Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish workers among highest paid - study

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Well it hardly going to drop overnight is it? Highest paid because one of the most expensive countries to put it simply. Now its starting to correct itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0819/economy.html

I always think of stats like this when I hear about problems with the economy.

I just think of girls bottoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

that's the problem with the economy.

high labor cost -> high prices of products -> johnny needs six jobs to pay the loans/mortgage for all the stuff he's bought (house, bmw, tracksuits/jodhpurs, knives), can't keep up the workload, then he can't pay back the mortgage, defaults on loans, banks lose a fortune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Now, this could be a really informative thread. Thank you, parker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Well it hardly going to drop overnight is it? Highest paid because one of the most expensive countries to put it simply. Now its starting to correct itself

It is a bit chicken and egg though I think. Once it got going then the two things fed into each other. If retailers, restaurants etc have to pay staff more then prices of good they sell will have to go up. Same for any business. It would be nice to think that some happy middle ground could be found. But I guess people will always want more money if they think they can get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It is a bit chicken and egg though I think. The two things fed into each other. If retailers, restaurants etc have to pay staff more then prices of good they sell will have to go up. Same for any business. It would be nice to think that some happy middle ground could be found. But I guess people will always want more money if they think they can get it.

Chicken and egg my bollix. The cock came first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Most expensive because highest paid. Businesses raise their prices to what people are willing to pay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not really Irish per se: Dublin, along with Zurich, Sydney, Luxemburg and Miami, are cities with the highest purchasing power.

Maaaasssive difference in wages between Dublin and other cities/towns. I would make almost twice my salary over there.
    I'm sure there are similar differences between the capitols of the other countries too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Insurgent wrote: »
    Chicken and egg my bollix. The cock came first.

higher wages - increased money supply - inflation - more expensive goods/services

simple economics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

This story was all over yesterday's papers.

Apparently, it takes the average Irish worker fifteen minutes to earn a Big Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0819/economy.html

I always think of stats like this when I hear about problems with the economy.

Yea because stats are the answer to everything:rolleyes: Nothing to do with the banks handing out money left right and centre and people paying stupid money for piece a crap houses and taken out finance everywhere they could get it. Course the countrys fu&ked!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This story was all over yesterday's papers.

Apparently, it takes the average Irish worker fifteen minutes to earn a Big Mac.

This is especially true for mc donalds workers who get paid in big macs.

Yea because stats are the answer to everything:rolleyes: Nothing to do with the banks handing out money left right and centre and people paying stupid money for piece a crap houses and taken out finance everywhere they could get it. Course the countrys fu&ked!

I didn't actually say stats answered everything and what you mention is symptomatic of the problems I mentioned. Everybody played a part in the problem. The banks are the current bogeyman in the country, we always have one. If I remember correctly, it was stamp duty that was the big problem in 2007, if it was "sorted" everything was going to be hunky dory. Basically there is always some group or thing that is blamed when in reality people in general are to blame. Too many short-sighted self serving decisions made by too many people. Whether these be banks, companies, politicians or ordinary joes.

Wages went up, so cost of living went up. You can only blow a bubble up so much before it bursts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

I didn't actually say stats answered everything and what you mention is symptomatic of the problems I mentioned. Everybody played a part in the problem. The banks are the current bogeyman in the country, we always have one. If I remember correctly, it was stamp duty that was the big problem in 2007, if it was "sorted" everything was going to be hunky dory. Basically there is always some group or thing that is blamed when in reality people in general are to blame. Too many short-sighted self serving decisions made by too many people. Whether these be banks, companies, politicians or ordinary joes.

Wages went up, so cost of living went up. You can only blow a bubble up so much before it bursts.

whats the point of yer thread so??

whats the point of yer thread so??

Well that bubble included wages...some people acted as if we were drinking soup from a beggars shoe when in fact we were actually doing OK. And some still are doing OK

Advertisement