Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BS STANDARDS FOR LOCKS AND SAFES

Options
  • 19-08-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    can anyone tell me where to find the bs3621 standard for door locks???
    have looked at the british standards website but cant find it unless i pay £84 for the publication.
    I have good standard multi bolt locks but they have no kitemark on them.
    does anyone else have these marks on their locks????
    any info please post it here, also the bs for gunsafes would be helpful

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

you have to buy the BS normally from the BSI then if you put up on the net its against the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

you have to buy the BS normally from the BSI then if you put up on the net its against the law.
    I'm sorry but I keep reading BS as meaning something else. :D Try that sentence again and see what I mean :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,358 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There are plenty of subscription websites that list them. but to be honest, a copy of BS-3621 isn't going to be any use to you.

It will likely give loading for various grades and uses. You have no way of telling if a lock complies by looking at it.
    Find the manufacturer and check with them, most, if not all, modern locks will comply (except ones bought cheaply in china etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I found this on a locksmithing forum, it's a synopsis of an older version of BS3621.
    The current standard appears to be BS3621:2007, but I haven't found that anywhere; so unless someone wants to spend the money for the current version, I'd be prepared to accept that it's not radically different from this.

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9496&sid=e15d9bad175d2016bddb81a2cde28563
    Scope

the british standard specifies design requirements,test methods, and performance requirements for thief resistant locks operated by keys with mechanical patterns and intended for fixed mounting on hinged or sliding doors, to provide reasonable security against unauthorised entry.
    provision is made within the specification for locks having claw or hook bolts mounted on hinged or sliding doors and for locks having spring bolts or dead bolts of either single or multiple throw mounted on hinged doors.

Design Requirements

fixing screws for the locks, staples or striker plates to be concealed or locked when the door is locked and the key removed.

where the security bolt is controlled by handles or knobs they shall be disconnected from the security bolt/deadlocked or capable of being rendered inactive.

The throw of the main bolt shall be no less than 20mm ( this doesnt apply to hook or claw bolts)

Locks shall provide a minimum of 1000 key differs, these differs shall be obtained by 1 of the following;
    a ) at least 5 moveable detainers or levers independant of any fixed obstructions, locks with 8 levers or less shall include some device to increase the resistance to picking ( false notching is such a device as is a curtain)

b ) a pin tumbler mechanism with at least 6 pins at least 4 pins or drivers shall include some device to increase the resistance to picking ie mushroom drivers.

c ) a disc tumbler with at least 6 sliding or rotating tumblers, at least 4 of the tumblers shall include some device to increase resistance to picking ie false notching.

all vulnerable parts of locks shall be protected against attack from the outside of the door and an anti drill plate or plates shall be fixed to the locks

locks using a cylinder to contain the key mechanism shall be designed or protected to provide no purchase for a wrench attack

no locks shall be used in a master keyed suite in such a way that its security is less than the minimum provided by this specification. master key to have a higher step than the servant key to prevent easy alteration from servant to master.

Performance requirements
    a) corrosion restistant, a humidity test

b) operation of security mechanism, 60,000 operations of the key( not exceeding 70 cycles per minute). after which it should not be possible to unlock the lock with a key that is different from its own keys by one internal up or down on any 1 step.

c) security against cutting. using a 300mm long high speed steel blade in a padsawoperated by hand for 5 minutes with a new blade inserted after 2.5 minutes.the lock to withstand a force of 13.500N for 1 minute ( side pressure) after cutting test. A pull test of 12.000N shall apply to lock and claw bolts for sliding door locks.

d ) strength of bolt detention, an applied force of 1200N on the end of the bolt, hooks and claws in the locked position for 1 minute. an applied force of 9000N to the staple on locking box sustained for 1 minute.

e ) strength of cylinder mechanisms where the mechanism projects beyond the face of a 40mm door, it should resist a torque of 100N for 1 minute.

f ) strength of staples striker plate and fixing screws. an applied force of 13500N for 1 minute against the edge of the staple. for hook or claw bolt locks apply a pulling force of 12,000N for 1 minute.

g ) strength of striking plate ( hook bolts only) an applied force of 12000N to the strike plate in a direction to shear the striker plate from the lock.

NB : one newton ( N) = 0.22 lbs force approx

This is an old resume of what constitutes a lock getting a bs3621 rating, it has probably improved more since this guide, but it gives you some idea of what a lock goes through to obtain a BS3621 rating.

link guys for fuller info

http://www.locksmiths.co.uk/pdf/homeSec ... 0insurers'

Advertisement