Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees are in,it seems

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is this affecting 1st-years only? I'm in 3rd year now, and SIS is already showing the tuition fees as covered by the HEA, leaving only the usual registration & service fees. I'm not seeing any increase on last year - whew!

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

It may not be that simple after all

according to the Times, students are being shown what the fees for the course are now so that if they are introduced next year there is less likely to be legal challenges...crazy stuff

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0820/1224252952086.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ice_cream

I'm so confused now...the fees showing up for my course are huge!! How do I no if I'm eligible for the Free Fees thing? When will that show up on your account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Yeah i just paid the 1670.50 or whatever it was

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bfc

Riskymove - I think that's just a coincidence. I don't think it's related to the Irish Times article at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Flicking through this thread here, and having been through UCD, you might just consider this - there's a possibility that the 1650eur is your registration fee for the year and has to be paid (unless you have a grant I presume). If the figure you're all falling off your chairs over is around 3000,-5000eur, depending on the course you're doing, that's the fee that's covered by the Government.
    Registration fees increasing are just a stealth way for the college to make money while not "charging fees".
    Don't quote me on that, but I've a sister in 4th yr in UCD aswell, and she did say her registration fee this year would be around 1500eur.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mine has been fixed btw, just got it paid by the HEA or whatever.

I think it just takes them a while to get around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Two words, MASS PROTESS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm having the opposite problem, I'm going in as a mature student and got the Free fees before so I shouldn't be eligble for them again but it's saying I only have to pay the registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Michaelrsh wrote: »
    Two words, MASS PROTESS.

Yes..

• Advertisement

I'm having the opposite problem, I'm going in as a mature student and got the Free fees before so I shouldn't be eligble for them again but it's saying I only have to pay the registration fee.

By any chance is there a 5 year difference between when you finished college before (assuming you didn't get a qualification)? If so you may indeed be eligible for 'free fees'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dónal wrote: »
    By any chance is there a 5 year difference between when you finished college before (assuming you didn't get a qualification)? If so you may indeed be eligible for 'free fees'.

I didn't get a qualification alright but there's only a 3 or 4 year difference afaik.

edit - actually I think it was 5 years this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dublinboi

Hey guys,

I'm in NUIG, and our fees are always put up like in the photo, but we only pay the ~1500euro, and the rest is claimed back by the university from the exchequer in February.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 boobox

battsmessage.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

"You're," not "your." Try to display some level of literacy when arguing for subsidised tertiary education.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

"You're," not "your." Try to display some level of literacy when arguing for subsidised tertiary education.

I feel such love for you right now that it's indecent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 katem

Anybody know why we are paying the student centre levy? I thought it should just be the 1500 registeration fee?

Advertisement