Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

school supplies

Options
  • 19-08-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all,

So my eldest is starting secondary and two younger ones in 1st & 2nd.

I am after buying all the books for the eldest :eek: could not believe the amount of money it cost. I don't know how people are able to afford this with 2/3 in secondary school.

Anyways, I have to get a backpack, as I did not go to school in Ireland I don't really know what kind of backpack to get. How many subjects does he do per day? I guess my question is how big this bag should be and what weight would he be carrying around in it?

many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

does the school not have lockers (although this can cause its own problems).

I would reckon pick the six largest books / subjects include copies for each journal, pencil case, lunchbox add 15% to size / weight for my miscalculations and you have probably the rough weight and size the bag should be.

He should probably have a second bag for PE gear.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

I found the best ones were 45l rucksacks from Millets (or similar outdoor stores); it has a padded back & a hip belt which transfers the weight to the legs.

My eldest used hers for 6 years in secondary and its still going strong now she's in University.

One good thing about the books is that you won't have much more to buy for the next three years.

Advertisement