Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

This thread should be compulsory reading for the muppet councillors and former councillors who opposed the bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Somebody needs to shoot the traffic manager:mad:

Traffic manager - that's an oxymoron, right? Or just a moron... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Zzippy wrote: »
    Traffic manager - that's an oxymoron, right? Or just a moron... :pac:

I can think of stronger names for said individual......:p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Buy a motorbike - you know it makes sense....

Could add "buy a bicycle" to that shopping list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Took me about 40 mins to get from Rinville in Oranmore to Knocknacarra yesterday evening at 5:30. Traffic was fine going into town but at a standstill going out, tailbacks all the way to lower Salthill.
    snubbleste wrote: »
    surely moinin or the terryland roundabout cannot only be responsible?

It only takes a problem on one road/junction to bring Galway to a standstill. Galway City Outer Bypass now please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mahell

Went on a bit of an odyssey yesterday trying to get out to the Eye for 4.35. Left at 3.45 Just to be safe. HA!!!

(1) Got stuck on St. Mary's Road near the school. Stayed there for 3 or 4 light changes.
    (2) About turned to go through Palmyra Park across to Henry Street which was also bunged up so crossed the canal onto Presentation Road and took 10 minutes getting into traffic in Newcastle.
    (3) Trapped in said traffic for 20 minutes. The closest I got to the hospital traffic lights was Supermacs whereupon I met my friend and she told me that University Road was wedged with everyone in front of me trying to turn onto it, but that Newcastle Road beyond the lights was deserted.
    (4) Turned around again to try getting to the Quincentennial through Shantalla and Westside.
    (5) Both Shantalla and Westside insanely busy.
    (6) Finally turned for Taylor's Hill to get back to Salthill. ALSO packed. Solely with SUVs for some reason.
    (7) Got through that and decided to take one final stab at getting to the Eye through Lough Atalia Road which got me as far as Fr Griffin Road before I gave up in disgust and watched a DVD instead.

Maybe those charged with planning (pffff) traffic in Galway should spend some time actually sitting in it when they want / need to get through it rather than arbitrarily sticking pins in a map!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Could add "buy a bicycle" to that shopping list

Yeah but cycling to Moycullen to collect something for work in the middle of the day is rarely an option...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Mahell wrote: »
    Went on a bit of an odyssey yesterday trying to get out to the Eye for 4.35. Left at 3.45 Just to be safe. HA!!!

(1) Got stuck on St. Mary's Road near the school. Stayed there for 3 or 4 light changes.
    (2) About turned to go through Palmyra Park across to Henry Street which was also bunged up so crossed the canal onto Presentation Road and took 10 minutes getting into traffic in Newcastle.
    (3) Trapped in said traffic for 20 minutes. The closest I got to the hospital traffic lights was Supermacs whereupon I met my friend and she told me that University Road was wedged with everyone in front of me trying to turn onto it, but that Newcastle Road beyond the lights was deserted.
    (4) Turned around again to try getting to the Quincentennial through Shantalla and Westside.
    (5) Both Shantalla and Westside insanely busy.
    (6) Finally turned for Taylor's Hill to get back to Salthill. ALSO packed. Solely with SUVs for some reason.
    (7) Got through that and decided to take one final stab at getting to the Eye through Lough Atalia Road which got me as far as Fr Griffin Road before I gave up in disgust and watched a DVD instead.

Maybe those charged with planning (pffff) traffic in Galway should spend some time actually sitting in it when they want / need to get through it rather than arbitrarily sticking pins in a map!

You could have easily walked in that hour! It's people like you who clog up the traffic unnecessarily! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

Any word on what traffic is like today - I have to head from Dangan to Renmore for training at 6 - if its anything like yesterday, i might give it a miss.

Also, took the GF an hr and 20 mins to get to work yesterday from Dangan to HP in Ballybrit, she was not a happy camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I had to go from UCHG to the mail centre and back to Knocknacarra at about 330. No problems at all. Minor hold ups only, did the whole thing in 40 minutes.

Edit: And to be fair, the bypass would not have solved the problems yesterday, it might have helped anyone getting from Galway to Dublin/Cork/etc, but everyone was commuting to and from work. It might have helped a little, but every approach to Galway FROM the bypass would have been wedged. It would not have been a solution, even though I'd be the first to say "build the damn thing".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

" And to be fair, the bypass would not have solved the problems yesterday, it might have helped anyone getting from Galway to Dublin/Cork/etc, but everyone was commuting to and from work. It might have helped a little, but every approach to Galway FROM the bypass would have been wedged. It would not have been a solution, even though I'd be the first to say "build the damn thing".

