Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car hasnt moved in over 2months

• 19-08-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I live in a housing estate in galway not owned by the council, our house is in a tiny cul de sac of sorts. Over two months ago a car was left parked across the road, it hasnt been moved or even touched since then.
    I was just wondering would reporting it to the guards or council be the way to go? and would it be removed?

thanks for your help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Is it taxed ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have one dumped on our street. There is no tax, the owner apparently has a resident's permit, despite not and never having been being a resident.
    It has flat tyres and is an awful eyesore.
    We can do nothing because he has that permit, however he got it. He has a history of dumping vehicles on the street - it's only small - 9 houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Report it, owner will be notified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

spurious wrote: »
    We have one dumped on our street. There is no tax, the owner apparently has a resident's permit, despite not and never having been being a resident.
    It has flat tyres and is an awful eyesore.
    We can do nothing because he has that permit, however he got it. He has a history of dumping vehicles on the street - it's only small - 9 houses.

Once it has no tax it can be removed by the council. Have had this done before with no issues

Remove the number plates as well ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Hal1 wrote: »
    Report it, owner will be notified.

He wouldn't be able to find out who reported it would he?
    He's a rather unsavoury individual.

I did report it by email and was told he had a legitimate permit to park there, but maybe I'll try it in writing.

• Advertisement

furtzy wrote: »

Remove the number plates as well ;)

This happened a previous dumped car of his. How, I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

i noticed a disc on it never looked closely at it, must recheck it to see if its in date. if not ill report it to the council or guards, whoevers more helpful!
    im really getting fed up looking at this car, and in our little cul de sac thing, its hard enough to get cars into our house driveway or in front of our house without that yoke being there.

but thanks a mill guys! :)

What car is it? could it be lifted to a suitable location? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe there is a valid reason why the car hasn't been moved - maybe there's something wrong with it, maybe the car isn't taxed/insured, maybe the owner/driver has had their license suspended, etc.

If it's not causing a problem, and not totally abandoned, then what's the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ring the guards with the reg no.....they'll know if its owned by him or not...this type of thing happens a lot in private estates where "traders" store cars theyre trying to sell......;)

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    If it's not causing a problem, and not totally abandoned, then what's the problem?
    im really getting fed up looking at this car, and in our little cul de sac thing, its hard enough to get cars into our house driveway or in front of our house without that yoke being there.

but thanks a mill guys! :)

The OP mentioned this in his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

I also dont know who owns it, but it just literally appeared one day! the house next door to us has different people in it nearly every month its hard to keep trake on whos living there. ill check the disc and ring the guards anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

There's a 95 XJ6 Jaguar which has been parked in the same spopt in the Lusk Village housing estate for years. The NCT disc dates back to 2005!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

If its a private estate, then I guess its not a public road and thus it cant be moved for Tax reasons?

W.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If it's on a publicly accessible road I believe it may require valid tax. I know this is true for insurance at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Local authorities have no standard policy on abandoned cars (or refuse charges, water charges, or planning matters - makes me wonder what do the Dept of the Environment staff actually do).

Find out what the Environment section in the local authority thinks. Some view abandoned cars as litter, some view them as a fire hazard, and some have no view on them. As a result some will take them away and some will not. Generally it's cheaper to leave them where they have been abandoned and more local authorities are developing this policy.

If the local authority is not interested then the Gardaí are supposed to be, if tax is out etc. Again tho, the amount of interest can vary greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

JHMEG wrote: »
    If the local authority is not interested then the Gardaí are supposed to be, if tax is out etc. Again tho, the amount of interest can vary greatly.

The only interest Gardai would have is if the car is being driven on the roads. If it is parked up such as in this case it is the Councils job to remove it or contact the owner of the car.

In some cases Gardai can and do have a quiet word with the owner to have it removed as it can create an eyesore for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

TheNog wrote: »
    The only interest Gardai would have is if the car is being driven on the roads.
    The roads in housing estates are public roads once handed over to the local authority, and hence no tax is an offence.
    TheNog wrote: »
    If it is parked up such as in this case it is the Councils job to remove it or contact the owner of the car.
    As I said it varies. My local authority has no interest in abandoned cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Have the same problem, with a neighbours car beat up fiesta. No tax,

insurance or NCT. No plates on it, flat tire and dented up to hell. Gardai say

its the councils litter problem. Council say there tracing the owner!

Oh he's left the country with he's family(does it once a year for about

2months). Cars bein sitting there for 2months already. Half tempted to

get it towed away, but then i'd probably get done for thief. Can't win.

Advertisement