Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cut wiring

Options
  • 19-08-2009 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was trimming the hedge today with an electric trimmer and as you guessed it I cut the cord... I know I was retarded and it was quite dangerous. should i tryand repair it myself. (not much electrical experience) Or Do you know where I could get the cable repaired? for Around how much aswell? Thanks for your help. Glad I'm here to tell you bout it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Exar Khun wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was trimming the hedge today with an electric trimmer and as you guessed it I cut the cord... I know I was retarded and it was quite dangerous. should i tryand repair it myself. (not much electrical experience) Or Do you know where I could get the cable repaired? for Around how much aswell? Thanks for your help. Glad I'm here to tell you bout it.

Right the official line is have an electrician fix it. However what 99% of people will do is get a connector blocks in it and connect the two halves together then wrap the whole lot in insulation tape so its tight. You can actually buy an outdoor bonding kit if your worried about water getting in the tape

But tbh cause you are asking I would get an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I suppose when it comes down to it which is cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Don't do any kind of temporary repair. If the damage is near one end of the cable it would be possible to shorten the cable by cutting off the damaged end and re-terminating it either at the plug or strimmer. If this would result in the cable being too short the only option is to buy a suitable length of cable and replace the entire length. If you are not confident to do this then find someone who is.

A new cable should be around 30-40 cents a meter, so including labour to replace it should not cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Instead of using the connector block and tape thing (which always make me cringe), just discard the shortest bit of the "two cables" and just rewire the longest part to the plug.

EDIT - Oh Like ^^^he^^^ said

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

Thanks guys, I'll try cutting the wire and running them through again.

Sound

• Advertisement
Advertisement