Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2yr old dog driving us up the wall

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I got a lab cross from the dspca. Absoloutely beautiful dog but had the exact same problems. If left alone for 5 minutes he'd do some damage. He even ripped up the entire lino in the kitchen one night:eek: He was getting loads of walks and trips to the park everyday but he was just sooo destructive. I was worn out and it wasn't my house for him to wreck. Anyway got a dog trainer out to the house and it was the best thing I ever did. He is a new dog:D basically there were a number of things I was doing wrong. Firstly I was giving him the run of the house and garden all day. She reccommended one of those big cages for him to sleep in at night. Secondly she reccommended a dried food specially for Labs/retrievers that wouldn't make him as hyper and poop as much(that was another problem) Anyway she gave me loads of other tips too and it worked a treat so definitely get him trained:D

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

There is one other thing you need to do. When you are playing ball with he dog dont just throw it straight away when the dog brings the ball back. Hold the ball away from you and make sure the dog sits , Wait for the dog to stop concentrating on the ball , wait for the dog to calm down a little and look at you , then throw the ball. This takes time but it gets their mind working which dogs need also.

If you have a big garden try to train the dog to wait at the top of the garden until you go to the other side of the garden and hold the ball out , Wait a few seconds and tell the dog to get the ball. This is also good for the dog as it gets their mind working which is what your dog needs.

I can almost guarantee that this will reduce if not stop this kind of behaviour. It wont work on some dogs like jack russells which are a nightmare to train.

I had a border Collie puppy from 4 onths old to a year old. I used these tricks with him and done this a few times a day with him and he stopped doing any sort of damage after 3 months because he had some mental stimulation as well as walking a few times a week. I have bad knees so I cannot go for long walks every day. Another thing that helps is get a big real bone from the butchers or from a pet shop. Dogs love to chew on bones. But it is true what everybody else is saying. The dog is very bored.

PS. Please try to type in english and not TXT. TXT is just being lazy and sometimes hard to understand

Advertisement