Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangsters send threat to Limerick bloggers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

F'ing scum! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I read this in the limerick Chronicle the other day. Quoted the txt speak and all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

Could they really find the bloggers through an ip address?its scary to thing that the scum are now learning computer skills at least when they couldnt read or write we were a few steps ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Could they really find the bloggers through an ip address?its scary to thing that the scum are now learning computer skills at least when they couldnt read or write we were a few steps ahead

Chances of that happening are very very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I don't see why not, some of these people are capable of shooting themselves in the head, what makes you think they can't get your IP address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I know your IP address,I know where you live ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

Roadend wrote: »
    what makes you think they can't get your IP address.

pay someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

betonit wrote: »
    pay someone?

Wouldn;t it have to be the limerickblogger guy they'd have to go through to get ip addresses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Its not possible for this to happen and they don't have the IP address unless

A. They are an admin/mod on the site with rights to view the details
    B. They no admin/mod, doubt this
    C. They gained access to the site and got it, which I highly doubt these bloody scumbags did, they can hardly read and write for God's sake.

They will have an idea of the location, as in limerick or the location of the exchange and that's it, I think it may be possible for the likes of guards to get the location once they get a court order to give to the ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Can we really even be sure it is these people though and not just some kid pulling a prank.
    Horrible to hear all the same

• Advertisement

That's more then likely the case id say, they got the attention they were looking for anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

wow threatening to kill someone on a forum is headline news :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Westwood wrote: »
    wow threatening to kill someone on a forum is headline news :rolleyes:

I'm going to kill Westwood and turn him into Slippers.

- I want a 9 page photo spread in Hello Magazine for my troubles.

I just feel sorry for the Collins Family - Hopefully Justice from any quarter will be served against the people responsible someday.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Barrypr wrote: »
    They will have an idea of the location, as in limerick or the location of the exchange and that's it, I think it may be possible for the likes of guards to get the location once they get a court order to give to the ISP.

On the other hand the guards should most definitely have the ability to get the IP address of the person who sent the threats and arrest them. If someone posted a note through my door threatening to kill me I'd like to see them arrested and the same goes for posts of this nature online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

iguana wrote: »
    On the other hand the guards should most definitely have the ability to get the IP address of the person who sent the threats and arrest them. If someone posted a note through my door threatening to kill me I'd like to see them arrested and the same goes for posts of this nature online.

they were fairley fast to get the ip address of the guy who pinned the biffo caritures on the national gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd probably pay more attention to a legal threat than a death threat from some anonymous guy on the Internet tbh. It's not as though we don't get those here either, though happily not every day. I assume that the comments section and forum record IP addresses for the LB admins anyway so they could be passed on if the LB guys wanted to (at the request of a superintendent or above with cause they legally have to be anyway).

edit: having said that, it's probably a bit less nice when the guy making the threats may be a €1.60 bus ride away, regardless of whether the threats are serious or not.

Yep they should but they won't, phone calls/texts/emails are all being logged now, and guards have more access then they did before.

Sidenote/
    Do you trust the gov with this kinda of info, when you see laptops getting stolen from backseats of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Ah crap, beginning to regret putting that threatening letter* through your letter box now.

(only joking, it actually says "I REALLY like Iguana")

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭jackrussell007

here here
    i hope they follow it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Barrypr wrote: »
    Yep they should but they won't, phone calls/texts/emails are all being logged now, and guards have more access then they did before.
    1. The actual content isn't being logged by the ISPs as that would require a scary amount of storage capacity, especially for the calls.
    2. It isn't being done yet
    3. It still requires a request from a superintendent or above.
    4. In this case the Gardai would ask the Limerick blogger admins for their records of the IP addresses the comments were posted form as no-one has the time to go through every ISP in the country to check to see is they had someone who might have posted it (it would make little sense to do it the hard way when they could do it the difficult way). The gardai would then take that IP address to the internet service provider who own that IP address and ask them for a physical address so they can go door-knocking. Very few people are really anonymous on the Internet.

But the Limerick blogger people presumably can see the IP addresses of who's posting on their own site. The admins on boards can see the IPs of people who post here, it's always been so and it's the same for every other user adminned site. If you expect the gardai to be able to get the info in some uber-sekrit techy way (or more to the point, to have t bother getting it in some uber techy way), you're not au fait neough with the way the Internet works in general. They don't actually have to go to any trouble to do that.

Do I trust the government with this information? Firstly it's a separate issue - there's a big difference between having records of the IP adddresses posting on your site and someone's ISP keeping records of every Internet site they've visited. And there's a big difference between one comparatively small site having a list of a few hundred or thousand IP addresses over the entire course of their history and my ISP requiring space to store thousands of requests just from my computer every day of the week (every single request for a file or every single packet request, even that may take massive amounts of storage without storing anything useful). The government aren't the ones who will be keeping it - that'll be the ISPs. Do I trust the ISPs with the information? Apart from basic privacy concerns, there isn't all that much useful information being stored. I don't particularly like it but it's not as though they have records of what I've been saying on the phone (and I don't use my ISP email service so they don't have access to anything there other than being able to identify which provider I use). But as you say, that's a side discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 ninety6days

course they cant. the whole country is on dynamic ips.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Problem is we as people with moral actually give these gangters the same status as there victims when it comes to human rights etc, If you or me had a Dog which tried to take a bite out of someone we'd put it down in a matter of hours. I beleive we need to get a lot harder when it comes to these ppl.

Feel free to disagree but I for one think the gardai themself can be scared of these due to lack of funding, staffing and "Correct training and equipment" for the job at hand. I think that been innocent until proven guilty should not apply in these cases as most of ireland knows the names and address's of these scum.

The other saturday morning I was in the park with me beautiful 2 year old daughter and some boys around 6 or 7 where playing what I tought of cops and robbers but to my horror the boy who played the robber called himself by the name of one of these well know gangters and the cops role was to run away from him. It boiled my blood to think that not only are this people ruining the lifes of many a family but are also influanceing children as far away as CARLOW!

Advertisement