Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Today

Options
  • 19-08-2009 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Aybody got any idea as to wy traffic is so bad today? - my GF called a minute ago and said that its blocked everywhere and it was going all the way back past Dangan earlier down the Newcastle road....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

funny-pictures-cats-umbrella-rain-flood.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

mikom wrote: »
    funny-pictures-cats-umbrella-rain-flood.jpg

Fair enough but it's particularly bad today, worse than I have seen it for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

And boards.ie is slow too.

I reckon it's all due to the Moneenigeshia changes ...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

*GALWAY CITY* Very heavy inbound on the N59/Moycullen Rd, with reports of a 2km tailback. Very slow outbound on the Headford Rd. It’s also heavy both ways on the Dublin, Monivea, Lough Atalia and College Rds. Delays too, inbound on Merchants Rd. Wet road conditions are slowing traffic and causing delays.

Sounds really bad and worse than usual. Wet conditions alone wouldn't normally slow traffic by that much..

Hopefully traffic will have eased a bit by the time I get back to Galway this evening (after 7:30pm).

Got this from AA Roadwatch:

Galway - Very heavy inbound on the N59/Moycullen Rd, with reports of a 3km tailback

Updated: 19/08/2009 15:18:18

Very slow outbound on the Headford Rd. It’s also heavy on the Dublin, Monivea, Lough Atalia and College Rds approaching the Moneenageisha jct. Delays too, inbound on Merchants Rd. Wet road conditions are slowing traffic and causing delays.

Must be Moneenageisha again - jez, they made a right balls of that!!

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Sounds really bad and worse than usual. Wet conditions alone wouldn't normally slow traffic by that much..

Hopefully traffic will have eased a bit by the time I get back to Galway this evening (after 7:30pm).

Just beat me to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's only one lane coming from the magic roundabout towards Menlo roundabout (They're working on the left lane just at the Menlo RB).
    Took ages to get from Argos to Menlo because of this at it's causing massive tailbacks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

it will sort itself out in a few weeks time when the kids go back to school in the city and all the soccor moms drive them to the school door and double park outside while they exchange gossip with each other and the rest of us gring to a halt wondering whats going wrong - get the schools out of the city, can u imagine the choas at mooneen then :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Magnus wrote: »
    There's only one lane coming from the magic roundabout towards Menlo roundabout (They're working on the left lane just at the Menlo RB).
    Took ages to get from Argos to Menlo because of this at it's causing massive tailbacks.

At almost any time of day you'd be quicker going the Dyke Road, even when there are 2 lanes open. But especially between 8am-8pm weekdays.

Colleague just took 2 hours to get from Oughterard to Galway, said its crazy out there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Whoever is in charge is obviously clueless, they never needed a new traffic system at Terryland or Monin the round-a-bouts were fine and i hear roadworks are underway around there too, why didnt they just do all roadworks at night instead of holding everybody up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

now now, in fairness - before the changed the roundabout, everyone was bitching about the tailbacks as well. Now they changed it - people are still bitching.

Granted, it still needs improvements but what do you expect - that all the traffic magically disappears? Galway needs a proper traffic solution - including a bypass, park and ride, and proper public transport that actually runs on time and is not stuck in the same traffic...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It was manic at lunchtime today and is just as bad now.
    Serious traffic jamming going on all over the place, surely moinin or the terryland roundabout cannot only be responsible?

One of those days when you feel great about having a bicycle and be able to whizz about in the drizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

you'd be surprised how congestion at one junction can have a knock-on effect on all other roads, esp. in a small town like Galway.

those traffic lights @ the Eye have actually exacerbated traffic. trust city council to worsen delays and decrease the quality of our lives! incompetent pricks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Just came from Clifden direction, Over the quincentennial to bodkin roundabout, Headford road onto Dublin road up to Brierhill in about half an hour so it's easing at least on those routes. Was thinking of heading into town soon. Anyone know if that'd be a foolish move?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

i think we could have reached saturation point today! it was and is absolutely crazy, its the worst iv ever seen it. the whole of town is blocked up.
    It took 45 minutes to get from the roundabout at arch motors/seamus quirke road to eyre square! as we where crossing the salmon weir we could see the quinncentenial was all blocked aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I went from UCHG to Knocknacarra at about 6. No problems my way, but as far as I see it was jammed solid from Terryland, across Quincentenial, down Seamus Quirke road and all the way to Dunnes at Knocknacarra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

It took me 90 mins to get from UCHG to Oranmore at 3.30 this evening, and it took an hour for me to get back at 6pm.

I was not impressed:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

i have not seen traffic this bad in galway city, !!! it was like the whole road network had ground to a halt!!! the moycullen galway road was particularly brutal..... took an hour to get into town !!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I came from Briarhill to Knocknacarra at 4, via Menlo park and the Quincentenary. Didn't notice a thing wrong. That was until I turned onto University road to pick up himself. Sat there for 5 cycles of the lights before the traffic moved at all. Took me 15 minutes to take the left turn onto distillary. Nothing going any other direction except towards the hospital. Another 15 minutes waiting to get out at Dangan to turn right. I was going against the traffic for most of it thankfully, traffic queued all the way to the circular road turn in. I've not seen it that bad ever, even in the mankiest of mank weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Today was the worst I've seen in ages.

