Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cider in Australia?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Heading to Oz in a few weeks and seeing as I'm a regular Bulmers drinker here, just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the cider situation is in Oz? What brands do you like, what ones to avoid?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Strongbow is the main drink here. but not the same as at home, it's a mix of apple and pear. you can get this in most pubs (in sydney anyway)

Irish bars should have magners bottles (expensive) and bulmers on tap, I actually prefer the bulmers on tap. (which is not the same brand as ireland) more and more bars are now selling bulmers on tap.
    Prices go up and down wildy, I live in newtown and a pint can be $6 or 7.90 or a pint, and $5-5.50 for a schnoor and expect to pay around 8 in the city.

Aussies have not embraced cider yet, but they've started a marketing push recently and I have seen a lot more bars have bulmers on tap

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Cider Sunday in the Porterhouse, Surry Hills, Sydney. $5 pints (Magners)!

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Mercury cider is nice, I used to drink strongbow until I found this in the local IGA, its from Tasmania I think, its really nice cider and not as expensive as magners....

Mercury comes in dry, draught and medium sweet, brown bottles. Some pubs in NZ only served this cider when I was there. hope this helps, i thought Id go over to Oz and there would be no nice ciders, but I was pleasently surprised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Cheers for that, really didn't want to wean myself onto beer for the duration of the trip...that or I'd have been on the Morgan Spice and Coke for the 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah I have the same problem every time i'm back in Oz . Love my Bulmers here .

You might be very lucky and get Bulmers in some of the Irish Bars . I think that Scruffy Murphys has it from what I can remember could be wrong .

Best thing thought is to drink one of the widely avaible ones like thalia_13 said

Mercury cider or Strongbow

Mercury-Cider-bottle-large.jpgprodshot_strongbow.jpg

Also maybe consider just trying some of the local beers. As they say when in Rome .

Take a look at our Guide to Aussie Beers here

• Advertisement

Ozeire wrote: »

You might be very lucky and get Bulmers in some of the Irish Bars . I think that Scruffy Murphys has it from what I can remember could be wrong .

Bulmers in Oz = English bulmers
    Magners = Irish bulmers
    Scruffys have both, most irish bars in sydney will have both
    But magners is expensive

As I said earlier more and more Aussie bars are selling bulmers on tap now.
    Personally I think a pint of (english/aussie) bulmers > magners from a pint bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭DO'Carlo/Wex

Was in a similar situation in Prague a few years back.
    Ondly cider I could get was Strongbow imported from Uk in nightclubs & even then it was limited-enough supply.
    Not shure if Bulmers or Magniers could be gotten in the Irish Bar I was in. Too long ago; can't remember.
    However when we went off beaten path to typical non-touristey Czech boozers, I was royally screwed.
    Most lager or beer drinkers seem to be able to drink Pils or Heineken or Carlsberg or Lech without batting an eye-lid but I ondly drink cider.
    Vodka at a push r a fruity-wine but try asking for something like that & not being able to describe it properly because the last time you drank a wine was ondly to be polite & so you didn't make a note of the name, all you knew was it was red/rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Its available everywhere, strongbow comes in 3 or 4 varieties.
    There is a new cider on the market from Tooheys
    It's called Extra Dry Cider

Mellor wrote: »
    Its available everywhere, strongbow comes in 3 or 4 varieties.
    There is a new cider on the market from Tooheys
    It's called Extra Dry Cider
    http://www.lion-nathan.com/Great-Brands/AUS-Beer/Tooheys/5-Seeds.aspx

I tasted this in the rocks yesterday, was nicer than strongbow and $1 cheaper, it was decent enough and would try it again.

My local bottle shop now has loads of cider
    3xStrongbow
    3xNewtons (on special offer 4pack for $8)
    Bulmers
    Magners
    5 Seeds
    Pip squeak
    Mercury Artistan
    3 Oaks

When I moved to my place 2years ago, they only had Strongbow original!!

I reckon this summer they will push this big time, summer + cider are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

hussey wrote: »

My local bottle shop now has loads of cider
    3xStrongbow
    3xNewtons (on special offer 4pack for $8)
    Bulmers
    Magners
    5 Seeds
    Pip squeak
    Mercury Artistan
    3 Oaks

When I moved to my place 2years ago, they only had Strongbow original!!

I reckon this summer they will push this big time, summer + cider are awesome

Which bottle shop is that? I usually go to the Marrickville Metro one...they have feck all

• Advertisement

Which bottle shop is that? I usually go to the Marrickville Metro one...they have feck all

Yeah liqour land in Marrickville metro have all the above!!!
    They have a special on at the moment (well on saturday it was)
    bottle of Bulmers $4
    4 pack of newtons $8 (I tried these was nice)
    2x4pack of 3oaks for $18 I think

They are in the back, 2nd last fridge on the LHS, beside all the alco pops
    on the bottle shelf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sijae

Hi there I'm glad to hear you found some nice cider in OZ. I have just come back from the UK after a 19 day stay and I loved the cider there. I have only ever tried the Aussie Strongbow but in the UK I had a bit of everything however my favourite was the Jacques fruit cider. I hope to find something similar over here and if not I might have to make a push to have something like it here!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 MB81

hi all while on the subject of alco im move to oz soon myself and i was just wondering whats the nearest thing to clarsberg or the best larger you can get in oz. Thanks

Mate ... your should just try out them all!!

I've started to like beer recently and I think Blonde, Hans Super dry are pretty good.

Coopers pale ale is pretty nice if you like ale.
    Little creatures squires are the breweries like porter house beer at home, but nation wide

Avoid VB, Tooheys New (though extra dry is nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

Ha, I was back in Ireland with my girlfriend (who is Aussie) a few months ago to visit the family and she fell in love with Bulmers. The Aussies can't say Bulmers though, they pronounce it Bah-mers. Its sounds hilarious. Beer and cider is pretty crap here overall though unless you get imported or microbrewery stuff but that can be pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I miss Bulmers so much. I don't drink beer so really do miss my cider. For anyone in NZ, Monteith's are making cider now. Some places have it on tap. It's quite nice - it doesn't really taste like Bulmer's, it's sweeter and fruitier but still nice.

Macs also do cider on tap but I'm only found it in one pub - The Balck Harp on Featherston St in Wellington. It tastes very like Bulmer's though.

You can get Magners in some irish pubs (very expensive) and Bulmer's (the english one) in a lot of supermarkets. Haven't tried it yet as it's also quite pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

In Ikea here you can get Koppaberg but unfortunately it's non-alcoholic. I used to love the old Koppaberg on a Thursday night. Druids Mixed fruit is nice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

If your in Bridgetown in south WA, check out "The Cidery" homemade cider to die for!!

Advertisement