Are you referring to the completion of the M6 or the Galway bypass/ring road? Because the bypass certainly would have helped yesterday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Did anyone just hear the raidió? I think I must have mis-heard because..
    The council are considering introducing traffic lights on two more roundabouts in the city to ease traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The council are considering introducing traffic lights on two more roundabouts in the city to ease traffic
    It's a fiendish plot to make us abandon our cars out of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The whole point of a roundabout is that you don't need lights. Half the lights in Galway could be replaced with mini roundabouts.

Have you even noticed that when traffic lights stop working the traffic moves better !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Discodog wrote: »
    Have you even noticed that when traffic lights stop working the traffic moves better !
    Yep, every time I travel near the town hall/courthouse I wish the lights would go out as that seems to be the only time that junction flows freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

should turn off all traffic lights for 2 hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. speed everything up for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Discodog wrote: »
    The whole point of a roundabout is that you don't need lights. Half the lights in Galway could be replaced with mini roundabouts.

Could you possibly back that claim up with some research about the conditions under which that is true, and the conditions under which it's not true?

(Hint: look at traffic volumes as low-medium-high. Also consider the different effects when the amounts of traffic flowing in different directions are not equal. And how safe it is for pedestrians to cross roundabouts.)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

traffc jams are god's way of telling people to stop clogging the atmosphere with exhaust fumes and use public transport more. seriously though, i can't understand how people can just sit in traffic like that day in, day out. i'd get a bike, or a bus, or anything that's an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

traffc jams are god's way of telling people to stop clogging the atmosphere with exhaust fumes and use public transport more. seriously though, i can't understand how people can just sit in traffic like that day in, day out. i'd get a bike, or a bus, or anything that's an alternative

Try cycling from Tuam to Inverin and back every day :rolleyes:. Even 'god' wouldn't fancy that one.

Public transport is for all intents and purposes non-existent for most commuters around Galway. And the lovely climate we have is hardly conducive to cycling / walking - maybe 'god' could do something here :D? (the city is too spread out anyway).

By-pass is a necessity, this would take the pressure off the existing roads and allow more bus and cycle lanes. Who knows when it will get built - another typical example of the West been left with the breadcrumbs after the rest of the country have had their fill. If yesterday's jams were the result of a burst main in Newcastle as someone mentioned then this is only the sign of things to come when the corporation's maintenance budget gets chopped even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Try cycling from Tuam to Inverin and back every day :rolleyes:. Even 'god' wouldn't fancy that one.

Public transport is for all intents and purposes non-existent for most commuters around Galway. And the lovely climate we have is hardly conducive to cycling / walking - maybe 'god' could do something here :D? (the city is too spread out anyway).

By-pass is a necessity, this would take the pressure off the existing roads and allow more bus and cycle lanes. Who knows when it will get built - another typical example of the West been left with the breadcrumbs after the rest of the country have had their fill. If yesterday's jams were the result of a burst main in Newcastle as someone mentioned then this is only the sign of things to come when the corporation's maintenance budget gets chopped even more.

for sure, people like yourself have little or no options in that respect. and my comment was a bit of a sweeping generalisation. but i know there's still a hell of a lot of people who insist on commuting when they don't really need to. and if those people bit the bullet and grabbed a bus for a change, the congestion people like yourself have to face wouldn't be nearly as bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The buses need to be somewhat reliable and regular for that to happen though.

The entire of Knocknacarra is served by the Red Buses and I've never heard one good thing about them. Two of them pass right by my door, yet I would no sooner use them to go to work than fly in the moon. Utterly unreliable, infrequent, incorrect routes and break down more often than work.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭kinetic

skelliser wrote: »
    keith finnegan should be interesting tomorrow....

You taking the p..ss?

should turn off all traffic lights for 2 hours in the morning and two hours in the evening. speed everything up for everyone

That might be a bit extreme ;-) But what I would like to see is that they turn off traffice lights at night when there's very low volumes of traffic. Think of all the energy, emissions, and thus money that could be saved. (really, there is no need for lights at tiny junctions such as the Crescent/Father Griffin, or even the roundabout of doom from midnight to say 5 am)

It works in every German town, why can't it work here. Also, I'd like to see 'green arrows' - that allow you to turn (left in our case) while the traffic lights are red, if it's safe to do so. Would ease a lot of unnecessary queuing.

