Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irelands Longest Running Streak

• 19-08-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Just wondering what is your longest continious number of running days in a row.
    Min criteria; the run must have taken place within every 24hr daily cycle.
    must be a concious effort to run and min distance is 2 miles; the USA recommend min of 1 mile must be covered.

My personal running streak is I have not missed a days running since 1st Jan 1998.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭ss43

That's impressive if you've done good training for all those years. If you've hobbled 2 miles to keep up a streak, it's a bit silly in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mine is currently 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

I think you should read Ronald Hill Story....highly recomended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Spiderspeed

ss43 wrote: »
    That's impressive if you've done good training for all those years. If you've hobbled 2 miles to keep up a streak, it's a bit silly in my opinion.

Thanks I've been running over 30yrs now and I reckon I have been told its a silly persuit a million times.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just wondering what is your longest continious number of running days in a row.
    must be a concious effort to run and min distance is 2 miles; the USA recommend min of 1 mile must be covered.

My personal running streak is I have not missed a days running since 1st Jan 1998.
    So who's up for the million mile challenge?:D

Fair play to ya, begs the question though Spiderspeed, what do you do when you're injured?

• Advertisement

Fair play to ya, begs the question though Spiderspeed, what do you do when you're injured?

I get niggles but nothing that has prevented me from running everyday. The niggles tend to increase if doing vigorious speedwork. A greater problem is colds and flus but I run through them.

I don't know if any human being has run over a million miles. There are guys in USA who have run over 300k.

locteau wrote: »
    I think you should read Ronald Hill Story....highly recomended.

Yes Ron Hill is a legend....now hes a real runner!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't know if any human being has run over a million miles.

I'd say there's a couple of nutjobs on here who come close.

Mine is currently 0.

well if you run tomorrow that will be one and then the next day that will be two. Simple addition just take each day and jut run that day.

• Advertisement

I'd say there's a couple of nutjobs on here who come close.

Lol o'm prob one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭Peckham

Admirable dedication. Fair play to you.

Why did you start doing this? Was it your plan from 1st Jan 1998 to keep running every day for 10 plus years?

My streak is 9 days I think!

So, does this mean that a 4 mile run, with two miles either side of midnight counts as a run on each day? Have you taken this approach at any stage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Running is a selfish sport in many ways. How does this "streak" happen with family,friends and social events etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Ron hill is a legend alright and some of his achievements are right up there. Not sure of the logic of 'running' the day after a car accident as he once did though (it might have been on crutches too). But what is the point of running every day year after year after year. You'd think some downtime would help. You'd want an understanding OH thats for sure :)

jinka wrote: »
    Running is a selfish sport in many ways. How does this "streak" happen with family,friends and social events etc?

Running is probably selfish depending on your personal attitude i suppose. Well if you want to make time for somthing you will. I usually plan ahead. There have been occaions when I ran at 3 in morning to make sure I would have it completed within a 24 hr cycle. There have been near misses but managed to get my miles in before midnight. Sounds obcessional when Iactually start discussng this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i thought this thread was about nudie running.

oh well

Peckham wrote: »
    Admirable dedication. Fair play to you.

Why did you start doing this? Was it your plan from 1st Jan 1998 to keep running every day for 10 plus years?

My streak is 9 days I think!

So, does this mean that a 4 mile run, with two miles either side of midnight counts as a run on each day? Have you taken this approach at any stage?

No I didn't start out t run for this long it just happened. I have been running over 30 yrs and ran competitive in my teenage yrs. Previously it was a miracle if I got to 365 days. I couldn't believe it when I crossed the 1000 day threhold an I just kept going. I just take each day as it comes.

I actually run min of 6 miles a day. the min criteria is 2 miles in any 24 hr cycle. I see your point about a 4 mile run accross midnight being 2 mile in each day. I think the spirit of the streak is to go for an individual run each day.

oh well

Never ran naked....prob get arrested

Ron hill is a legend alright and some of his achievements are right up there. Not sure of the logic of 'running' the day after a car accident as he once did though (it might have been on crutches too). But what is the point of running every day year after year after year. You'd think some downtime would help. You'd want an understanding OH thats for sure :)

What is the point of running everyday? Ultimately becaus I love doing it. Its not easy. Somedays you don't want to run but then I just do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭LambDave

oh well

Your username suggests you've tried one of the the OP's 3am runs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Denis McCarthy of East Cork AC has a streak going back more than 26 years. There was an article somewhere on him, but I can't find it at the mo. As with Ron Hill, you'd be amazed at what Denis did to keep the record going - like the time he was in hospital for tests. He asked if he could go for a walk, but went for a run:eek::D.

I had a streak of 12 and a quarter years going until a (work related)accident :eek::eek::eek: put paid to it. I couldn't be bothered starting the streak again - catchup would take too long, so I now only run about 28 days a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭aero2k

Today will be 69:)
    A long way from a million miles....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

aero2k wrote: »
    Today will be 69:)

...and..... are you running before or after??:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

There was an article in the Irish Runner last year or the year before on someone who had a continious run for X number of years. Was that about you Spiderspeed or was it about Denis McCarthy of East Cork AC as Condo131 says?

geld wrote: »
    There was an article in the Irish Runner last year or the year before on someone who had a continious run for X number of years. Was that about you Spiderspeed or was it about Denis McCarthy of East Cork AC as Condo131 says?

Te aticale did not refer to myself. Has Denis McCarthy the current irish record. I attach a link to the USA running streak association (yes unbelievably one exists) which has records of individuals running continiously upwards of 40 yrs. http://runeveryday.com/lists/RunningStreakList.htm

Condo131 wrote: »
    Denis McCarthy of East Cork AC has a streak going back more than 26 years. There was an article somewhere on him, but I can't find it at the mo. As with Ron Hill, you'd be amazed at what Denis did to keep the record going - like the time he was in hospital for tests. He asked if he could go for a walk, but went for a run:eek::D.

I had a streak of 12 and a quarter years going until a (work related)accident :eek::eek::eek: put paid to it. I couldn't be bothered starting the streak again - catchup would take too long, so I now only run about 28 days a month or so.

sorry about the accident but 12 and quarter yrs is a major achievement.

Advertisement