Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunbeds - First Time User

• 19-08-2009 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Right well I'm going to Sardinia for a wedding in a month and I don't want to be using fake tan as I sweat in heat a lot so it'll be streaky plus smelly. My mate used a sunbed once a week for 6 weeks before she went to Ibiza and she got a lovely colour to base it on.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good place (preferably city centre/northside Dublin) to go, what will I need to bring/use etc... also how often? I just want a light colour to look nice for the wedding, not too dark and this will be the only time I'm using them so I don't really want this thread to turn into a lecture etc..:rolleyes:

Appreicate the advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If you have decided to go for the sun bed, then go for the standup. It is easier to use and more hygenic. You are not lying on anything, simply standing up wearing as much or as little as your want.

You would start for 3 mins and go every 4 days. You need to let the skin rest to bring up the tan. I would then suggest if no ill effect that you increase to 4 mins for two sessions, then to 5 mins until you head off.

Leave three/four days between sessions and take the last session the day before you head off.

Use a lotion and the salon will recommend one. They are more expensive than the usual holiday outdoor lotions, but worth it. Without the lotion, your body reflects a good shot of the rays. With the lotion, the skin absorbs.

remember not to overdo the sessions or the time limits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I know you asked for no lecture, but what do you expect? It really annoys me when I hear people asking about sunbeds. They should be banned. Have you not read the report about sunbeds that was all over the news a few weeks ago about the insane % increase in getting skin cancer by using sunbeds? My god girl what are you thinking? You're destroying your skin by doing this all for some wedding photo.

Everybody sweats in the heat, just go buy a good fake tan that won't streak. Would you not rather the risk of streaking than permanently damaging your skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

Personally I dont like them and not just for health reasons. I get a really good dark natural tan when I'm in the sun but the stand up sunbeds just didnt do anything for me, got a very faint colour on my chest and arms but that was it, found them a complete waste of time.
    I know you said you dont like fake tans but a spray tan applied by a good beautician can last up to a week, streak free. I go with that option all the time and MUCH prefer it to sunbeds!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

Do 30 mins in 4/6 mins sessions leading up to ur holiday.

I go to The Tanning Shop solarium on Fade Street/D'Olier Street...it's clean, nice staff and not too expensive and its half price before 12!

The best Tanning Accelerator cream I've found is Coco Beach and it's €4 for a sachet from The Tanning Shop and I'm not sure how much the bottle is..I'd say about 20 probably better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Have you not watched the news? Fake it, its so much safer. We have one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. Plus it ages your skin

Try ambre solaires tan... Im useless at tan and its gone on like a dream. I keep looking at my arms and legs haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 markkeane

If you want to increase your chances of getting melanoma then go ahead and sign up for your sessions with the sunbed. You might impress your family and friends at your wedding.
    And you know they will have lovely photos of you to look at when you're suffering from or have died as a result of melanoma. That's skin cancer.
    All those salons offering sunbeds should be closed down and deemd to be illegal.
    You may as well be exposing your body to the sun's own rays.
    So, please refrain from the sunbeds. Don't be influenced by other people and their tans. Who really cares about a tan.
    Your health is your wealth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

markkeane wrote: »
    If you want to increase your chances of getting melanoma then go ahead and sign up for your sessions with the sunbed. You might impress your family and friends at your wedding.
    And you know they will have lovely photos of you to look at when you're suffering from or have died as a result of melanoma. That's skin cancer.
    All those salons offering sunbeds should be closed down and deemd to be illegal.
    You may as well be exposing your body to the sun's own rays.
    So, please refrain from the sunbeds. Don't be influenced by other people and their tans. Who really cares about a tan.
    Your health is your wealth.

If I found out that a friend of mine or family member had been using sunbeds simply to look good in a photograph, I'd think "what an idiot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

deebee08 wrote: »
    I know you said you dont like fake tans but a spray tan applied by a good beautician can last up to a week, streak free. I go with that option all the time and MUCH prefer it to sunbeds!!! :)

Where do you recommend? I'm flying out on a Wednesday evening and the wedding will be on a Saturday so what would be the best times to get it done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I don't know why some women put so much focus on looking a certain way at a wedding. Everyone is looking at the bride anyway. Sunbeds are not worth the risk, unless you want to have skin like a leather handbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Don't do it! Simple as that! Just get a Sun FX or St.Tropez spray tan before you go; no effort, perfectly even and won't give you malignant melanoma! Full body spray tans are half price at the moment in loads of salons if you need any more encouragement!

• Advertisement
Advertisement