And they should bloody stop this 'stop traffic at all crossroads for pedestrians' lark. It's unreal that a WHOLE junction comes to a stop so that all pedestrians (who probably crossed the road while 'red' anyway cause they can't be arsed waiting but still press the little traffic light button) can cross at the same time. That's the dumbest waste of time I've ever experienced (to see what I mean, check the Hospital/Newcastle road junction).

I guess we would need to retrain the entire driving population to be a bit more observant and less selfish, but it would improve things a lot.

/rant over

MayoForSam wrote: »

Get a job in Tuam. Or a house in Inverin. Or vice versa. Or tele-commute.

People have woken up to the idea of buying-locally for food and services, for both supporting local businesses and reducing the carbon footprint.

Seems me to me that the next step involves getting employers to do the same, ie don't hire someone who has to drive for an hour to get to work when someone five minutes away can do the job!

</rant>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

galah wrote: »

And they should bloody stop this 'stop traffic at all crossroads for pedestrians' lark. It's unreal that a WHOLE junction comes to a stop so that all pedestrians (who probably crossed the road while 'red' anyway cause they can't be arsed waiting but still press the little traffic light button) can cross at the same time. That's the dumbest waste of time I've ever experienced (to see what I mean, check the Hospital/Newcastle road junction). ..

You should check out the Dole queue thread
    Also that junction is only safe to cross at when all lights to traffic are red, look at it from a pedestrian point of view next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

JustMary wrote: »

People have woken up to the idea of buying-locally for food and services, for both supporting local businesses and reducing the carbon footprint.

Seems me to me that the next step involves getting employers to do the same, ie don't hire someone who has to drive for an hour to get to work when someone five minutes away can do the job!

</rant>

Holy Snot Monsters! Are you serious? I give to much of myself to my job as it is without letting them dictate where I live (I already live close to work and can get a bus but still I'll live where I want)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

</rant>

lol, are you for real!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

</rant>

I assume you meant your comments as a joke? Your argument would result in there being no business outside of large conurbations as employers would need to locate their business near to a workforce from whom they can choose suitable candidates. In other words the cities would get bigger and towns and villages die off as the people all have too move to the city to get work! And that is just one of a whole host of reasons why your rant is ill thought out

You should check out the Dole queue thread
    Also that junction is only safe to cross at when all lights to traffic are red, look at it from a pedestrian point of view next time.

I do. And I still don't get it. Why can't they have a pedestrian green light when the cars in the same direction also get green. That way, at least one "road" is moving. And that's what I meant with the 'retrain drivers' bit - if we could retrain every driver to watch out for pedestrians when turning, this problem would be solved also. It works in other countries...

• Advertisement

Webbs wrote: »
    I assume you meant your comments as a joke? Your argument would result in there being no business outside of large conurbations as employers would need to locate their business near to a workforce from whom they can choose suitable candidates. In other words the cities would get bigger and towns and villages die off as the people all have too move to the city to get work! And that is just one of a whole host of reasons why your rant is ill thought out

Nope, I'm not joking at all.

Some employers (farmers and rural-services spring to mind), need to be outside large conurbations. For others, the availabilty of a suitable workforce is ALREADY a factor in where they locate their businesses! (Why is Lumension coming to Galway? Oh, that's right, the factors include the availability of skilled workers).

Semi-rural sprawl is a big issue in this country: amazing amounts of land have been used (many say spoiled) in providing one-off housing for people who want to live with a rural aspect - but their very presence there means that the area is no longer rural/natural/wilderness. That's why there are planning controls on it now. IMHO they need to go quite a bit further, and specify that housing should only be built in areas which have (or at least are planned to have) services that the residents will need: schools, medical centres, playing fields and JOBS!

And for whoever said:
    I give to much of myself to my job as it is without letting them dictate where I live (I already live close to work and can get a bus but still I'll live where I want)

I agree, it's crazy to let work dictate where you live, life is for living not working. But think about it s letting where you live dictate where you work. For example, I live in Galway, and am therefore giving up (for now anyway) the opportunity to work in my professional field. That's simply the price I pay.

Advertisement