Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sis got mugged today :(

• 19-08-2009 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

Just a warning for anyone, my sis got mugged today in broad daylight around 3pm by a scummer in a laneway between Santry & Coolock(beside old Gateway factory where you go over a small footbridge):mad:

Bloke in a tracksuit with fair hair snook up behind her and dragged her to the ground while trying to grab the handbag off her. He got away with the bag(mostly full of plastic cards) and all of ten euro and a cheap mobile phone. She is obviously shook up and a bit bruised. She is unemployed so has feck all money and every euro counts. Her boyfriend had a look around for her handbag afterwards in case it was dumped but couldn't find it.

Gardai took 1 hour to arrive, unreal. So anyone out there that know the area i'm talking about, be on your guard.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

That's really shit, I hope your sister is ok gurramok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What a scumbag. Sorry to hear about it. Hope your sister is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

prob a junkie looking for money for a fix - sorry to hear yer sis is shook up.

she's lucky nothing worse happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

thats lousy dude. f##king scumbags. hope she is ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

gurramok wrote: »
    Gardai took 1 hour to arrive, unreal. So anyone out there that know the area i'm talking about, be on your guard.

discraceful, santry and coolock stations are within walking distance. they should have got there earlier.
    i hope your sister is ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I know its cold comfort now, and will mean nothing.

But my day started out with all my cycling gear being robbed from the gym (I'd to cycle home in uniform in the pissing rain), on the way home my cycle computer fell off the bike and was run over by a car!.. Then I was hit by a bus in Fairview (but I was ok - a little scrap).

You know what, I looked to the heavens and thought 'Martin, you've just broken a bigger cross' (its a saying I got from my grandmother)..

And cycled home thinking that it could have been worse, and thats what I'm saying to your sister - thank God the little fvcker didn't beat her up, or worse!.

Oh, and I hope the scumbag little bastard die's screaming in agony @ a very young age.

Regards to your sister, I can only imagine your rage (I've a younger sister too) and her upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago around the same place, horrible to hear he's still doing it. I hope he gets caught soon and that your sister is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Though to be fair to the Gardai, they helped her with organising everything afterwards like cancelling cards, getting in touch with social welfare etc and looked after her to calm her down.
    She lives in an estate about a 10min walk away in Santry so thats why in a panic she went back home to wait for the gardai to arrive instead of going to the station which is understandable as she couldn't walk any further down that laneway.

What a cowardly cnut, she described him as fairly tall(like 6ft), well dressed in tracksuit attire(not dirty tracksuit if you know what i mean) and she is only 5ft in height and in her 40's.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Let's hope makikomi finds the culprit and uchi-matas him through a window.

discraceful, santry and coolock stations are within walking distance. they should have got there earlier.
    i hope your sister is ok

no offence intended to the OP .... and I'm not in any way supportive of a slow response .....but .......

Gardai are under resourced and unable to deal with "small" (virtually unsolvable) crimes.

and these types of occurrances are all too common

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Let's hope makikomi finds the culprit and uchi-matas him through a window.

I'm an Osoto Gari or Harai Goshi man :p

My own son was mugged about two years ago at Campions pub, guards made all the right noises on the night - then it took nine months of chasing the lazy bastards in Coolock GS station to take some action (they were provided with names and CCTV footage). Despite an interview with a Sgt, then the Supt nothing happened until my son seen the guy in a Chartbusters shop - and beat him to within an inch of his life, result... My son was arrested!.

No charges were brought, the other guy then went on the murder another guy in Darndale & is locked up (life sentence for all that means in this god forsaken country).

Had the police done something originally, a young man would still be alive - my son would still have confidence in AGS (he thinks they're lazy, uncaring feckers now)..

So when I hear of something like this happening to the OP's sister I always think that 'well maybe the guy is a junkie and will die a horrible and very young death', and thank god nothing more serious happened to the poor girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Just a warning for anyone, my sis got mugged today in broad daylight around 3pm by a scummer in a laneway between Santry & Coolock(beside old Gateway factory where you go over a small footbridge):mad:

Bloke in a tracksuit with fair hair snook up behind her and dragged her to the ground while trying to grab the handbag off her. He got away with the bag(mostly full of plastic cards) and all of ten euro and a cheap mobile phone. She is obviously shook up and a bit bruised. She is unemployed so has feck all money and every euro counts. Her boyfriend had a look around for her handbag afterwards in case it was dumped but couldn't find it.

@OP

I hope your sister is okay and has no serious injuries.

Top Security look after security in the Willsborough Industrial estate, Coolock and they should have CCTV cameras in that location as my brother used to work in one of the companies there years back.

Might be no harm in contacting Top Security at the security hut at the entrance to the estate as the incident may be recorded.

The Gardai really should be investigating this option.

Keep ringing them for an up-date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

gurramok - sorry to hear about your sister.

She may be a bit shook up about this for a while.

A guy attempted to mug me a few months ago, and I thought I was completely over it until last week someone approached me and (innocently) asked the time in the same manner the mugger had. All the fear and adrenaline shot through me again, and I had to go home and take it easy until the shaking stopped.

So, I'm just suggesting be there for her and offer support, and just keep in mind that this may be something that will affect her for a while, even after she seems to be over it completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

My own son was mugged about two years ago at Campions pub, guards made all the right noises on the night - then it took nine months of chasing the lazy bastards in Coolock GS station to take some action (they were provided with names and CCTV footage). Despite an interview with a Sgt, then the Supt nothing happened until my son seen the guy in a Chartbusters shop - and beat him to within an inch of his life, result... My son was arrested!.

Pretty sure if anyone beats anyone to within an inch of their life they should be arrested regardless, at least until a bit more light can be shone on the whole situation from the gardaí's point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Bummer Gurramok, I hope this doesn't affect your sis't confidence and I hope they catch the scumbags.

Jaysus Martin, bad day, best end it with a few pints with your son! God help anyone that gets in your way, they will be staring at the back of their eyelids for a while. I'd say you're in a fowler.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The thing is, though, these are not unsolvable crimes.

I would bet money some, if not all of the guards know exactly who this scummer is. The problem is nothing is done about it. If they charge him his solicitor gives the 'oh no I am from a broken home' crap and the judges who must think a 'broken home' is a licence to become an utter scummer give them another chance.

He will have had lots of chances before as I can assure you people (even scummers) do not go from doing nothing wrong at all to snatching bags and hurting women.

It's a terrible thing to have happened anyone. I hope your sister will be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Wuggectumondo

Sounds very scary, I hope your sister feels better soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

PCPhoto wrote: »
    no offence intended to the OP .... and I'm not in any way supportive of a slow response .....but .......

Gardai are under resourced and unable to deal with "small" (virtually unsolvable) crimes.

and these types of occurrances are all too common

The small things add up, it is usually the same small little ****s at it year in year out, the small crimes are what paralyses communities and lowers the everyday man/woman's quality of life.

The crimes are not unsolvable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

In the last 2 years, me and 6 friends collectively have been mugged or violently attacked about 15 times. It really is unreal how easy it is to put a knife to someone in broad daylight and take whatever they have. Theres no real gardai presence and even if someone does get caught there are so many different protections they have.

I once got dragged down a lane and robbed at about 7 pm on the Hollybank Road, then about 3 months later the Guards asked me in the do a picture identification. I had to choose from 16 photos. Now even if I had have spent an hour with the guy who did it in daylight I still probably would have had problems identifying him from 15 other people 3 months later. Absolutely ridiculous, this city really has just gone to the dogs.

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago around the same place, horrible to hear he's still doing it. I hope he gets caught soon and that your sister is ok.

Can't believe it has happened to you too in the same area, hope you are ok after it.
    Same bloke? I actually feel like going up there in anger to catch this fella but maybe thats just anger talk :)
    @OP

I hope your sister is okay and has no serious injuries.

Top Security look after security in the Willsborough Industrial estate, Coolock and they should have CCTV cameras in that location as my brother used to work in one of the companies there years back.

Might be no harm in contacting Top Security at the security hut at the entrance to the estate as the incident may be recorded.

The Gardai really should be investigating this option.

Keep ringing them for an up-date

The gardai went for a trawl through the CCTV cameras and they said they found nothing as they were not recording, will ask her though was it Top security they examined or some other crowd.
    In the last 2 years, me and 6 friends collectively have been mugged or violently attacked about 15 times. It really is unreal how easy it is to put a knife to someone in broad daylight and take whatever they have. Theres no real gardai presence and even if someone does get caught there are so many different protections they have.

I once got dragged down a lane and robbed at about 7 pm on the Hollybank Road, then about 3 months later the Guards asked me in the do a picture identification. I had to choose from 16 photos. Now even if I had have spent an hour with the guy who did it in daylight I still probably would have had problems identifying him from 15 other people 3 months later. Absolutely ridiculous, this city really has just gone to the dogs.

Thats awful. I have never been mugged myself *touchwood* but could only imagine the horror, hope you got over it and you are the usual same yourself, don't let the feckers put you down in life.

• Advertisement

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    Pretty sure if anyone beats anyone to within an inch of their life they should be arrested regardless, at least until a bit more light can be shone on the whole situation from the gardaí's point of view.

Yea, well I really don't give a flying fvck what your thoughts are on it tbh.

OP, if your sis is going to follow this up with the police, and it really sounds like there's not alot to go on. But either way, if she wants it followed up she has to be on their backs constantly.

Don't take all the excuses I was given - (it was a ban garda) "Oh, she's on lates/earliers/just finshed/in court/on leave/out sick/she'll ring you...blah blah blah".. I was sick to death being fobbed off.

Btw, how is your sister this evening?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    ...at least until a bit more light can be shone on the whole situation from the gardaí's point of view.

Ah, come on Martin, he sort of redeemed himself here!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

I thought my day was going bad.........OP I hope your sis is ok.....

I recently started a self defence class and would recommend one to everyone.....even if you have been mugged to regain confidence and if you haven't...better safe than sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What was she doing walking down that lane?:confused:

Guessing it's the tunnel that goes under the motorway? That's a very dodgy spot at any time of the day.

Originally Posted by DancingQueen:)
    Can't believe it has happened to you too in the same area, hope you are ok after it.
    Same bloke? I actually feel like going up there in anger to catch this fella but maybe thats just anger talk :)

anyone interested in taking a walk tomorrow around 3ish ?:rolleyes:

She's doing grand now Mairt, shock has worn off. Thanks for asking.

And to add, she has drawn a photofit of the assailant to the gardai.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    What was she doing walking down that lane?:confused:

Guessing it's the tunnel that goes under the motorway? That's a very dodgy spot at any time of the day.

Yeh, getting to the bus stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

The police were quite good about it ringing up and letting me know about cctv and everything, but i didnt expect them to catch him. It was after a dublin match and everyone was going around in blue clothes!
    Im guessing it was the same guy because they said it had happened before around the same place.
    I just don't go that way anymore, it's a longer walk to the other bus stop but i'm sure i'll get used to it.
    Be careful if you're walking down there, i might just sit this one out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

**** one man, goes to show the useless bastárds we have protecting our society yet again taking so long to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I work in Airways Ind. Est. which is the estate on the Santry side of the tunnel mentioned. I've never used it myself but there's a couple of lads working here who live in Coolock and even though using the tunnel would take about 10 mins off their journey to and from work, they won't go that way, and these wouldn't be lads that'd scare easy either.

• Advertisement

Yea, well I really don't give a flying fvck what your thoughts are on it tbh.

Just qouting myself here to withdraw that, its was abrasive.

What I really should have said is "I don't really care".

Advertisement