Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 billpay 99c / day for data from 07 Sept.

• 19-08-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/About+O2/Terms+and+Conditions/Customer+Notification/
    O2 wish to advise bill pay customers that effective from 7th September 2009, the default pricing for the mobile internet for bill pay customers, excluding iPhone customers, will change from an uncapped 1c per kb to a capped 99c per day. Usage is charged at 2c per kb up to 99c and then any further usage up to 50MB per day is included in the 99c charge. Usage in excess of 50MB is charged at 2c per kb. You do not need to sign up for this service, as it will be the default pricing for bill pay customers without a mobile internet add-on. These charges apply to mobile Internet usage in ROI only and exclude mobile internet usage while roaming.

Good news for those suffering from "bill shock" at home in Ireland I guess :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Not before time.

They still need to fix the roaming issue. Voda Live users have the same regime while roaming and I am an O2 customer bill customer seriously considering switching to Voda prepay for this reason, to avoid having to switch in the Voda sim when roaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They've fixed data roaming there too since the start of the month or thereabouts .. I've updated the FAQ entry here

The pricing still isn't perfect but it does serve to help limit unexpected costs some what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Random wrote: »
    http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/myconnect/O2/About+O2/Terms+and+Conditions/Customer+Notification/

Good news for those suffering from "bill shock" at home in Ireland I guess :)

This has been working on prepay for more than six months now.but i see how it makes sense on billpay.

flodis79 wrote: »
    This has been working on prepay for more than six months now.but i see how it makes sense on billpay.
    No one every complained they ran up a bill of €300 on prepay though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

The pricing still isn't perfect

True. They charge €19.92 for something Voda give you for 99c. But I suppose they used charge €999.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

yeah and voda does 99c in roaming too. beat that, o2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

This is great news and hopefully the other operators follow suit. One of the biggest rip-offs from mobile operators has been their default data charges for postpaid customers.

In addition, I wonder, if the other operators bring out the same pricing, how much money they will all lose out, as this has been a great source of income for them for years.

Mobile data pricing in this State is dysfunctional. One the one hand "broadband" is sold cheaply as if it was a reasonable replacement for fixed wireless and DSL, while the same amount of bandwidth is sold for 1000 times the price to real mobile users who want to use fairly small amounts of data from time to time. The difference between the best bulk deal for calls and the price charged to the walk in PAYG user is only about 5 times. Data pricing has to become like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

This will be default for all customers without a data addon including iphone users.

Was: 1cent per kb,
    Now: 2cent per kb upto 99cent a day up to 50MB and 2cent per kb after 50MB.

The 99c thing is very welcome. Will this work with phone as a modem?
    But does this double the cost of cabbage, is it 2c mininum?

• Advertisement

Yes and Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

hi, just wondering approx how much is 50MB equal to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭djdunny

aster 50 mb is equal to downloading 13 mp3s (given each mp3 was 4mb). im a prepay customer and was using this data add-on for my iphone. had the phone in my hand for about an hour and in that time manages to devour my way through 40 euros worth of credit. If you stay withing your 50mb then its a great but be warned if you go over it you'll have a nice hefty bill through your door in a months time.

Davy - I've merged your thread in here. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

thanks!

Is this working as advertised? I used some data over the weekend and was charged 1c per Kb rather than the 99c deal. I am on an old tariff, but it seems that they haven't fully programmed their system. Hopefully they will fix it without debate.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Is this working as advertised? I used some data over the weekend and was charged 1c per Kb rather than the 99c deal. I am on an old tariff, but it seems that they haven't fully programmed their system. Hopefully they will fix it without debate.

Its 2c up to the 99cent, so you aren't charged the 99cent straight away.

Is this working as advertised? I used some data over the weekend and was charged 1c per Kb rather than the 99c deal.

Replying to my own post, after some effort to get them to think about it O2 have come back to me and said that I was using the wrong APN. They said to change to wap.dol.ie. At this point I am not sure if this has changed the data charging. Is it not the case that the O2 FAQ suggests the internet apn? Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Bill data seems dangerous in general, there are such huge differences between what you are charged for a byte on one setting or one tariff rather than another and even if you get a package they screw you while roaming. The 99c thing suits me, as I use data only a few days a month, mostly at weekends. I am seriously thinking of changing to prepay to have clarity in my charges.

On further thinking it seems that I probably had open.internet as my APN and it says somewhere that apns other than the standard will continue to be charged at 1c KB with no cap. The only observation here is that Cabbage type applications could exploit this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I recently got myself a nice E51 for basic internet access on the go.

The O2 site says 99c up to 50MB without subscription but my latest bill shows a couple of data sessions including for example a session of 1.39MB for a charge of €5.74 :eek: I've been hit for about €20 instead of what should have been €3.96 :mad:

Having bought the phone in the big O2 store on Grafton St I naively assumed everything would be ready for use!

I've followed the link to the O2 FAQ from the previous post and had the correct settings texted to me.

Should I be OK now?

Can't get through to 1909 to complain about my bill!

O2 seem to be completely at sea on this one. I changed my settings as per my post above. My bill then changed from individual data sessions at 1c per KB to a per day charge, but instead of one of 99c it was a daily charge of €16!! They sent a query off to their technical people a 5 days ago. While they adjusted the bill for the earlier errors, it is difficult to have any confidence in them when there is still a problem 6 weeks after the 99c/day cost for bill customers was introduced!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Phoned O2 and turned out I had a data add-on to a really old tariff which entitled me to the mind-boggling data allowance of 1 Megabyte per month! :eek:

This over-rode the default 99c/day limit :o

Checked my recent usage online and sorted now.

This now seems to be working for me, 99c a day as advertised. Not before time.

Advertisement