Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Problems

Options
  • 19-08-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I got myself a MacGregor Mactec NVG2 last week and have now developed a wicked slice.
    I know I made a cardinal sin of not trying before I bought but hey, its done now.
    Its a regular flex graphite shaft and i have a fairly fast swing speed.
    Could it just be that I need a stiffer shaft to straighten up the clubface on inpact or do I need to redevelop my swing?
    My irons are all good hits with no hook,slice,draw or fade.
    Swing or Shaft or Club?
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

jonnieb wrote: »
    I got myself a MacGregor Mactec NVG2 last week and have now developed a wicked slice.
    I know I made a cardinal sin of not trying before I bought but hey, its done now.
    Its a regular flex graphite shaft and i have a fairly fast swing speed.
    Could it just be that I need a stiffer shaft to straighten up the clubface on inpact or do I need to redevelop my swing?
    My irons are all good hits with no hook,slice,draw or fade.
    Swing or Shaft or Club?
    Any ideas?
    reg shaft+fast swing = aim left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭BombSquad

quote]

Could be any of a million reasons... What loft was your previous driver? A shaft that's too flexible is supposed to make the ball hook rather than slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Could it just be that I need a stiffer shaft
    I would say yes or a steel shafted one !!
    I had terrible trouble (slice) with all graphite 3 woods I tried, until I 'happened' upon an old steel shafted one, and now all my 3 wood shots are (reasonably) straight !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jonnieb

Could be any of a million reasons... What loft was your previous driver? A shaft that's too flexible is supposed to make the ball hook rather than slice.[/quote]

I was using a ping g5 with a loft of 9 degrees with regular shaft, had to give it to an in law unfortunately!!
    Was hitting that more consistantly but a couple of slices along the way.
    So would it be a softer one??
    I know I should reaaly go to a pro but i'm just curious all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

How to fix the Golf Slice?
    The simplest fix for a slice is in the grip. By having a "weak grip", a grip that is turned more counter-clockwise, (opposite for lefties), can cause the club face to open at the time of impact. Start by turning your grip slightly to the right, (left for lefties), thus giving you a "stronger grip", not holding the club more tightly. Remember the basics and only hold the club tight enough to keep control. You should not have any tension on your wrist and forearms.

You may want to try increasing your swing speed by pulling the club farther back before swinging to fix your golf slice. I recently purchased a new Nike stiff flex 450cc driver, and started slicing hard. My previous driver was a regular flex. After increasing my swing speed I gained around 30 yards over my old regular flex driver, and am hitting the fairways roughly the same percentage of time.

Make sure not to bend over too far or round house your swing similar to a baseball swing. Bring your club back straight and follow through on the swing.

Point the label on the ball in the direction you want it to go when teeing it up. This way you can concentrate on the ball without looking up.

[*]Stand Straighter
      [*]Bend Knees Slightly
      [*]Keep Feet Shoulder Width
      [*]Line Up Ball with Front Foot
      [*]Tip the Club Face in Just a Bit
      [*]Loosen Your Grip
      [*]Keep Your Eye on the Ball
      [*]Clear Your Mind
      [*]Now Hit the Fairway

I hope this helps fix your golf slice. golf_tips.gifPractice the stronger grip and check your results. Changing your grip should be slight, over compensating can cause other problems with your swing or begin to cause you to Hook. Most Slicing is from a "weak grip", but you must have the proper basics of a swing to properly correct your Slice.

• Advertisement
    • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 jonnieb

Thanks Bostoncommon,

Tried all that at the weekend at the range with no luck!
      Maybe my temper got the better of me and I know I'm not going to fix it over night.
      With my same swing, I can hit other drivers pretty good, just not my own!!
      Should I not be slicing all clubs and not just the driver and do you have different grips for your driver vs. your irons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

Thanks Bostoncommon,

Tried all that at the weekend at the range with no luck!
      Maybe my temper got the better of me and I know I'm not going to fix it over night.
      With my same swing, I can hit other drivers pretty good, just not my own!!
      Should I not be slicing all clubs and not just the driver and do you have different grips for your driver vs. your irons?
      Try here jonnieb http://www.videojug.com/film/golf-why-we-slice-the-ball
      and I'd recommend you check out other videos by the same author namely how to set up.

Advertisement