Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog half toilet trained.

Options
  • 19-08-2009 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I have a 10 week old Cavalier King Charles. We've been trying to toilet train him for the past 2 weeks.

He has copped on to piss on the papers we've laid out for him on the floor but still takes the liberty of crapping all over the floor...

Any ideas on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Don't use papers as it only confuses the dog when you want to train him to go outside. When you see he needs to go to the toilet pick him up and bring him outside. When he goes outside give a treat and praise him. As he is still very young he may need go to the toilet every hour.
    It will take time but be patient. There will be accidents and he will pee or poo inside but don't give out to him when he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that puppies at that age don't have the muscle control necessary to be toilet trained. It'll be another 4 or 5 weeks before you can expect any real progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Our pup is 18 weeks old and getting there but only in the last 2-3 weeks. He also very rarely poops on the papers, must not like doing it near his pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Poor puppy, at that age the pup can't help it and won't be able to hold everything in for some time yet. You need to be patient, also I'd get rid of the paper it's pointless really as I've learned it's a lot easier to pop the pup in the garden for a pee and a poop on a regular basis.

Puppies that age need to be fed a lot so poop and pee a lot, they need to go to the loo when they wake up, after a nap as well, after eating and drinking and then generally throughout the day.

Never give out when a pup has an accident just ignore it and clean it up quickly the next time then just be quicker on your feet bringing the pup out. Crate training at night helps a lot too but you have to be prepared for very broken sleep throughout the night to take the pup out for a pee or poop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye Guineapig is right,

they still dont' have full control over going, when they need to go, they go.
    We used newspapers near the backdoor but she was half trained that way when we got her so we just continued it. If we saw her goin somewhere else we'd put her out the back quick.
    Best to put the pup out often, especially after a big drink or eating or sleeps.
    Lots of praise when they go outside (my pups 7months and I still tell her she's a good girl when she goes on the grass).

Just takes lots of patience, they can't really help it yet, but they'll learn going on the grass/outside = good/praise so when they have better control they'll know where they should go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭behan29

I used 'it's me or the dog' book to train our dog. The only thing that would work was to put him outside every hour or two hours when he pee'd giving him lots of praise. He got the hang of it in two days. The papers don't work. I recommend getting that book though, I think its great for understanding lots of things and its excellent for puppy advice and training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aishling1982

mags16 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I have heard that puppies at that age don't have the muscle control necessary to be toilet trained. It'll be another 4 or 5 weeks before you can expect any real progress.

You are right mags16, it can take anything up to 3-5 months for a dog to be house trained. Crate training is quicker but requires alot of committment from the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

I read on a dog training site that a puppy can hold it at 8 weeks it's just when they feel like going they will go, so that's why it's good to crate train them because they don't like to go where they sleep so will hold it till you bring them out in the morning. Sounds kind of iffy to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

As a general rule pups have about 1 hour of bladder control per week of age. If that puppy is 2.5 months old, he can hold his bladder for around 2.5 hours, give or take a bit.

My own puppy took a while to toilet train, but even at 10 or 11 weeks old she understood that she shouldn't be pooping in the house; I think she's only done it 4-5 times in the last 2 months that I've had her. Peeing was a different matter and took longer.

Get rid of the papers/ pee pads (that just teaches them its fine to go toilet indoors), take the puppy out regularly and try training him to a command to pee/poop. Praise him like he pooped a diamond if he goes outdoors. For my puppy, I repeated "be clean" every time she pee/pooped outdoors, and treated her like crazy, and if she did it indoors I just took her outside, and cleaned up without any shouting/slapping/fuss. It's no good tell them off for going indoors.

First step is definitely to get rid of the papers on the floor. And bear in mind that it may take several more weeks to get the puppy fully trained. You should be able to reduce the frequency of accidents pretty fast though.
    I read on a dog training site that a puppy can hold it at 8 weeks it's just when they feel like going they will go, so that's why it's good to crate train them because they don't like to go where they sleep so will hold it till you bring them out in the morning. Sounds kind of iffy to me though.

Yes and no; my puppy has never pooped in her crate, and can last around 5-6 hours in her crate without peeing, as long as I've let her out just before crating her. Unfortunately she usually can't last for a whole 7-8 hours overnight without an accident, but I don't expect her to at this age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

You will soon start to cop to when he/she is about to drop one on your floor.

Don't be hard to the little thing as like the other says it is still a bit young for training. Wait till it's about 3 years old and it's pissing rain outside it might do the odd pee inside then too rather than getting wet!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement