Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change in Cork???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

deRanged wrote: »
    this is the sort of shop I'd like to see gone from the main street of our city.

3842343624_a519561229.jpg

I've heard Boots and HMV are both moving off Partick St. to new premises in the half moon and huguenot quarter - that'll leave another 2 vacancies. I wonder what the street will look like at all.

Ha ha, Echo guy is a part-time carpenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Jimbo wrote: »
    Construct overpasses at the Bandon Roundabout, Wilton Roundabout and Dunkettle Interchange so you can bypass the entire city without hitting a roundabout.

+1,000,000:),it was apparently planned years ago,after they did the kinsale roundabout flyover,but then nothing happend:rolleyes:

replace all the bus shelter glass with perspex or something unbreakable!,just passed one this evening smashed into a million pieces,looks absolutely dreadful to visitors,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Remove the taxi bases from MacCurtain Street, I'm amazed theres not more crashes there with the amount of them that stop in the middle of the road to pick up from the base.

Would leave to see a DART like system connecting towns to the city.

Fix the roofs on the buildings in St Patrick Street I'm looking at you Con Murphy.

Encourage more shops to open in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

bladebrew wrote: »
    +1,000,000:),it was apparently planned years ago,after they did the kinsale roundabout flyover,but then nothing happend:rolleyes:

replace all the bus shelter glass with perspex or something unbreakable!,just passed one this evening smashed into a million pieces,looks absolutely dreadful to visitors,

The thing is, they scratch and paint perspex...can't really do that to glass (well paint can be at least washed off anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

1. Do up that street...at the end of the Mardyke running down to the Mercy Hospital. Its horrible looking.

2. Down the docks and around by Marina View (behind and east along The Sextant pub)...total revamp..very grotty.

3. Sort out Barrack Street. Efforts are being made.

To be continued...[/quote]

who are you....?
    owen o callaghan or mick o flynn ?

change the weather and get back to 5 years ago prices would do me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Came across another one today the pedestrian crossing linking McDonalds to Douglas Court SC. It's in a ridiculous spot just after the roundabout (where the center blocks your view of the other side) leaving many cars breaking hard. Adding to that people wont walk the 20 feet from the McDonalds and Douglas SC pedestrian entrances down to it.

Irregardless of that what the council were thinking not putting the crossing down adjacent to those entrances we'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

They always seem to do that...very annoying, dangerous and creates artificial hold-ups on the roundabout nevermind scaring pedestrians from using the bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

deRanged wrote: »
    I've heard Boots and HMV are both moving off Partick St. to new premises in the half moon and huguenot quarter - that'll leave another 2 vacancies. I wonder what the street will look like at all.

Boots are staying on Patrick street. I'd like to stop them opening more stores being honest. There are just too many of them when your in the UK. One on every street. We don't need that here.

I think the best thing for the Cork landscape would be the docklands thing to be completed in a hurry. It would add considerably to the streetscape and eliminate that whole derelict, sleazy area. Oh and while they are at it, completely rip down Pairc Ui Choimbh and replace it with a modern, state of the art, stadium.

Not all overly ambitious :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

More bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I haven't fully read all of the replies above but I would teach people how to use roundabouts properly. Moved here nearly 4 years ago and the amount of near-collisions on some of the roundabouts around the city is crazy! Maybe it's down to their layouts but people don't seem to understand that they can't just cross in to other lanes mid-way around the roundabout!!

That's my rant for the day :D

Apart from that I don't think I'd change anything, I love Cork :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

