Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail - First Class

• 19-08-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Just wondering can anyone tell me what's first class like on Irish Rail?

I've booked a first class weekend return from Dublin to Galway for half price during a promotion, but most people have told me it's just the same as standard class !!

I just thought I'd treat myself, as I was going to drive.

Can anyone shed any light on it :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Instead of tea in a plastic cup, you get......wait for it.......

A real one!

I think there is also internet, nicer seats, radio etc. Pretty much like a plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It's not worth the money if you ask me. But since you usually drive, the train will be a treat either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Maybe things have changed (it's a year or two since I took the Galway Dublin train) but at weekends while you could pay for First Class, you didn't get it. You get to sit in the first class carriage, but there's no bar service or food service other than the usual trolley. It also depends on the Irish Rail worker on duty, but most at the weekend used to let anyone sit in First Class whether they pay or not.

A complete waste of money.

...but having said that, I hope they've got the finger out and that I'm now wrong. Would be interested to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

With the replies so far, I'm lucky I got the ticket for half price.

I'll report back after the weekend of the 30th (August) and let all of you know how the service was (that's if there is any?). :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Cleopatra12

I travelled from Cork to Dublin first class a few months ago. It was lovely. The carrige was really quiet (prob cos people dont like to pay so much for ticket). there was a hostess in the carriage(for want of a better word) making sure that only people who had the tickets were seated there. Seats quite comfortable, internet...but it was the peace and quiet that was the best think about it.

• Advertisement

It was the peace and quiet aspect that I liked as well, but twice over a couple of months, stag parties were "put" into the First Class carriage by the staff, on the way from Dublin to Galway. It seems that they were put there so that they'd be together and not bothering others - to hell with those of us that paid extra!

After the second time, I haven't used a train in Ireland since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

churchview wrote: »
    It was the peace and quiet aspect that I liked as well, but twice over a couple of months, stag parties were "put" into the First Class carriage by the staff, on the way from Dublin to Galway. It seems that they were put there so that they'd be together and not bothering others - to hell with those of us that paid extra!

That's incredible.

It was a mixture of incredible and hilarious (in a vaguely sick way).

The last time, two of the "guys" with the stag announced to all in the carriage that they were going to "pull a few birds". They left the carraige, going forward (the First Class carriage is (or at least, was) at the front going to Galway) to the cargo storage area. Next think, they arrive back with two live chicks (which were presumably being freighted) sticking out of their mouths. One of their friends who was less drunk copped them on and got them to put the chicks back.

I left the carriage at that point and I've not been on Irish Rail since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You needn't worry about pulling the birds anymore as there is no longer a Fastrack service.

What's Fastrack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On Cork-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast you get nicer, wider seats (3 across instead of 4 across) with more leg room and table service.

On other routes its 4 across, meaning the only real differnce is decor and table service.

Its a train host - they are menat to be there for the whole train, but spend most of their time in first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭shaymousse

On the new trains 1st class is the buffet car as far as I can make out. Passenders without a first class ticket can sit in First class if its not advertised as such ie: on the timetable. Other than that you will be moved out by the ticket guy or catering staff fairly quickly! I dont think there is internet on any trains in Ireland could be wrong though. For the price of the ticket its not really much value. The Cork - Dublin service is better I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Instead of tea in a plastic cup, you get......wait for it.......

A real one!

I think there is also internet, nicer seats, radio etc. Pretty much like a plane.

Pretty sure there's no internet on Irish Rail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

From irishrail.ie about internet:

Q. Is there Wi-Fi technology onboard IÉ trains so I can access the internet?
    A.

Iarnród Éireann (IÉ) feels that it wouldn’t be in the public or the company’s best interest to install the current wireless technologies on its fleet for customer use due to the limited lifespan of said technologies. Anything we install now is likely to be completely redundant within five years.

We feel customers would be better supported by obtaining their own wireless solutions, such as those provided by the mobile providers (3G and GPRS/EDGE ).

IÉ is hoping that near-future new technologies such as WiMax and other long range wireless tech will make the idea of onboard solutions redundant. We will continue to monitor the speed of advance of such technologies and if we deem that change is not occurring quickly enough we may reconsider the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You're lucky there are wheels on the train - what more do you want? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Thalys have an excellent first class service from Paris to Amsterdam. Free WiFi (even in tunnels), comfortable seats, constant free snacks and meals (smoked duck, wine, etc) served by professional staff, newspapers in four languages.. Delay of more than 30 minutes = money back. And the 1,200 kilometer round trip, worked out per kilometer, costs less than a second class return from Cork to Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you travel first class you are expected to refrain from using any coarse language and also you should dress up appropriately. It would also look the part to be seen with a copy of the Irish Times when you are seated. :p
    churchview wrote: »
    What's Fastrack?
    Fastrack was a very useful money earning parcel service that CIE / Iarnrod Eireann formally operated when they had spacious trains powered by real locomotives.

A carriage / part carriage was reserved for such. One could drop a parcel off in Heuston on an evening train and a customer could pick it up at its destination down the country two or three hours later. Unfortunately with the new 22000 class multiple units one couldn't swing a cat in the luggage area, in fact it will hold little more than about two push bikes. :mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The above shows just how clueless and incompetent IR are. It is a truly embarrassing answer. Hopefully or German friends never read it.

Almost all portable electronics come with wifi, laptops, netbooks, high end mobile phones like the iPhone and Nokia N series, DS, PSP, iPod Touch, etc.

Wifi is about as ubiquitous as you get in technology.

The above answer is just a sad excuse for IR's incompetence in not installing this technology that is even now being installed on buses.

Advertisement