Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to go to Rome alone.

• 19-08-2009 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Ok, decided that i'm going to head to Rome for a couple of days.
    But, im not used to travelling much, and i've a lot of questions!

1) What should i bring with me? Asides from Passport, camera, etc.
    2) Is it easy to get across the city? Ryanair flights seem to drop you a decent bit outside the city centre, and i dont want to have to be getting a lot of taxis to places.

3) I'm thinking of staying in a hostel. Are they safe to stay in? Where would be the best place to get booking one? (ie websites)
    3b) I'm travelling alone. Would i be safe going around everywhere alone? Especially at night (Not going to head out every night, but maybe once or twice)
    3c) What's the nightlife like over there?

4) Anyone have any suggestions of what to see? Going for a week, and planning on seeing The colusseum, leaning tower of pisa, the vatican, some of the museums. Anything else that needs seeing?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Hey,, let me just say this is my first post so i dunno if ill be any help:):) but ill try,,,

I just returned from travalling last Sunday (of which Rome was one destination), Ive been to Rome a few times now and i have to say it is one amazing city,,,, some things you should know,,,

the best and cheapest hostels,, well hostelbookers.com and hostelworld.com are normally the best but book as soon as you can because we turned up and had to shell out for a hotel :(:( as all the hostels where full

Plenty of suncream-rome is extremely hot and difficult to walk around in becuase of all the heat coming from the many cars combined with the baking sun

bring a pair of pants if you plan on visiting the vatican they dont leave you in otherwise if you have shorts on above the knees (also one go earlier in the morning or late in the eving as the queues are insane ), its free to enter the basicallia but to enter the musuems it costs about 12 euro. Im not jokin here you could spent a day in tat museum so make sure you go early as the queues are ridiculous!!

Rome is very safe apart from all the begger which you can easily ignore!

Which airport are you arriving to davinci or fuminico? in any case it doesnt matter as they both have a train to the main train station in central rome (called termini station) cant remember how much this way--around 4 euro??
    Anyways from termini you can get the metro to anywhere in the city which costs 1 euro per trip (meaning you pay a euro and u can stay underground as long as you want), the ticket expires once you leave the metro,
    Rome it quite enjoyable to walk around but if its very hot whizz around on the metro its efficient and easy,, keep an eye on your pockets tough!!!!

Hope this helped :):)

Edit- Never get a taxi in rome, they will bring you for a ride! Was there with my parents when i was younger and not bein onces to figure out trains they ended up payin 70 euro for a five min taxi ride :(:(:( their rip off artists!!

Advertisement