1- Revamp Merchants Quay and Patricks Quay
    2- Clean the bridges, especially Patricks Bridge
    3- Pedestrianise Patrick St
    4-Shandon area paving like Patrick St
    5- Shandon area promote as Artists Quarter
    6- Docklands, lets be honest it will be years but still keep pushing for that Bridge
    7- Fine owners for derelict buildings and CPO more viogorously
    8- Make shopkeepers, responsible for keeping their shop fronts and pavement outside clean
    9- CPO and demolish all the houses below Elizabeth Forth near St. Finabarrs, set up a fund for this.
    10.- Open the ramparts at Elizabeth Forth
    11- A Public Park at the Beamish Brewery.
    12- A Cork City Horse Racecourse at Carrigtohill, linked by rail.
    13- Kent Station, do anything, something with the lands and derelict CIE buildings here
    14- Rail station at Blackpool
    15- Northside campus at Farranferris jointly operated by all 3rd level colleges, simply run some courses here.
    16- Congestion charge for oil and coal trucks using the south Docks. Encourage them to move out.
    17- Remove the Government controlled oil tanks in the South Docks holding up development.
    18 - Marina at Blackrock and City Centre by old Bonded Warehouse
    19- Demolish ugly brick extension to Old Bonded warehouse
    20- Demolish old tax office and have Hotel here
    21- Bonded Warehouse to be turned into restaraunt/nightlife centre
    22- Lobby for tax incentives to apply to individuals living within 1000 yards of the GPO to encourage city centre living on the basis of a more sustainable environment, less carbon foothprint, etc (Greens unfortunately don't understand incentives!)
    23- A centre of Sporting excellence on outskirts of city with facilities for every sport imaginable and to be used bay national and international teams.
    24- Elect politicians with a bit of vision and capable of fighting for development in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Sort out the citys heroin problem before it gets any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'd like a Starbucks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

rebs23 wrote: »
    1- Revamp Merchants Quay and Patricks Quay
    2- Clean the bridges, especially Patricks Bridge
    3- Pedestrianise Patrick St
    4-Shandon area paving like Patrick St
    5- Shandon area promote as Artists Quarter
    6- Docklands, lets be honest it will be years but still keep pushing for that Bridge
    7- Fine owners for derelict buildings and CPO more viogorously
    8- Make shopkeepers, responsible for keeping their shop fronts and pavement outside clean
    9- CPO and demolish all the houses below Elizabeth Forth near St. Finabarrs, set up a fund for this.
    10.- Open the ramparts at Elizabeth Forth
    11- A Public Park at the Beamish Brewery.
    12- A Cork City Horse Racecourse at Carrigtohill, linked by rail.
    13- Kent Station, do anything, something with the lands and derelict CIE buildings here
    14- Rail station at Blackpool
    15- Northside campus at Farranferris jointly operated by all 3rd level colleges, simply run some courses here.
    16- Congestion charge for oil and coal trucks using the south Docks. Encourage them to move out.
    17- Remove the Government controlled oil tanks in the South Docks holding up development.
    18 - Marina at Blackrock and City Centre by old Bonded Warehouse
    19- Demolish ugly brick extension to Old Bonded warehouse
    20- Demolish old tax office and have Hotel here
    21- Bonded Warehouse to be turned into restaraunt/nightlife centre
    22- Lobby for tax incentives to apply to individuals living within 1000 yards of the GPO to encourage city centre living on the basis of a more sustainable environment, less carbon foothprint, etc (Greens unfortunately don't understand incentives!)
    23- A centre of Sporting excellence on outskirts of city with facilities for every sport imaginable and to be used bay national and international teams.
    24- Elect politicians with a bit of vision and capable of fighting for development in Cork.

Why is that closed anyway? Looks like it's in good working order.

sunnyside wrote: »
    I'd like a Starbucks:)

I'll second that one sunnyside :) Great idea!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AceofSpades001

Wow, looks like everyone has kinda touched on all the major issues, so I'll just throw in my minor gripe.

I'd propose a change to some of the traffic light systems in place. My god trying to get through the lights at dennehy's cross from magazine road side is awful, if the person at the light's reflexes aren't catlike, only 2 cars get through before they are red again, with a queue of about 40 cars.:P Thankfully I can just get onto the Wilton Road from Glasheen Road now, but if you wanted to get onto the model farm road you'd just have to suffer at Dennehy's Cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

Wow, looks like everyone has kinda touched on all the major issues, so I'll just throw in my minor gripe.

