Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prime or wide angle lens?

• 19-08-2009 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

HI All!
    Would like to know your opinion on getting one of the above.
    I would like to take group shots and or portraits and wondering which is better?
    I know the prime is a fixey but what would all go for here?
    tahnks
    john
    wide angles are serious dough!
    sony alpha a350 user

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

what size groups are you talking about ? large groups 25+ I would say go for the prime...but if the size of the groups change ie. 55+ or 8 I would say wideangle zoom.

I would normally opt for the wideangle zoom - but the quality in prime lenses is noticably better (my opinion - not factually based)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

nothing huge but big enough!
    Would it be more practical to get a wide angle but the quality would suffer a tad?
    thanks
    john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

digital or film / cropped or full frame????

for portraits a wide angle won't be terribly useful to you as at the wide angle it will make the cutest little button nose look like its been through 12 rounds with Mike Tyson pounding on it (size wise rather than the blood and brusing ;))

At a guess based on what you've put down, then you actually have two different requirements which you may need two different lenses to support.

Portraits should be taken with a good prime for sharpness and clarity of the image (yes you can get away with good telephotos too). But depending on how big the groups will be you may have to go quite wide. You can still think primes though - something like a 35mm prime or less.

What brand do you shoot? Your budget???

There are some very good telephotos about too. The current object of my desire is the pentax 50-135 f2.8 SDM - image quality, sharpness, and a nice range. Those that have succumb to this particular desire usually leave it more or less permanently attached to the camera.

You end up paying for quality - the above is likely to eventually cost me the guts of a grand but primes should be more affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    digital or film
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    What brand do you shoot?
    sony alpha a350 user

:P

Tallon wrote: »
    :P

Might have been edited in after the original post :P :P

(or my eyes could be deceiving me :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Wide angle prime :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

sony alpha a350 user

john

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

prime means it doesnt zoom

I have a 28mm wide angle prime
    and a 20-35mm wide angle zoom

wide angle is below 40mm ish, 20mm or below is ultra wide angle, above 40-80mm is normal, 80mm to 200 is short telephoto, 150 -400mm is long telephoto, 400mm and above is super telephoto

you can have a 400mm super telephoto prime lens

john

lol @ tallon - maybe i did actually miss it in the original post. tum-de-tum...... nothing to see..... move along :D

Advertisement