Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing the Murals??

• 19-08-2009 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,
    I'm travelling up north at the end of the month for few days. Being from Galway and having a southern reg car is there certain areas i should avoid?
    I was hoping to visit alot of the murals in belfast etc, nationalist and unionist. I'd like to photograph them but with a southern reg car is it safe to get out and take pictures?
    Also, has anyone got any suggestions on little towns/villages that are worth a visit??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭narkymarky

JG,

Possibly the best way to get round the murals is to take one of the open top bus tours - theres a few companies running out of the city centre and by all accounts they are quite good. The other option is a black taxi tour (hilariously referred to as terror tours until people twigged this probably wasn't a great selling point!) which will get you the local knowledge and stops whenever your want a pic. If you google Belfast bus tours you'll get results for bus and taxi tours

If for no other reason both ways will save your time and effort trying to find your way around a new (I assume?) town - leaving you more time to do what you want to do.

Goo luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

As NarkyMarky says...probably the best way to get about Belfast and the murals is on an open top Belfast tour bus...one of which leaves opposite Primark (Pennys in the Republic) smack bang in the city centre shopping area!!!
    Never been on a black taxi tour, but I'd guess they'd be more expensive...plus I assume they overexaggerate on a lot of things!!!
    As for your southern registered car...you'll be safe...I've seen plenty of them driving along main roads in staunchly unionist areas...no one really cares these days!!! Although like anywhere you get the odd twat who gives the majority a bad name!!!
    As for towns to visit near Belfast...Bangor is always good with it's Marina (about 15 miles from Belfast)...Helen's Bay beach is enroute to Bangor and is lovely for a wee stroll!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭serfboard

If you want to see the murals in safety ... and in the comfort of your own home, you can always use Google StreetView :) (They're all there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 JGKyne

Cheers Paul... I'll try and fit Bangor in on my travels. I'm headin' up tomorrow for the weekend!!

Advertisement