Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A question RE:RROD

• 19-08-2009 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well first of all this is just a question about RROD's on the 360..

After playing two new games yesterday both were using the DVD drive in my 360 and it made me think,Surely that's pumping out a lot of heat(and noise :pac: ) which could link to the RROD.

My believing of it is,The heat cause something to expand meaning the GPU isn't correctly connected..

So if you burn every game you play to the hard disk this is surely reducing the console temperature greatly?As the Hard drive is kind of an external component the heat from that should be escaping from the top of it and not effecting the console,Compared to the DVD drive running at full speed to read the data on the disc?

Can anyone confirm this or possibly tell me I'm just wrong? :pac:

I haven't posted that in the RROD thread cause I've assumed that is just for people seeking advice on RROD problems

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

You're absolutely right, it helps in preventing RROD, but it won't prevent it completely.
    The whole console is badly designed, airflow + materials used (cheap pcb, radiators even fans and fans duct) together with free-lead solder makes it vulnerable to RROD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Ricky91t wrote: »
    So if you burn every game you play to the hard disk this is surely reducing the console temperature greatly?As the Hard drive is kind of an external component the heat from that should be escaping from the top of it and not effecting the console,Compared to the DVD drive running at full speed to read the data on the disc?

Can anyone confirm this or possibly tell me I'm just wrong? :pac:

You are indeed right, installing the games to the hd does reduce heat, not to mention extend the life of the disc drive no end and makes it a lot quieter when playing games! It's an all round win win situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

so far so good for me, i have a non-hdmi model. for full air circulation, I have lying down on two pieces of window upstand and nothing is around the console blocking the air circulation.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

docentore wrote: »
    The whole console is badly designed...

Definitely agree with this. Mine just RROD'd last nite, the second time for me. :rolleyes:
    Reading some of the other posts about RROD and buying new consoles these days - it seems the new Arcade consoles in shops are those Jasper models? Does anyone know if any of the current Elites are also Jaspers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the current Elites are also Jaspers?

You can't know for sure unless you open it up unfortunatley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Any game Im going to play for a bit I load onto the harddrive, quieter and safer for the 360..

Wouldnt load PGR4 on tho, as it messes up the audio, when you do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just out of interest is this ventalated well enough?

56ABF84CE9AE4F59BFC6A84B604D3017-800.jpg

6D81BCF394A642B5A276865E9734690C-800.jpg

Might also help others if it's a good place to have it :)

mise wrote: »
    Any game Im going to play for a bit I load onto the harddrive, quieter and safer for the 360..

Wouldnt load PGR4 on tho, as it messes up the audio, when you do

Thanks for that,Always wondered why some PGR4 cars crackled a bit when on inside view...That's obviously why,Although I'd rather suffer that that RROD'ing my console :pac:

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Just out of interest is this ventalated well enough?

Might also help others if it's a good place to have it :)

not bad, if you could get something underneath the console, you may get a little more ventilation as there are even more ventilation holes there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

Would having it vertical solve that problem of ventilating from below

• Advertisement

I'd rather keep it flat so nothing or no one could knock it over,Have alot of cats that would easily knock it over :eek:

then your blocking the other ventilation holes :p with my method, at least there is air circulating in every side. i dont know if it makes a big difference but Im giving it a fighting chance anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the current Elites are also Jaspers?

The red Resident Evil edition Elites are all Jaspers, I have one. They might be harder to track down now though and the color is a love it or hate it kind of thing :).

http://www.toys.ie/X360-ELITE-RED-CONSOLE-WITH-RESIDENT-EVIL-5-!G01235-prod.aspx?qwSessionID=7eaf6e75-1f51-4e8c-b374-30c770e61b0f

It's also listed for €279, instead of €299 for the black Elite...

Thanks for that info J-blk. Suppose I'm not too pushed about colour if it means it's a model less likely to give me trouble. :)

Think I'll have a look about at the wkend to see what deals the shops have these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Just out of curiousity, do those xbox cooling fans that slip on to the back of the machine have any effect at all?

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity, do those xbox cooling fans that slip on to the back of the machine have any effect at all?

I'd say they'd do very little if anything...But I could be wrong,To do a real test you'd want to buy an old xbox 360,Put a thermometer in the unit(which would void the warranty of a new one!) and run it for four hours or so away from radiators,computers and as far away for a TV or anything else that emits heat,Play a DVD on loop(or play for for hours :pac:) and by the end the temperature should be fairly stable.

Then do the same using the fans playing a video/game for the same time see if the temperature has adjusted and by how much..

I've had a look and can't find any reviews so you could be wasting ~ €10 on something that's just using more power..

It'll be very pricey to test it out too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Hi - I wouldn't bother with those fan thingys...there are murmurs that attaching/powering the fan via usb also overheats the unit.

RROD happens to us all......eventually.
    I've had it twice.
    But now I'm a very proud owner of a Jasper Arcade :D

Here's hoping for a couple of years of healthy gaming !!

Picked up a Jasper elite today in HMV - €265 including Resi5 and a second controller, only really wanted the console so it seemed to be a better deal than Game (€303 + 2 selected games) and Gamestop (€350 + 1 game + wireless adaptor) were running. Touch wood no more RROD.

Advertisement