Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sccool fees / Voluntary contributions

Options
  • 19-08-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My eldest is going into transition year next month (his choice hopefully help with his decisions for the leaving etc).

Anyway we received a letter from the school yesterday outlining the parent meeting at the start of the school year. The transition year meeting is on September 3rd. The kicker in the letter is that school fees are due this night.

There was a page outlining the fees / voluntary contributions and they come to a total of €480.

Now don't get me wrong I don't have a problem paying the fees but I do have a problem with being given 3 weeks notice for a €480 payment and the term "Voluntary contribution €150" its not as if the school couldn't have sent these details out at the end of the previous school year.

It's a bit much I think to expect parents to come up with this amount after 3 weeks notice especially if there are 4 or 5 kids of school going age.

Regards,
    Tip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭fiona12

Could you not go and speak to the principal to get it paid in weekly installments? I am sure the principal would accomodate parents with more than one child in school

Keyword = voluntary - A word meaning "done, given, or acting of one's own free will" (Wikipedia) If you can't afford this, explain to the principal that you have it hard enough as it is and your reasons for not paying this Voluntary fee.

Am I wrong in thinking because its voluntary that you will not be judged when not being able to pay it? :confused:

I mean this is tough times for everyone, isn't it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I have a son going into TY in Sept also. We had meetings about TY as early as last April and the fees were 490. However it was to be paid in three installments of 200, 200, and 190 due in May.July and the end of October. That has made it much easier to pay. Our voluntary contribution is 250 per family which can be paid quarterly. I'm happy enough to do that and benefited as we had 3 in the school at one point!

Slightly off topic I wish I could pay college reg fee of 1500 in a couple of tranches too! That really throws the budget out the window in this house!

Advertisement