Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting @ The Millhouse, The Steelworks, Foley Street, Dublin 1

Options
  • 19-08-2009 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hiya,

I've been proposed to rent an apt in this complex The Steelworks.
    I'm not familiar with that area, anyone lives nearby or knows if secure, etc. ?

Always lived in D2/D4 areas, so not v. familiar with Northside.

cheers
    andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Delirio wrote: »
    Hiya,

I've been proposed to rent an apt in this complex The Steelworks.
    I'm not familiar with that area, anyone lives nearby or knows if secure, etc. ?

Always lived in D2/D4 areas, so not v. familiar with Northside.

cheers
    andy

The apartments look nice but personally wouldn't fancy walking around there too much at night. So for me I wouldn't take one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 helloguys

i agree not a good area. ya wont enjoy it.lived there

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Delirio

thanks for your replies, you listed my same worries.
    dont wanna have any sort of trouble walking around the area or being concerned of my wife returning home by herself after a night out.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Go down there about 7.30-8.30, that's when the locals start wailing like a cross between banshees and werewolves. It's funny to listen to when i'm still in work but on that noise basis alone I wouldn't live there. I work across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

It's noisy and there's a lot of (harmless) scum floating about - but that's the city centre in general. Otherwise a fabulous location for work and amenities. The complex itself is likely to be very secure. Depends what you're looking for, really. I'm guessing if you've always lived in the city centre - a bit of noise and a few bums asking for smokes/change/etc ain't exactly gonna put the frighteners on ya. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

My girlfriend works across the road from them. I hear about what the area is like on a weekly basis , cars getting burned out during the day, junkies shooting up on the street. I definitely wouldn't live there, I can only imagine what its like there at night . Also she got mugged around the corner from there. On Amiens st at 8.45am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

When thinking of buying/renting in an area always take a stroll around at night. See what the neighbourhood is like "after hours"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭pearcider

My girlfriend works across the road from them. I hear about what the area is like on a weekly basis , cars getting burned out during the day, junkies shooting up on the street. I definitely wouldn't live there, I can only imagine what its like there at night . Also she got mugged around the corner from there. On Amiens st at 8.45am
    Amiens street is one of the busiest streets in Dublin at 8:45 in the morning. Thousands of cars and hundreds of pedestrians. I find it very hard to believe she was mugged in broad daylight. Never seen shooting up on da street either - seen it at the custom house and in smithfield tho. Never seen a car getting burnt out there either. I know the area fairly well...have friends living there and work there every day. I think people are being very OTT in this thread.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

pearcider wrote: »
    Amiens street is one of the busiest streets in Dublin at 8:45 in the morning. Thousands of cars and hundreds of pedestrians. I find it very hard to believe she was mugged in broad daylight. Never seen shooting up on da street either - seen it at the custom house and in smithfield tho. Never seen a car getting burnt out there either. I know the area fairly well...have friends living there and work there every day. I think people are being very OTT in this thread.:rolleyes:

Look your talking about a place between Amiens Street and Summerhill. I wouldn't fancy my girlfriend walking around there at night. Big cities can be dangerous and some places are worse than others.

pearcider wrote: »

Well she did, he got away on a bike down into Sheriff st (A Guard even followed him on a motorbike but he got away).

As for the shooting up on the street/burning out a van. They also happened and are on CCTV.

If it was me I would stay well away, its not like they are cheap places you could get a place in D4 or D6 for the same price or even less.

• Advertisement

I made up my mind and decide to rent a place in Grand canal Dock instead. About 300eur more expensive, but surely nicer and better area...etc. !

300 more Really, taught it would be around the same? How much you paying (if you dont mind me asking).

irishguy wrote: »
    300 more Really, taught it would be around the same? How much you paying (if you dont mind me asking).

1300eur. it was 1000 in foley street.
    get 2 bedrooms now and newer furnishing, etc. instead of 1
    then comparing the area gran canal must be surely nicer.

Delirio wrote: »
    1300eur. it was 1000 in foley street.
    get 2 bedrooms now and newer furnishing, etc. instead of 1
    then comparing the area gran canal must be surely nicer.

I live down the road. its a nice area alright, close to town/beach very handy. I taught you would get it cheaper than that, seen as there are so many on at the moment.

I've been looking @ daft for the past 3 weeks and went to view few places. True there is a good selection at the moment, but I noticed average price for a centrally located area you won't get it cheaper then 1100eur, single room. Of course I am talking about newish apartments blocks with decent furniture set, wooden floor, appliances, etc.

I decided for this one as for 1300 I get 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a pretty decent furniture and Liffley view (if I stick my head out the balcony and focus hardly on the horizon) ;)

Even if I must say I was hoping to get out with something cheaper.

Advertisement