Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mountrath

Options
  • 19-08-2009 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

we have just bought a house in mountrath and was wondering if anyone has any insight into wat the town is like ? wat are the primary schools like and which ones are the best ? is there any good after school clubs around or linked to the schools ? anyone that has any info would help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

you're probably lookin for this forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=937

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Commuting & Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

ginagym wrote: »
    we have just bought a house in mountrath and was wondering if anyone has any insight into wat the town is like ? wat are the primary schools like and which ones are the best ? is there any good after school clubs around or linked to the schools ? anyone that has any info would help :)
    their is an all boy school and an all girl primary school in mountrath .... and unless your kids are into gaa , then no ,notting to do in mountrath only cross the road from time to time......

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ginagym

thanks for reply jonbravo , hhhhmmm sounds like ur not a fan of mountrath :) and theres not alot fo the kids to do , gonna have ta check into this . thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

jonbravo wrote: »
    .... and unless your kids are into gaa , then no ,notting to do in mountrath only cross the road from time to time......

How I laughed.

Mountrath is like any other town in rural Ireland...we make our own fun :cool:

• Advertisement

thanks for reply jonbravo , hhhhmmm sounds like ur not a fan of mountrath :) and theres not alot fo the kids to do , gonna have ta check into this . thanks
    oh i couldnt really share what i think of mountrath to be honest:D , best thing about it is the coffee dock oh man the dinners.......... :P.

To be honest im just dying to get out of Dublin , im sure ill find clubs and schools for the kids quite quick.. we are looking forward to our move :)

hhhmmmm where is this coffee dock ?

hhhmmmm where is this coffee dock ?
    across from the bank of ireland..no.............cant think of anything else the town is good for :D only the road out.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Peter Walczak

notting to do in mountrath only cross the road from time to time......

It made my day. ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

At least a few pubs in Mountrath have pool tables!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 captainautumn

ADTR wrote: »
    At least a few pubs in Mountrath have pool tables!

You know that you are struggling to come up with favourable attributes for a town when the best you can come up with is that some of the pubs have pool tables!!
    Interesting fact about Mountrath; In the early 80s there were 17 pubs operating, now there are only 7. Sums up the place really, dying on it's arse despite the new houses.

I remember there used to be an after school club many years ago.... every night after school the local lads would climb up the fire escape to peep in the window at us girlies in our pj's....but sadly it is no more. No idea what the young lads of the town do to amuse themselves these days although I believe darts is still popular.....

Durga wrote: »
    I remember there used to be an after school club many years ago.... every night after school the local lads would climb up the fire escape to peep in the window at us girlies in our pj's....but sadly it is no more. No idea what the young lads of the town do to amuse themselves these days although I believe darts is still popular.....
    yeah that was me.......... ive the internet now lol:D..
    beware the local sheeple:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Mountrath is a nice little town, I moved from Dublin with the misses nearly two years ago, it takes some time to get used to the change.

The main street is full of traffic but there is a new motorway bypass been built from Portlaoise so this should ease the traffic in the town near the end of year 2010

Ginagym if you need any info etc..please ask me :D as usual the replies below don't seem very helpful, most people on this site are from Port or Portlaoise :p

Mountrath wrote: »
    Mountrath is a nice little town, I moved from Dublin with the misses nearly two years ago, it takes some time to get used to the change.

The main street is full of traffic but there is a new motorway bypass been built from Portlaoise so this should ease the traffic in the town near the end of year 2010

Ginagym if you need any info etc..please ask me :D as usual the replies below don't seem very helpful, most people on this site are from Port or Portlaoise :p
    im from the town :cool: ... the bypass wont ease traffic that much in the town because of the toll on the motorway, i might add, they said this about portlaoise not to long ago.. i'll leave this thread because i dont have kids and as mountrath pointed out, he/she might have more info with regard schools even tho i went to school their as a kid.. etc..... see ya all around :-]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

im from the town :cool: ... the bypass wont ease traffic that much in the town because of the toll on the motorway, i might add, they said this about portlaoise not to long ago.. i'll leave this thread because i dont have kids and as mountrath pointed out, he/she might have more info with regard schools even tho i went to school their as a kid.. etc..... see ya all around :-]
    Jonbravo, I don't have must info on the schools but my misses will have our first child early next year yipee!! Owen Reddy closed it doors in Mountrath on Friday gone out of business, its not good news but what is..:o

Jonbravo, I don't have must info on the schools but my misses will have our first child early next year yipee!! Owen Reddy closed it doors in Mountrath on Friday gone out of business, its not good news but what is..:o
    congrads pal:)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Congratulations on the news of your new arrival. It will change your life forever!