Not made any easier by idiots like the guy in the red polo at the fire station lights at around 5:40 who, heading from Salthill to town, ran the red light and blocked the junction for people coming from Dominic Street and people coming from Claddagh. I was coming from Claddagh, and when I blew the horn at him and passed him when he was too stupid to move, he sped up to my bumper and started giving me the fingers, just outside Harvest.

For the first time ever I actually got out of the car to have words with one of these plebs; you've never seen a guy lock his car and slink into his seat so fast, unless you count his moron girlfriend in the passenger seat. I ended up telling him through his rolled up window that if he wanted to give people the fingers, that he should be sure that he was in the right, and that he was an idiot.

Looking back, I reckon I should have shouted it at him!!!

I think that it's definitely time to get one of those rolling message things for the back window!

I ended up going home through the Crescent and Taylors Hill. Henry Street was blocked back to Dominic Street, both sides of the Old Crane were blocked, but the Sea Road/Crescent junction heading to Salthill was clear. At the Nile Lodge junction, another fool didn't have the patience to let the junction clear before he pulled forward, and blocked it for people coming from St Marys Road (another VW driver, funnily enough).

Sorry about the rant.

Carry on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

Fey! wrote: »
    Today was the worst I've seen in ages.

Not made any easier by idiots like the guy in the red polo at the fire station lights at around 5:40 who, heading from Salthill to town, ran the red light and blocked the junction for people coming from Dominic Street and people coming from Claddagh. I was coming from Claddagh, and when I blew the horn at him and passed him when he was too stupid to move, he sped up to my bumper and started giving me the fingers, just outside Harvest.

For the first time ever I actually got out of the car to have words with one of these plebs; you've never seen a guy lock his car and slink into his seat so fast, unless you count his moron girlfriend in the passenger seat. I ended up telling him through his rolled up window that if he wanted to give people the fingers, that he should be sure that he was in the right, and that he was an idiot.

Looking back, I reckon I should have shouted it at him!!!

I think that it's definitely time to get one of those rolling message things for the back window!

Sorry about the rant.

Carry on!!!
    that junction is notorious for idiots who block the box........ i hate the traffic system in this city... and the drivers dont help in alot of cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Somebody needs to shoot the traffic manager:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Ever since Cameron and Geraghty insisted on the new layout of the newcastle road it has always had problems.

shoot them if anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I passed you all on my motorbike. Had to go from the Tuam Road to Moycullen and back at 5pm - took me 40 minutes to complete the journey and I must have passed eleventy million cars going nowhere.

I was soggy but well wrapped up and for the couple of you who moved in to let me pass - thanks.

Buy a motorbike - you know it makes sense....

'cptr

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I passed you all on my motorbike. Had to go from the Tuam Road to Moycullen and back at 5pm - took me 40 minutes to complete the journey and I must have passed eleventy million cars going nowhere.

I was soggy but well wrapped up and for the couple of you who moved in to let me pass - thanks.

Buy a motorbike - you know it makes sense....

'cptr
    I like the 4 wheels, roof, radio and space for the girlfriend. And the room for shopping.
    Actually I saw a fair shocker of a **** up from a driver of a merc on a roundabout on the way home today. Pulled out onto the roundabout in the outside lane right in front of a biker forcing the biker to skid to a juddery halt right on the roundabout in front of my car in the inside lane. Diabolical driving. Biker was right to stop or else he would have been mangled by a merc but he stopped right in front of me. I was watching him so was able to stop. You know yourself though, when you get the opportunity to go first gear gets revved so I just avoided the poor guy. I mean his life was endangered by this middle aged tossbag in a merc. It reminded me why I drive a car despite being incredibly jealous of ye bikers as ye roar past me in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Moneenigeshia lights are a disaster. On Sunday early evening there was a huge queue along Loch Atalia. As I got closer to the lights it was obvious that they are not synchronised to the Moneenigesha lights. So you get a green light but can't move because the roundabout lights are red.

The new lights are supposed to react to the level of traffic in each direction yet when I finally got there they were often red & the road with the green light had no traffic on it. So you sit at a red light for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

keith finnegan should be interesting tomorrow....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 geeniebops

Water mains burst in Newcastle today that caused the Traffic delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Discodog wrote: »
    The Moneenigeshia lights are a disaster. On Sunday early evening there was a huge queue along Loch Atalia. As I got closer to the lights it was obvious that they are not synchronised to the Moneenigesha lights. So you get a green light but can't move because the roundabout lights are red.

The new lights are supposed to react to the level of traffic in each direction yet when I finally got there they were often red & the road with the green light had no traffic on it. So you sit at a red light for no reason.

I was one of those plebs stuck on Loch Atalia road on Sunday evening. Honestly, I could taste the rage looking at the lights on the roundabout going red just before the lights at our junction went green. It took about five cycles of the lights to move ten meters.

Then, to top that off when you got close to the roundabout you had to watch the pedestrian green come on every cycle of the lights. I've no problem with pedestrians being given priority at a busy roundabout, but for Christ's sake why should the pedestrian green light come on when there isn't a pedestrian for miles. Incomprehensible incompetence.

'Smart lights' - me hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I came in to town on a bus from Parkmore about 6:15 tonight. Really light traffic all the way in, very fast trip, and it looked light in the other direction too. However the bus driver said that it had taken him an hour to make the trip out from town. And as I walked home down Merchants Rd, the whole road was packed with cars that appears to be going nowhere fast.

Go figure.

Advertisement