Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finishing thesis

Options
  • 19-08-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Does anyone know where you'd find help in formatting one's thesis, i.e. professionally putting together the table of contents, alligning everything together? structuring references etc.

Willing to pay if there isn't help out there.

Thanks,

Big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The standard answer is to get a look at theses from previous years in the college library. That will give you a definitive guide to what is expected.

Other than that, were you not given a style guide by your supervisor?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Big inner

In regards the previous thesises, its hard to gage if your following a 1st class honours or a 2.2 as they are not graded understandably.

As regards a style guide, the college has one but at this late stage i dont really have the time to go back through everything.

Really what i'm asking is there help for computer illiterate people like me who isn't able to successfully use the computer to do things like a table of contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carlow_kid

You have a pm from me. It is important.... a friend of mine on the course last year had his thesis initially rejected because the table of contents was mis-aligned. In fairness I saw it and it was pretty bad. Lines were all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

May I suggest a sticky in this forum relating to thesis issues, formatting, layout, citation etc.

The first comment I'd put in this is to look at these things when starting a thesis, not at the 11th hour. Anyone capable of understanding a thesis is more than capable of using the table of contents feature in Word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Leopardi

I'm having problems with page numbering. Instead of numbers being placed at the bottom right-hand corner of my pages; when I click the number insert option, they appear where my cursor is. My cursor only reaches to the end of my text, rather than the limits of the page.

This may be a ridiculously easy issue to solve. I'm using the word processor on Vista. Can anyone help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I'm using the word processor on Vista.

What word processor. Word 2007?

ardmacha wrote: »
    What word processor. Word 2007?

'Microsoft Works Word Processor.' It seems to be the default version, but if I'm wrong, forgive my vast ignorance of modern technology!

I've managed to insert page numbers, but why are they showing up so faintly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carlow_kid

because they are in the footer and you are not viewing the footer. They will print normally.

carlow_kid wrote: »
    because they are in the footer and you are not viewing the footer. They will print normally.

That's reassuring! Thanks.

Advertisement