum if you want to search on it).

One thing I would love to see in Cork as a whole, is for all junctions to have the yellow hatched areas painted in. There's none on our streets, and as a result people drive into the middle of a junction hoping the traffic will eek forward, and end up causing bedlam. Perfect examples are ouside the Opera house, the junctions around Mahon Point where it meets the link and where the boreenamana meets the link too. Madness, and all for the want of a few gallons of yellow road paint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Seems the consensus is that Corks been going down hill since approximately 1922 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Get Rid of those AWFUL lights from Patrick St. and Grand parade that look like something out of a building site.

Max001 wrote: »
    Seems the consensus is that Corks been going down hill since approximately 1922 :D

Nah, only that we're always thinking of ways to make the place even better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Construct overpasses at the Bandon Roundabout, Wilton Roundabout and Dunkettle Interchange so you can bypass the entire city without hitting a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Taking those horrible metal blobs off of that ledge in front of the library I think is the most important thing they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Aren't they to stop people grinding against the ledge....... just to confirm, grinding on skateboards ;)

Well, I wouldn't know much about that sort of thing, but they're not doing any harm. The handsom devils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

I'd rip up all of the stones used in the new Grand Parade/Patricks Street and put just one of the same type down. I know it's artsy to use different stones here and there, but the way it was implemented by the council, it just looks like we ran out of stone here and there, and used whatever was lying around to fill in the gaps..

I think it looks great, Beth Gaili did a top job.
    The Fas building is to be knocked down sometime next year.

Mine
    1 Get the ESB to put all their power lines underground/out of sight (especially around Shandon)

2 Clean the river walls ( I smell a FAS scheme)

3 Have a ferry service from the city centre to Cobh and other areas.

4 Sort out who has right of way on Pemrose Quay/Horgan Quay (by the Garda club)

5 Stick a zero at the end of all littering fines and have more Wardens.

6 Move the Pegasus Statue from Airport Rd to somewhere where it can be seen for more than half a second.

7 Start the Docklands and Cork Port Projects

8 Conference Centre in the Showgrounds

9 Start the outer North Ring Road.

10 Get the trains back running to Youghal, Bandon, Passage, Kinsale Macroom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

i think they should Create a skatepark as they end up all over the city at the moment,
    also broadband should be improved in the city, speeds should be increased to cater for the business sector.

Is it just me or has more been suggested on how to improve cork here than was ever taught of in city hall/dail.
    Cork has been neglected and deserves better......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Isn't there two skateparks already in cork? I'm pretty sure there's one around Fitzgerald Park. I think it's just a case of them wanting to skate around the streets now at this stage.

• Advertisement

In my unbiased and detached opinion ; Herding people into ghettoes is no solution. In fact there is no problem, only with peoples attitudes towards skateboarding.

"all over the city" Yes they live in cork city, have lived there all their lives and skated around there all their lives, saying that one group of people can't use these public ledges in this way is nothing short of bigotry.

Now of course some of the youngsters are gonna cause troubles every once in a while, but this is because of their youth, and not the skateboards they hold.

Those ledges will never be used as much as they are used by skateboaders right now. There are still ledges to sit on, and if you're not some ignorant old mand whoes afraid of anything they don't understand, you can sit on the ones being skateboarded on too. Many people do. People skating them at 4am in the morning makes them safer for other people too.

You people are ruining the world, restricting people to boxes like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

raah! wrote: »
    In my unbiased and detached opinion. Herding people into ghettoes is no solution. In fact there is no problem, only with peoples attitudes towards skateboarding.

"all over the city" Yes they live in cork city, have lived there all their lives and skated around there all their lives, saying that one group of people can't use these public ledges in this way is nothing short of bigotry.

Now of course some of the youngsters are gonna cause troubles every once in a while, but this is because of their youth, and not the skateboards they hold.

Those ledges will never be used as much as they are used by skateboaders right now. There are still ledges to sit on, and if you're not some ignorant old mand whoes afraid of anything they don't understand, you can sit on the ones being skateboarded on too. Many people do. People skating them at 4am in the morning makes them safer for other people too.

You people are ruining the world, restricting people to boxes like that.

Some valid points, but the streets are not designed for stunts,have seen a few people getting bad falls at the court house and down by paul st.
    Not that safe for them,

It's safer than the two skateparks tbh. Plus they understand the risk involved when they start. As long as no harm falls on other people I think they should be fine.

Although people skating in front of the courthouse when the doors are open is ridiculous, but that's a different matter, and those aren't just skateboarders there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Jimbo wrote: »
    Construct overpasses at the Bandon Roundabout, Wilton Roundabout and Dunkettle Interchange so you can bypass the entire city without hitting a roundabout.

OMG, I'm drooling at the thought of it!!! :pac::pac::pac:

I always found the Skaters to be fine, they never tried to beat me up or anything!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭omerin

the streets should be cleaner, reduce the charges in multi-story car parks and arrest the inbreeds that do an impression of free willy in the early hours of sunday morning. hire some unemployed people to act as litter wardens, they would make the money outlayed on them in fines (base it on the garda traffic corp :pac:)

remove the position of lord mayor, the position is an excuse for a temporary pay rise for an already overpaid and under worked councillor. the money saved could go to building an extension onto the dole office. no one would want to be on the dole, and queing outside the dole office in rain, hail and snow can't add to how they are feeling, the least they are entitled to is shelter.

ajsp. wrote: »
    I always found the Skaters to be fine, they never tried to beat me up or anything!!!!

Exactly...they keep to themselves really so they're no harm. As long as they stop the stupid thing of putting stickers on the block bences on Grand Parade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I would:

1) Complete the North Ring Road
    2) Consider a LUAS running from CIT to Dunkettle, with a link to Mahon Point and Páirc Uí Caoímh
    3) I would establish a historical museum and national archive at the site of the Capitol Cinema on Grand Parade
    4) Fix the city's footpaths
    5) Fix the city's bus stops (i.e. have a rain shelter at each one as well as a timetable)
    6) Clamp down hard on people who don't scoop their dog's poop - Cork is disgraceful in this respect
    7) Stop all further development along the South Ring. The road is bursting at the seams as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

this is the sort of shop I'd like to see gone from the main street of our city.

3842343624_a519561229.jpg

I've heard Boots and HMV are both moving off Partick St. to new premises in the half moon and huguenot quarter - that'll leave another 2 vacancies. I wonder what the street will look like at all.

• Advertisement

deRanged wrote: »
    this is the sort of shop I'd like to see gone from the main street of our city.

3842343624_a519561229.jpg

I've heard Boots and HMV are both moving off Partick St. to new premises in the half moon and huguenot quarter - that'll leave another 2 vacancies. I wonder what the street will look like at all.

Hehe, That Echo guy holding the ladder looking at the drill thinking "WTF is this for"

Advertisement