Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your IADT students!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I met a few of you animation 1st years today goodluck with your first week /is lost and potentially in naked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 idiotboy

Name: Danny
    Year/Course: 1st year Audiovisual Media Technology
    Clubs/Societes/Interests: Jammin:)
    How to notice: Blonde, no particular fashion style, bricking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭ArklowHoop

Name: Alex
    Year/Course: 2nd Year Multimedia
    Clubs/Societes/Interests:Football and Sport in General
    How to notice:Usually wearing a hoodie,football shirt and jeans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Name: Adele Kavanagh
    Year/course: 1st year Business and Arts Management. (Did a year of EMCS last year though.)
    Clubs/Societes/Interests: Joined sitcoms and horror society. Fairly interested in music in general though.
    How to notice: Used to be for my red tartanish coat but I lost that at freshers ball but now..short, brown hair, constantly running to classes late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr.Superiority

Name: Lisa
    Year/Course: 1st Year English, Media and Cultural Studies!
    Societies/Clubs/interests: music, films, xbox
    How to notice: uhm.. ill be the tall brunette wandering around looking lost.. although i imagine there might be quite a few of us lol:D

Hey Lisa, would you reccommend that course? It's the only one i can find that interests me... almost seems too good to be true. is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rcazzy

Name: Ryan
    Year/Course: 3rd year studying English, Media and Cultural Studies!
    Societies/Clubs/interests: Rarely have time for attending socs anymore, but I recommend Film Soc and Game Soc. EMCS Theory Club (Highly recommended for EMCS students, very handy to get into with experience from higher years)
    How to notice: Leatherish jackets, coats, Glasses, medium length messy hair and a laptop bag almost constantly around me! Probably very tired or very smiley...both extremes! :)

Good to see a lot of activity and interaction between courses on here!

Hey Lisa, would you reccommend that course? It's the only one i can find that interests me... almost seems too good to be true. is it?

Hey man,

I've gone through three years of the course already. It is a very enjoyable course. A lot of stuff covered from literature, to film, to news media and cultural and social theory. You will find things you adore and things you are not so fond of. :p There is a good amount of continuous assessment, but a lot of it is fun to do, especially group tasks in years 1 and 2. Be prepared to read a lot of books, journals and things of that nature (but SparkNotes does suffice in some cases ;) )

Any particular questions you want to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mr.Superiority

rcazzy wrote: »
    Hey man,

I've gone through three years of the course already. It is a very enjoyable course. A lot of stuff covered from literature, to film, to news media and cultural and social theory. You will find things you adore and things you are not so fond of. :p There is a good amount of continuous assessment, but a lot of it is fun to do, especially group tasks in years 1 and 2. Be prepared to read a lot of books, journals and things of that nature (but SparkNotes does suffice in some cases ;) )

Any particular questions you want to ask?

Ah yeah thanks man! What sort of literature would you be reading? Shakespearean or more or less modern? Are the political and creative topics more in depth than others? And how long are the days? Legend has it it's a four day week. This is the only course that really interests me.

Thanks.

Ah yeah thanks man! What sort of literature would you be reading? Shakespearean or more or less modern? Are the political and creative topics more in depth than others? And how long are the days? Legend has it it's a four day week. This is the only course that really interests me.

Thanks.

We go through different periods for texts, Renaissance up to 20thC (and I assume 21st, next year). A good mix of books, I've found some of my favourite al time works through having to read them, well worth it. I wouldn't say more in depth than other topics exactly, but the political topics can get heavy in the amount of theories and views applied, but you will get a grasp on it.
    The course is being slightly restructured again this year (we were the second year to test a new regime, which has worked out well) so you shouldn't be lost when it comes to topics and getting stuck in, all depending on how you yourself participate of course.

The days can vary. They can be from 9-3 (most for me atm) or even maybe 9-12. It doesn't seem too bad (although I do have a day where I have a 3 hour gap...slight pain, but grand with friends.) The legend is partially true! I had Mondays off in my second semester of first year I think it was, and we'll be getting a day free next year definitely, which we've been advised by fourth years to use for dissertation work. If the things listed on the college site do interest then you may hit it off well with the course. I was slightly worried myself when I started in how I'd find interest in certain topics, but it has come around that I realise that a lot of the things I study are based around questions I used to ask myself about society, media and all that jazz.

