Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't have any Health Insurance

Options
  • 19-08-2009 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

And I feel maybe I should get some. I've always assumed sorta that if something happens me I'll get covered .. but might just have to share a room with 100 other people or wait an extra month or two.

I have very little extra income each month to spend on it. I'm early twenties with no dependants etc etc.

I really don't care too much about claiming back costs of prescriptions or GP bills or what not.

Should I be bothered with health insurance? I've looked through a number of the websites but there's a lot to it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

If you are young, single, with no dependents and no family history of illness, and if money is tight, then you could probably survive without.

Entry level schemes will give you very little back on GP visits and only after you exceed a minimum threshold. You will get nothing back on prescriptions and between monthly caps and tax relief this is unlikely to cost you much.

I dont mean to try and cross-sell you, but if your dental work is poor, dental insurance from VHI may be a more sensible option as we get very little cover for this for our PRSI and likely to get less once Board Snip have their way

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Start off with a starter plan, Level 1 Hospital from Hibernian Aviva Health for €38 per month or Quinn Essential Plus Starter for €43 per month. Policy information on the company's websites. HIA has very limited information.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭billyhead

broker2008 wrote: »
    Start off with a starter plan, Level 1 Hospital from Hibernian Aviva Health for €38 per month or Quinn Essential Plus Starter for €43 per month. Policy information on the company's websites. HIA has very limited information.

Hi Broker,

I was justy wondering if you know are those prices you qoute after tax relief or before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I guess I'm trying to work out what this health insurance will do for me that's so great though? Does it just entitle me to faster treatment or does it pay for some treatment I couldn't get otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

billyhead wrote: »
    Hi Broker,

I was justy wondering if you know are those prices you quote after tax relief or before.

Net of tax relief.All prices on the HIA website and the insurance company sites as far as I know are net.Make sure with Quinn that they don't charge you extra for paying monthly by direct debit and that they give you 10% discount.Aviva will give you the discount automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭aonfocaleile

It all depends on the policy you decide on (if you decide on it) and what treatment you need (hopefully none!!) Generally health insurance will allow you to have treatment privately which you might not be able to afford otherwise. Going private is often faster than relying entirely on the public health service.

If you work, check if your employer is part of group scheme where the fees are deducted at source.

I have never had to use my health insurance but having it gives me peace of mind.

The main insurance providers in Ireland are VHI, Quinn (formerly BUPA) and Hibernian (formerly Vivas). I'm not sure if there are others. Have a look at www.hia.ie for independent information but its worth researching what policies are available from the health insurance providers.

Advertisement