Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

civil eng to mechatronics

• 19-08-2009 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

ive been offered civil eng in sligo i.t, but now im thinkin that i would rather do mechatronics. both courses in the i.t.
    Im hopin that there will be vacant places on mechatronics so that i can apply for a second round offer, but failin that do ye think it would be possible to swap between the two directly in the college?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alan20

ayapatrick wrote: »
    ive been offered civil eng in sligo i.t, but now im thinkin that i would rather do mechatronics. both courses in the i.t.
    Im hopin that there will be vacant places on mechatronics so that i can apply for a second round offer, but failin that do ye think it would be possible to swap between the two directly in the college?

they're both real good courses.

the thing is about second round offers, all the vacancies for the course could be filled from the first round offers.

You could go ahead with the first round offer and see about requesting a change, I think you can, but then again, it's fully dependant on vacancies. If you can't get mechatronics, you're still doing a real good course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

ya id say theyd be good alright. did you study one of them?
    i remember last year there definitely was vacancies on the mechatronics. but the points went up this year so maybe more demand for it and there might be no vacancies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Alan20

i'm studying pharmaceutical science, going into second year, alot of people i knew were doing civil engineering and they liked the course

yeah, that's only problem plus i dunno what the demand is like. i think you should give civil engineering a go anyways, and if your still reconsidering when you get in there, you could ask about changing course. i'm sure you'll like the course though. what do you think is best? by accepting civil eng. aswell, you're actually securing a definite place

Alan20 wrote: »
    i'm studying pharmaceutical science, going into second year, alot of people i knew were doing civil engineering and they liked the course

yeah, that's only problem plus i dunno what the demand is like. i think you should give civil engineering a go anyways, and if your still reconsidering when you get in there, you could ask about changing course. i'm sure you'll like the course though. what do you think is best? by accepting civil eng. aswell, you're actually securing a definite place

i honestly dont know? the civil is lv 7 but i have the requirments for the lv 8. but i didnt apply for the lv 8 because i had a different course as my first choice. so i might try gettin in on the lv 8.
    oh im definitely going to accept it.
    i dont know what bullin was on me fillin the cao form?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

The Civil L8 mght not be running. Might be worth checking with the college / CAO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

@ ayapatrick - congrats on your acceptance.

I've been lecturing part time at IT Sligo in the Dept of Engineering, (specifically on the 1st year mechatronics/elect. eng/mech eng) but I can't say I speak for the IT or the programme. You should contact the IT directly to help make your choices.

The Dept of Engineering has sort of sub-departments; and Civil is in a different sub-department to Mechatronics/Elec. Eng/Mech Eng, with a different head of department.

The mechatronics/elec. eng/mech eng have a "common first year" programme. In that, you would be studying pretty much all the same modules (classes) together. This means you get to try out different aspects of all those as a first grounding. They give the option of switching, but as I've seen, very few students do. It's such a good idea though, as I can't understand how people can know what they want to study when they're only fresh out of secondary school.

Civil Engineering is a different first year, with different components. I think it would be difficult to switch, and I'm not sure it is possible. I can't say for sure though! You should contact Frank Carter who heads the Mechatronics/Elec. Eng/Mech Eng department.

He can give you a better idea.

If you feel strongly that civil isn't the choice for you, hold out for your second round, else take a year out, defer, retake the leaving. If you're passionate about it, it could make all the difference to you.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully see you around the IT sometime!

nearly wrote: »
    @ ayapatrick - congrats on your acceptance.

I've been lecturing part time at IT Sligo in the Dept of Engineering, (specifically on the 1st year mechatronics/elect. eng/mech eng) but I can't say I speak for the IT or the programme. You should contact the IT directly to help make your choices.

The Dept of Engineering has sort of sub-departments; and Civil is in a different sub-department to Mechatronics/Elec. Eng/Mech Eng, with a different head of department.

The mechatronics/elec. eng/mech eng have a "common first year" programme. In that, you would be studying pretty much all the same modules (classes) together. This means you get to try out different aspects of all those as a first grounding. They give the option of switching, but as I've seen, very few students do. It's such a good idea though, as I can't understand how people can know what they want to study when they're only fresh out of secondary school.

Civil Engineering is a different first year, with different components. I think it would be difficult to switch, and I'm not sure it is possible. I can't say for sure though! You should contact Frank Carter who heads the Mechatronics/Elec. Eng/Mech Eng department.

He can give you a better idea.

If you feel strongly that civil isn't the choice for you, hold out for your second round, else take a year out, defer, retake the leaving. If you're passionate about it, it could make all the difference to you.

Best of luck to you, and hopefully see you around the IT sometime!
    Must ring them alright!
    TBH thats why i want to do the mechatronics now, because i could have the broad range of options with it.
    Thats another thing that came into my head aswel, the courses seem to be at either end of the spectrum between civil and mech - might be impossible to swap.
    problem is i already took last year out and wouldnt be keen on another one(especially with this fees thing), and no point repeatin because i got on well enough points wise so im covered well!
    thanks for the advice!

dingding did you hear something. there was no points issued for the level 8 anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 navanavan

What happened with the level 8?

Im going into 3rd year civil in sligo now in sept hoping its a decent spot, coming from 3 years in DKIT.

Couldn't recommend civil eng anymore, i love it!

navanavan wrote: »
    What happened with the level 8?

Im going into 3rd year civil in sligo now in sept hoping its a decent spot, coming from 3 years in DKIT.

Couldn't recommend civil eng anymore, i love it!

i contacted the college to find out if it was cancelled but never got an answer.
    are you goin into the level 8?
    its supposed to be fairly gud alrite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 navanavan

Yeah but its through advanced entry, so I'm going into 3rd year, i would guess that from the level 7 you can advance to the level 8 by obtaining merits throughout the course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 dabbido

I'm going into fourth and final year of the level 8 civil engineering in sligo. Have to say that overall, i have enjoyed the course so far, though the work load is fairly big at times. I'm surprised to see that they have cancelled (?) the course for first years, there must be no demand.

Advertisement