Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money for back garden and rent deduction?

Options
  • 19-08-2009 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Was wondering could I get a bit of advice. Myself and my G/F moved into her mothers old house so we just continued on paying rent and all other bills so there was no contract.

Now the thing is the back garden is a total mess. When we came it had weeds everywhere, decking half done along with some other issues. Anyways I was thinking about asking the landlord for money to do up the back garden a bit. I did already dig it all up hand took all the weeds out raked it, flattened the lawn, put down grass seeds but by the time they grew the weeds were flying back up. So this time I want to get a gallon of Gallop spray the whole garden, hire out a rotovator flatten it all again and put down more lawn seeds.

Do you think I should be able to get money off the landlord to do this? I've already spent money on the seeds and digging it up which was all a waste of time, I bought the decking that was needed to finish off the back garden and got the varnish (E50) to name a few.

We also asked could they drop the rent! They agreed to do this by (E50) a month but the way things are going I'm not sure it's enough, does (E50) seem fare?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Most landlords will be willing to give money for materials if the tenant wants to improve the property. However some landlords will be a bit annoyed if you ask for materials to fix something that was fine when you moved in and the only reason it needs work is due to tenant neglect. I am not saying this is the case but I would guess the place did not have a massively overgrown garden when it was first rented to the mother.

Compare your rent with comparably property locally advertised and if his rent is higher still ask for a further reduction if not you are paying the market price which seems fair to everyone. If you go for the theory get what you can while you can then fine but that is no different from landlords putting up rent every chance they get. I think everybody should try to be fair there is an element of karma in that theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's not the landlord's responsibility to look after the garden. Your GF's mother should have been keeping the grass cut and weeds under control.

Advertisement