Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rats in the flat. Tenancy rights?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

A mate of mine recently moved in to a fairly modern flat in Dublin city center. He immediately discovered the flat was infested with large brown rats. They ate his food and soiled the floor. Their rummaging and scratching kept him and his girlfriend awake at night. He rang the well known, Daft approved letting agency who said nothing could be done, because the landlord was on holiday.

He sent them a photo of the rats. The relented, saying his deposit and rent would be returned. He moved out, and forked out another deposit and months rent for a new place.

The landlord returned from holiday and said he would return the deposit only, but because 28 days notice was not given, he would not return the months rent. The letting agency say they cannot return the rent without the landlords sayso.

What are my friends rights and options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

You'll have to take it up with the landlord as he has the money, but if the place wasn't habitable they should never being allowed rent the place

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seabhcan wrote: »
    He rang the well known, Daft approved letting agency
    As far as I know, Daft only do advertising, not letting.

There are rats, the property is not suited for its intended use and he is entitled to his money back.

Any problems or delays, mention that a complaint will be brought to the PRTB (for the money) and the Housing Section (for the rats) of Dublin City Council.

Advertisement