I'd propose a change to some of the traffic light systems in place. My god trying to get through the lights at dennehy's cross from magazine road side is awful, if the person at the light's reflexes aren't catlike, only 2 cars get through before they are red again, with a queue of about 40 cars.:P Thankfully I can just get onto the Wilton Road from Glasheen Road now, but if you wanted to get onto the model farm road you'd just have to suffer at Dennehy's Cross.

A gripe of mine too.
    I must get a few pictures of the worst spots and start a thread on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Do up the docks, the factories around there are downright eerie after six o'clock at night.
    More nice cafes and places to get takeaway stuff that isn't O'Briens or McDonalds.
    Dunno, town's not great on the whole to be honest...

Namlub wrote: »
    More nice cafes and places to get takeaway stuff that isn't O'Briens or McDonalds.

I think that's probably a problem with most big towns and cities, too many Mc Donalds, Supermacs, Burgerkings, Subways, etc.... and not enough independant cafes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Pedestrianise the entire island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I read (well scanned anyway) four pages of posts and saw maybe one mention of improvements to public transport. Plenty of comments re. pedestrianisation and accommodating car drivers.

I say encourage people to leave their cars at home:
    - Put a bus station next to the railway station - or at least have a shuttle link.
    - More incentives to use public transport - bus lanes, bus shelters, faster links suburb-suburb and suburb-centre, cheaper fares.
    - Better and safer cycling facilities
    - Better parking for motorcycles and cycles

David
    PS and.. a prosperous Kino cinema with new seats and a digital projector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd change

The accent

The siege mentality

Otherwise it's sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 loc32

Get the city cleaners out at 6am so the city is tidy and clean before everyone starts their day. Every other city in europe does this- it amazes how backwards the irish can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

loc32 wrote: »
    Get the city cleaners out at 6am so the city is tidy and clean before everyone starts their day. Every other city in europe does this- it amazes how backwards the irish can be.

I second that. Its an island so the cost of water shouldn't be an issue. The streets literally stink on a sunday and monday morning.

I would also like:

1. The docklands redevelopment to go ahead
    2. For those horrible stalls that sell useless crap in the coal quay to leave (i was there today and saw food stalls which are much better than the usual mobile phone accessories and horrible rock t-shirts
    3. The Paul street shopping centre to be torn down and replaced by a co-operative shopping centre where producers could sell there goods directly to consumers
    4. The capital cinema and the Kino to return to their glory days
    5. The Savoy to go 3 months without closing and getting some good smallish gigs in there
    6. The redevelopment of the city library (which i remember reading about but still seems to be a non-runner)
    7. Something good to go where Zavvi was

Most importantly, i would like the city dwellers to be more aware of the history of the city, people would be less likely to treat it as they do if they had respect for its history

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

in an effort to reduce traffic on our roads:

1. Use the Lee to transport people from places like Monkstown, Passage and Rochestown into town...it can only help alleviate the state of the Rochestown road every morning:mad:

2. Provide real-time information screens just before every busy junction on the South Ring so drivers could make in informed decision on which route to take instead of blindly joining the South Ring only to turn a bend and be stuck in a 2 mile tailback due to some idiot causing an accient:mad:

Others:

3. Build a permanent convert venue down by the Marina, something that would easily handle 5000-7000 people.

..I'll add more when I think of em...tired right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

get a new city council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

I'll second that one sunnyside :) Great idea!!!

there's a star bucks in ucc like, way better than rip off gloria jeans! €3.50 for a medium latté :mad:!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

7. Something good to go where Zavvi was
    Yes to this, what the hell is that Director's Cut place about?
    liberal wrote: »
    there's a star bucks in ucc like, way better than rip off gloria jeans! €3.50 for a medium latté :mad:!
    There is??!! Now someone tells me...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

move the sad fog ridden airport to some other part of the city.....ballincollig or midleton maybe,let ryanair have the old one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

nipplenuts wrote: »
    I'd change

The accent

The siege mentality

Otherwise it's sound!

it was the first thing i thought of. ban the words like and boy too. and renounce roy keane for the traitor he is!!

Advertisement