Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for a plumber..

Options
  • 19-08-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

My bathroom is down stairs and i have a mixer tap/shower on the bath,all the cold taps in the house are mains fed and i cant run a pipe from the attic tank (well definatly not now that i have just re done the bath room)

What im asking is could i put a pump on the hot feed only coming from the hot cylender to boost the shower pressure , and if i did would it affect the cold water mains going into the shower/mixer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My bathroom is down stairs and i have a mixer tap/shower on the bath,all the cold taps in the house are mains fed and i cant run a pipe from the attic tank (well definatly not now that i have just re done the bath room)

What im asking is could i put a pump on the hot feed only coming from the hot cylender to boost the shower pressure , and if i did would it affect the cold water mains going into the shower/mixer?

In a nut shell its hard to know. The problem with fitting a pump is that most are twin impeller and that involves connecting the hot and cold. You can buy single impeller but this is suppose to pump mixed water. There is no reason in the world that the plumber cannot by pass the mains in the attic and connect a twin impeller but its hard to know without looking

To answer you question simple and easy as possible without a survey a single impeller pump is all you can use. This should not be connected to hot water only.

A survey is required by a plumber.

thanks for your reply joey.

Dont know what you mean by bypassing the mains???
    I probably should have said , my rising main comes out of the bathroom floor , to feed the toilet, sink, bath and lectric shower , and then feeds the kitchen, an on up to the attic to feed the feed and expansion tanks .

There is no cold feed from the attic tank to any taps, only to feed the hot water cylender.

Ah so its all mains. Well then your only option if the mains is low is to fit a T450I in line with the mains. A plumber will know what to do.

If you have not got a tank you cannot fit a t90

The mains is fine , im just looking to boost the pressure from the hot tank to the shower head,

• Advertisement

The mains is fine , im just looking to boost the pressure from the hot tank to the shower head,

I am confusing myself sorry never mind you. No there is not much you can do. A single impeller pump can be attempted on the hot tap but it could burn out the seals.

This is not a rec application for the pump.

Ah right cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

In a word no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

How about splitting the hot pipe into two, putting that into the pump and joining it back into one before the tap? .. just a guess, never tried it!

I thought of that myself but as joey said those pumps arent designed for hot watere only so2 pipes going in with piping hot water will probabaly melt the pump.

• Advertisement
Advertisement