Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disaster.

• 19-08-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I finally finished my camper, It came in well other budget, but I feel it was worth every penny.

I emailed Dolman yesterday, I had already spoken to them on the phone before I brought the van, at that time they said “there shouldn't be any problems, just to make sure I had bodily access.”

I get a phone call today, "Your Van is considered a Truck and is too big" I pointed out that it is technically a Van, but even if you call it a truck its footprint is the same as a long wheel bass Sprinter.

I was then quoted from their policy "If you have a truck with a box body and you have adapted it for living where there is no bodily access to the driving cab. This is not acceptable." At this point I pointed out that I do have bodily access.

To which I was told that "We only insure Panel Van Conversions".

I have spent over €5000 and my whole summer working on this project, now I am told that I can not be insured.

I did everything right, before I spent a penny I read through the policies I spoke to camper owners, I phoned the camper van insurance people and checked that it was acceptable and Now I am told not only do i not fit there scheme but you have no other options. I might as well have got my €5000 and burnt it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

phone the camper club (http://motorcaravanclub.net/) and see if they can get you a quote from their insurers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Man, that stinks :mad:

Try again ...talk to a different person there, explore every avenue ...they can't just backtrack on you like that.

Really sorry to hear about that SolMB. I think there was a thread here somewhere about some umbrella insurance agency that will give you a quotation if you're refused by three companies first.

Good luck, hope you'll get your LT insured soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

damn i hope you get it sorted

im just starting a conversion myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Jaysus :eek:

I'd say you needed that like a hole to the head.

Like the other posters mentioned, keep hassling them and/or try alternatives, there must be a decent solution out there for you.

Keep the head up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sol_MB

Thanks for your support.

Feeling a bit better today.

Yesterday I was a little upset.

I'm phoning my insurance broker today, They do insurance through Stuarts, The problem is, I drive a Van and my Partner Drivers the Family Car and she only has 3 years no claims as she has not been driving for that long.

But I think I may be able to get my mother to insure the van and put me down as a named driver, The only thing is, if they already don't like the Van they might not be too pleased with that arrangement.

I was also going to press my Broker to ask my insurance company to insure the camper on my insurance policy as a second, even if its only Third Party with limited mileage (Big risk but at least I would be able to drive it).

Here are some photos of the nearly finished item. I still want to add some windows and get the whole van re painted.

Oh, Keithm1,

What sort of Van you converting?

Any Phtotos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

i don't really know the ins and outs of all this but as a last resort could you not insure it as a van as that's what is is/was?nice work by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

Looking good sol
    Mine is a jumbo transit ,i only bought it 2 weeks so im wiped money wise ,im just doing my homework at the minute
    My plan is to have it ready for around march ,i joined the sbmc site theres good info there for conversions
    yours is a whoper i would love that much space to play around with ,but unfortunatly this is also my everyday van
    Ill get some pics up when i start making a bit of progress hopefully the next week or 2

The best news in the world!

The lovely people at the Motor Caravan Club have decided to insure us.

I have to make a few adjustments but nothing to series. Apparently my 3 years no claims commercial insurance is worth 5 years Car no claims. So they will insure me directly.

Thanks for all your support, thought the build.

Good luck with your transit, keep posting I'm looking forward to seeing the work done. It takes a long time but it is worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Well Done Sol........happy camping to you Sir!

Result, great stuff. Your van looks good, plenty of space there. Many happy trips to you!

Advertisement