Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change in Cork???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

it was the first thing i thought of. ban the words like and boy too. and renounce roy keane for the traitor he is!!

fantastic addition to the thread,

Not going to happen but it would be fantastic if Cork was more friendly, it's after getting very big city ish. I currently work in Galway but still come home to Cork every weekend, I go out in Galway the odd Thursday or Friday night and the difference is quite alarming. As a Cork chap it's not something I'm proud of about the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

it was the first thing i thought of. ban the words like and boy too. and renounce roy keane for the traitor he is!!

Just move to Dublin and get it over with. Christ I hate people complaining about the Cork accent. Yeah its course and sing songy but its our accent, so like it or lump it.

Nothing I look forward to when I get back to Cork is listening to the sounds of its fine inhabitants.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah now... You're only helping to reinforce the stereotype with that kinda talk... :)

Turn the Savoy once and for all into a decent venue - what a waste of such a good unit. Ditto where Zavvi was - I doubt Director's Cut is gonna survive.

Give Paul Street SC and Merchants Quay (upstairs at least) a revamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Just move to Dublin and get it over with. Christ I hate people complaining about the Cork accent. Yeah its course and sing songy but its our accent, so like it or lump it.

Nothing I look forward to when I get back to Cork is listening to the sounds of its fine inhabitants.:cool:

Spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭seandugg

rebs23 wrote: »
    5- Shandon area promote as Artists Quarter

For drawing the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

so many options.
    1. A council scheme for unemployed people to clean the entire city centre. Get people working again. The island should be immaculate at all times.
    Could be a 15-20 hour week with half dole money.
    **the corporation is a disgrace. There's a joke where someone asks Jimmy how he's getting on in the corpo. "They sacked me...because I was caught working!!"
    2. As mentioned, a completely pedestrianised island in the centre.
    3. A dedicated music venue akin to the O2 in the Docklands where the marque is located.
    4. A LUAS type transport from CIT to the train station.
    Stops would include (CIT, CUH, UCC, Washington St, Patricks St, McCurtain St and Kent Station)
    5. A modernised train system to Little Island.
    6. An annual cork city triathlon, swim in the lee and using the existing marathon route for the bike and the city centre for the run. Cool!
    7. An annual Cork City carnival like the Notting hill one.
    8. A financial district in the docklands akin to Canary Wharf. (dreaming). All along Kennedy quay. It's an eyesore.
    9. An all seater pairc ui caoimh. A modernised stadium with all the facilities of a 21st Century stadium. A roof would be nice too. (dreaming). This would draw in other sports too such as american football, tennis etc thus drawing in crowds and helping the local economy.
    10. A high speed train to Dublin and belfast like the Eurostar. (dreaming)
    11. The Kino and Capitol to be completely modernised and brought back to former glory!
    Cork City has so much potential but this is squandered by the lack of vision in the city council but also the funds to realise it.
    12. Fix the PORT OF CORK light bulb for the letter R. Last time i checked it read PORT OF CO K at nightime.
    13. A government sopnsored taxi system like in new york or london. Far too many cabs and taxi's on the roads. What colour should the cab's be? RED!!!
    14. COMPLETE DREAM. Cork to become an independent state like Venice in times past. With it's own local government and specific tax rules which would draw in investment from overseas using our docklands financial centre Ring Wharf DREAM ON foxyboxer

It's great to see the likes of Opera lane opening. Cork city really could be a little gem in Europe as opposed to it currently being the Gem of Ireland...boy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

foxyboxer wrote: »
    14. COMPLETE DREAM. Cork to become an independent state like Venice in times past. With it's own local government and specific tax rules which would draw in investment from overseas using our docklands financial centre Ring Wharf DREAM ON foxyboxer

If there was a referendum in the morning for an independent Cork (or even autonomy), I would vote yes without even blinking an eye. Sick of living in the 26-county Republic of Dublin at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The eyesore next to city hall, maybe we could implode it and leave it fall on the hall while the coucil is in session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Just move to Dublin and get it over with, like. Christ I hate people complaining about the Cork accent, like. Yeah its course and sing songy but its our accent,like, so like it or lump it, boyo.

Nothing I look forward to when I get back to Cork, like, is listening to the sounds of its fine inhabitants, like, boyo.:cool:

Sorted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Get rid of the elysian. Its horrible to look at, it just doesn't belong.

Someone told me that there are only 5 tenants living there. :confused:

Anyway:
    1. Do somthing with the old Capital Cineplex and the boarded up shops next to it. (it looks just awful)
    2. More street activities/events on the Grand Parade, the place is dead most of the time.
    3. As said before, more food and ice-cream shops/stalls in the city centre.
    4. Tear dwon the new HUGE Tesco in Douglas, its a village for Christ's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Someone told me that there are only 5 tenants living there. :confused:

Anyway:
    1. Do somthing with the old Capital Cineplex and the boarded up shops next to it. (it looks just awful)
    2. More street activities/events on the Grand Parade, the place is dead most of the time.
    3. As said before, more food and ice-cream shops/stalls in the city centre.
    4. Tear dwon the new HUGE Tesco in Douglas, its a village for Christ's sake.

get rid of dumb people from the city

1....area and shops are owned by developer with plans for the area all the way back to where mutton lane inn area
    2....I'm sure most cities have marching,bands and performers on every corner keeeping morale up for the locals
    3....me like ice cream too,ffs where do you think you are beverly hills 90210
    4....:confused::rolleyes:,well done it has a population of approx 25,000 its a village alright so after tearing down tesco please replace with a Post Office I suppose

only kidding,good ideas really............

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

My 2 biggies, which have been mentioned but no harm saying them again, are:

1. Convert the bonded warehouses into a tourist / cafe / artisty type of place. If anyone's been to Boston think of Quincy Market and what they've done to the old warehouses there etc.

quincy-market.jpg

or the old dockside warehouses in Sydney, Australia:

475243390_8c4ca1b374.jpg

It is a fantastic location at the head of the central island in Cork only minutes from the Bus and Train stations and with Cork named one of the top 10 cities to visit in 2010 this place could be a serious moneyspinner / focal point for the city. I think it's a disgrace to see the place falling down as it is. One of the best buildings the city has.

2. Give Cork it's OWN TRANSPORT AUTHORITY! I can't imagine any city in Europe the size of Cork not having it's own tansport authority. We need a functional rail and bus system that is interconnected and NOT controlled by CIE which can't see beyond the M50. We need better bus lanes and North-South and East-West rapid bus corridors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yep, lots of good suggestions here.

Own transport Authority with its own powers i.e not in CIE
    Elected mayors or city mangers.
    More power in local government to do what it needs for the city and not be at the begging bowel of the national government.

If we get those than the other things can follow, until that well same ol ****e, different day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

namloc1980 wrote: »
    1. Convert the bonded warehouses
    and where would all the stuff that's imported through there go?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,275 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

deRanged wrote: »
    and where would all the stuff that's imported through there go?
    there are thousands of square feet of vacant warehousing in cork after the boom. not sure the bonded warehouses are used much anyway, never see much activity down there

Advertisement