Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Communications in L.I.T. - a good course?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Is anyone here doing Visual Communications in LIT? If so can you tell me if it's any good? Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wong

I presume you mean in the Clare St. Campus? I'm currently doing it and I love it.
    It should be noted though that in your first year you need to do all subjects of art and design. It's a core year where you see where your strengths and weaknesses lie.
    If then, after the 1st semester of 1st Year, you found you still want to do Visual Communications, you go through a ranking period to earn a place in the subject for the 2nd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Caca25

Hi Wong, thanks so much for your reply.. Yes apologies Clare St, Campus.. You do that's great.. I won't be applying until next year as I was too late for this year.. I will be going back as a mature student! The portfolio that has to be presented, did you put much in yours? Thanks for your advice in advance:)

My portfolio was A1 in size containing about 20 pieces of art along with a load of sketchbooks and prep work. I was pretty well prepared before hand. I took portfolio preparation classes every friday for a while.

In the portfolio, I had quite a bit of traditional artwork. painting, charcoal, mixtures of colour and black and white, pencil. The more variation, the better! They really look for a wide variety of styles so don't pinhole yourself and go in there with just a lot of visual communication stuff. They want to see that you have a willingless to experiment and try different things. Hope this helps. Any more questions, just ask!

Yupe that helps loads thanks a million Wong.. Yeah I saw that portfolio prep course so I e-mailed a few people about it and now hopefully I'll be starting that in October.. Your portfolio sounds really good!! Thanks again for all your advice..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ScurfDog

Startin first year Art & Design in Sept... regestration next week. Livin in Grove Island yep the real deal! Cant wait to get started... what did you think of first year core?

• Advertisement

Caca25 wrote: »
    Hi Wong, thanks so much for your reply.. Yes apologies Clare St, Campus.. You do that's great.. I won't be applying until next year as I was too late for this year.. I will be going back as a mature student! The portfolio that has to be presented, did you put much in yours? Thanks for your advice in advance:)

I found with the portfolio interview, its just as much about what you say as your work. They asked alot about a few of my pieces and just flicked through the rest... They'll ask you alot about why you chose particular colours and materials. So if you know how to waffle about your pieces your half way there, they love when you show enthusiasim when explaining your work. I did the LIT interview twice, scored highly both times. By the way dont get caught up worrying about how many pieces you have, its defo quality over quantity

Thanks Scurfdog for your reply.. That's great to know, I was freakin a bit but I didn't realise that you have to do two interviews? So your starting soon far play to ya..

No you dont have to do 2 interviews. I did the interview last year aswell, i got it but LIT was my second choice so I decided to go for my first choice instead (which was visual communications in DIT, coincidentally). Decided that wasnt the course for me so decided to go for LIT again this year. Stop freakin out just get stuck into some pieces and go with the flow...you should try work with loads of different media aswell they really like that. So dont just limit yourself to the usual paints or pencil. Try collage, fabric, photography... they want to see exploration and enthusiasm just as much as skill. Best of luck

It's not about the destination most of the time but how you get there! So basically they love seeing the process you went through in to make a piece. Therefore sketchbooks and being able to talk about your work will score you highly ;)

Oh and Scurfdog, welcome to LSAD!
    May very well be seeing you around Grove ;)

Advertisement