Another side note, an EMCS Theory Club has been set up by students from all years to discuss topics and learn from each other, so that'll be a huge huge help in getting to know theory and developing your own ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Keelman91

Hey all!, anyone still posting here? lol ,damn its too early to be awake ha,.but ya anyways,just checked out my cao offers and got my first choice of vis comm in iadt!,.also got offered to art and design in galway...hmm decision time! anyone else going for vis com? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

hey ! i just got into vis comm ! delighted ! see ya there

• Registered Users Posts: 16 doodle_bear

heads up for anyone going to IADT to do vis comm,

be prepared for a lot or work. I'm going into 3rd year. The course is awesome but it can be VERY tough at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Extempore

To anyone currently doing Audio Visual Media Tech... how is the course/the lecturers/the workload? Just got accepted and want to know what's in store!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oli2

rcazzy wrote: »
    We go through different periods for texts, Renaissance up to 20thC (and I assume 21st, next year). A good mix of books, I've found some of my favourite al time works through having to read them, well worth it. I wouldn't say more in depth than other topics exactly, but the political topics can get heavy in the amount of theories and views applied, but you will get a grasp on it.
    The course is being slightly restructured again this year (we were the second year to test a new regime, which has worked out well) so you shouldn't be lost when it comes to topics and getting stuck in, all depending on how you yourself participate of course.

The days can vary. They can be from 9-3 (most for me atm) or even maybe 9-12. It doesn't seem too bad (although I do have a day where I have a 3 hour gap...slight pain, but grand with friends.) The legend is partially true! I had Mondays off in my second semester of first year I think it was, and we'll be getting a day free next year definitely, which we've been advised by fourth years to use for dissertation work. If the things listed on the college site do interest then you may hit it off well with the course. I was slightly worried myself when I started in how I'd find interest in certain topics, but it has come around that I realise that a lot of the things I study are based around questions I used to ask myself about society, media and all that jazz.

Another side note, an EMCS Theory Club has been set up by students from all years to discuss topics and learn from each other, so that'll be a huge huge help in getting to know theory and developing your own ideas.

hey, is there much essay writing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rene Roo

heads up for anyone going to IADT to do vis comm,

be prepared for a lot or work. I'm going into 3rd year. The course is awesome but it can be VERY tough at times.

Hmm...was hoping that it would be more laid back in 3rd year :p
    I don't mind the hard work though...I'll be starting IADT vis comm straight into third year!!
    I'm quite petrified tbh, are the class hours long? Tell me everything! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EduOfficer

Hey guys!

If you've just been accepted to IADT, well done! You won't regret it! You should check our our Student Union Website, our SU Facebook and our IADT Accommodation Page

Looking forward to seeing you all in September!
    Your Education Officer,

Lisa :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 itssnowing18

isteve wrote: »
    anyone know when English, Media Cultural Studies begins and when i need to register?

well in da email they sent me we have an induction on tuesday the 13th and registration and another induction on friday the 16th... :) hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RouRouRou

Name: Stephen Kiernan [Stee, please.]
    Year/Course: 1st year in English Media and Cultural Studies [<<ANYONE IN THIS COURSE PM ME :D]
    Societies/Clubs/interests: Uhm, drama, soccer, jugger [whatever that is, it looks AMAZING.] and a few other things.
    How to notice: short stocky dude with blondish hair and blue eyes. rather loud and outgoing. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 itssnowing18

Name: Fiona (fee or fifi)
    Year/Course: 1st year in English, Media and Cultural Studies
    Societies/Clubs/interests: i duno, sumtin to do with radio and perhaps drama... we shall see :)
    How to notice: newly brown hair and looking very lost outside the wrong building probably :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CheekyCherry

Just wondering is anyone else on here starting Animation this year? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 devitt

Name: Dev/Devitt or Niamh :)
    Year/Course: 1st year/Design For Stage and Screen
    Societies/Clubs/interests: Made a pact to join Yoga, but a few others sure Pirates sounds very interesting!
    How to notice: either in a small group of people from EMCS and Film/TV or else wandering around alone looking overwhelmed!

whats this about something being on the 7th? I thought next week was the week we start! and has anyone got their reg pack yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CheekyCherry

devitt wrote: »
    whats this about something being on the 7th? I thought next week was the week we start! and has anyone got their reg pack yet?

I was wondering the same thing, but I'm just after ringing the college and they posted all the first year reg packs yesterday afternoon. so hopefully will receive them tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EffyRose

Name: Elizabeth / Effy
    Year/Course: 1st year/Photography
    Societies/Clubs/interests: I'm not sure what ones there are. But I'll definitely be looking into joining at least 1-2.
    How to notice: I'll be the extremely confused, socially awkward girl that's mumbling to herself constantly :P

I was wondering the same thing, but I'm just after ringing the college and they posted all the first year reg packs yesterday afternoon. so hopefully will receive them tomorrow!

I'm so glad I saw this! Because I've been panicking about not getting mine yet! XD

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DublinRescuer

What martial art is practiced in IADT??

Advertisement