But, the fact that Owen Reddy has closed is not that devastating a blow for the local economy. There were only 8 staff working there and I am almost sure that there was no local employee amongst them! There was also very little local business being conducted out of it because of their outrageous prices for second hand cars and there was not much call for the top of the range stuff that they stocked.
    Town has indeed been bypassed but its not the road that I am talking about. The majority of property that has been sold around the town has been bought by people who have very little interest in developing the town but only developing their own portfolio of property. The Celtic Tiger has come and gone but I am afraid that Mountrath has missed the boat......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 clairemm

its a really dreary depressing town with very little radio reception when u drive down main street.. full of pikeys and the ridiculously loud useless cars that they tend to drive.. good schools though i went to the girl's secondary school and the standards are fairly high.. primary schools are good too but if ur lookin for some stuff to do ur better off heading into portlaoise, bout a 20 minute drive. ooo the river in castletown too, really nice in the summer we've got a huge waterfall thingy. come on, give us a bit of tourism!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

clairemm wrote: »
    ur better off heading into portlaoise, bout a 20 minute drive.

You should try a higher gear on whatever your driving :D

You should try a higher gear on whatever your driving :D

Oh dear :D

Although if you were on a tractor and going via Raheen she might have a point.....

This thread is absolutely no help to the OP. I do have strong ties with Mountrath from when I was a very young child, though, and my opinion on it hasn't changed much. It always seemed like a place where the sun never shines. Sorry.

If I were to choose somewhere outside Portlaoise I would probably opt for Stradbally, possibly Abbeyleix, or a rural location close to Portlaoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shaz22

people are always moaning about mountrath but i have to say i like living in mountrath, so what if there's very little to do, make your own fun! I like the people in Mountrath and the fact that everyone always says hello, of course that could be due to the fact that i'm related to half the town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 captainautumn

shaz22 wrote: »
    people are always moaning about mountrath but i have to say i like living in mountrath, so what if there's very little to do, make your own fun! I like the people in Mountrath and the fact that everyone always says hello, of course that could be due to the fact that i'm related to half the town!
    I have to agree it is a friendly place. I grew up there and enjoy going back.
    Okay so it's lacking somewhat in resources but the lack of pretension is heartwarming. Try getting a stranger to say hello to you in a place like Portarlington. I'm still waiting after fourteen years. There's nothing worse than a big town mentality when the town in question is no great shakes. A bit of funding for a swimming pool, a decent restaurant or two, a good pub that attracts young people and more sporting clubs and the town could make a comeback of sorts.

Back in the seventies the craic was mighty in the pubs with summer festivals and a real market town feel to the place. I only hope the by-pass kicks things off because the traffic is choking the bit of life that's left out of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shaz22

yeah i mean of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but i'm very happy living here, it easy for people who pass by it here and there to complain about how dreary it seems. I think you will like out quaint little town! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Hi I moved down this year also interested in gettin some info on schools, My dd will be starting sept 2010 and i was thinking bout the irish school in Trumera, anyone familiar with it?? also would there be any places left?

I'm not a massive fan of the town but thats just cos its not "my" town if ys get me,, Dp is from there and knows everyone etc so he loves it, But I will say everyone is very friendly,

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Hateart

Mountrath is a life sucking town full of local wasters who spend their time between toms bar the bookies and walking up and down the town in a sort of trance. The health clinic is like a social meeting place, the town is horrible as are the people who live there, it has no future or past, get your kids out before they too turn into the same sort seen on the street pushing their babies up and down the dirty sidewalks. Just my view feel free to comment and prove me wrong if you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

In your first post, ya resurrected a 4 year old thread to moan?
    Did the town make ya that miserable?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Hateart wrote: »
    Mountrath is a life sucking town full of local wasters who spend their time between toms bar the bookies and walking up and down the town in a sort of trance. The health clinic is like a social meeting place, the town is horrible as are the people who live there, it has no future or past, get your kids out before they too turn into the same sort seen on the street pushing their babies up and down the dirty sidewalks. Just my view feel free to comment and prove me wrong if you like!

God - this is why I rarely use visit this forum anymore!! Mountrath is no different to any other town, and if you have a problem with wasters then look in the mirror, for anyone that sits on a bloody sideline sniping and running down a place without doing anything about it, in my opinion, would be better off shutting the **** up.

Two days ago the town hosted it's fifth annual Whitehorse Festival. Plenty of people moaned about it although it seemed everyone at it enjoyed it. All those that moan about there being nothing to do could well get involved in the town there.

The local GAA club is far from the only activity for young people, and to suggest it is shows a staggering lack of knowledge on town to the point that I wonder why some of the posters in this thread even bothered commenting at all!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement