Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate fees and grants

Options
  • 19-08-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

hi there

just wondering if anyone has experience on this issue.

receiving a maintenance grant from external body for phd, will i still receive a grant from the vec and have my fees paid?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I don't think so, if so, I'll def be applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I don't think so, if so, I'll def be applying.

dont think so does anyone know either way for sure?

You can receive funding from an external body up to €16,000 - if you go over that, you can't get a grant:
    2.2 A candidate shall not be eligible to hold a grant under this Scheme if s/he holds:
    (i) a scholarship/grant awarded by another Local Authority, a Vocational Education Committee or the Department of Education and Science, or
    (ii) any other award payable from public funds, or
    (iii) the equivalent of (i) or (ii) from another E.U. Member State

The provisions at (ii) or (iii) do not include awards such as scholarships, prizes or bursaries, made by the institution being attended or postgraduate research grants where the grant received does not exceed a specified amount, which for the 2009/10 academic year, is specified to be €16,000. In addition the provision at (ii) does not include awards to candidates under the Student Assistance Fund, the Millennium Partnership Fund and the Fund for Students with Disabilities.

http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/support_higher.doc?language=EN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

If you are in receipt of a scholarship/funding of €16,000 plus fees, then you advise the local authority that you are in receipt of €16,000 and that you do not need them to pay your fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Furet wrote: »
    If you are in receipt of a scholarship/funding of €16,000 plus fees, then you advise the local authority that you are in receipt of €16,000 and that you do not need them to pay your fees.

Are you sure about that. I got a HEA grant last year. I have an SFI for 16000 plus fees. This year the council wrote to tell me that not only am I not getting the HEA grant this year but they also want me to repay it for last year. The concil says that the fees are considered part of the grant and that I was not entitled to it as 16000+fees brings me up to 21000. So now I'm not only down 3300 for this year but they want me to pay them back the 3300 for last year. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before. I have to be honest this has left me in a totally F***ed up situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

daragh8008 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that. I got a HEA grant last year. I have an SFI for 16000 plus fees. This year the council wrote to tell me that not only am I not getting the HEA grant this year but they also want me to repay it for last year. The concil says that the fees are considered part of the grant and that I was not entitled to it as 16000+fees brings me up to 21000. So now I'm not only down 3300 for this year but they want me to pay them back the 3300 for last year. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before. I have to be honest this has left me in a totally F***ed up situation
    holy sh!t did you get that sorted out?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭daragh8008

Not yet. I appealed the situation but haven't heard back from them yet. It is fairly ridiculous. All the SFI people would have to do is stop including the fees in the stipends and then the council would have to pay both the maintenance grant and the fees, so I don't know why they are being so stupid about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 life frenzy

I was wonderin if I would get the grant if I already got it last year as an undergrad and now that I am back in college doing a masters and gettin a scholarship of about 15,000 and my fees paid. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I was wonderin if I would get the grant if I already got it last year as an undergrad and now that I am back in college doing a masters and gettin a scholarship of about 15,000 and my fees paid. :confused:

wish i was getting 15k to fund my masters..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Ya WTF! People are going without double dole and can't buy christmas present for their families and the county council are paying your fees! Thats insane how much does a student need!
    Congrats on de scholarships though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 life frenzy

well out of that would be 6,000 fees leaving abt 9k to live off while working for the year, do the math its less than the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

well out of that would be 6,000 fees leaving abt 9k to live off while working for the year, do the math its less than the dole.

Sorry I misunderstood you as you said a scholarship of 15 grand and your fees paid which would leave you the whole 15k to live on.

Advertisement