Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Irish Community

Options
  • 19-08-2009 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering is there much of an irish community in London these days..Anyone know of any good irish bars? any irish neighbourhoods? Holloway Road had a big irish community in the 1980's but I'm not sure what it's like now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭buccsboyo

Hey mike
    There still is a big Irish community over there, main difference these days is they are not as concentrated and are spread all over the city. I spent a summer and then a year over there mainly based around the NW , this probably has the highest density. All the people who moved over in the 70s/80s are set up with family and have English kids so there is still a community there for them based around the GAA and the pubs. If you play football or hurling it would be a big help to get work,make friend s and find a room( even if you don't they'll still welcome you to get involved in some way) . I got looked after so well by them just search london gaa and youll get loads of info, most of the clubs are based around the NW all the games are played in Ruislip or Greenford. There are loads of Irish pubs the claddagh ring group have a chain of pubs, but there are loads everywhere you can't drive for 5 mins around NW Ldn without coming across one.There is a Nightclub in Neasden called Dicey Riley's where they actually play the Irish National Anthem at the end of the night:pac: There are also loads of other good pubs in SW Ldn for all the Ozzies, NZ's and SA's that are good craic.
    But as I said what ever part of the city you go to, you'll come across plenty of Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

mike kelly wrote: »
    I'm wondering is there much of an irish community in London these days..Anyone know of any good irish bars? any irish neighbourhoods? Holloway Road had a big irish community in the 1980's but I'm not sure what it's like now
    there is a good irish weekly newspaper in the UK called the irish post,look it up on the web,its full of the irish community in london and also in the rest of the UK,i often look it up

Advertisement