Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build Quality

Options
  • 19-08-2009 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

From reading the Boards for some time now, it has confirmed my opinion that the build quality in Charlesland is sloppy to say the least.
    Okay - after a bit of wear and tear you expect to do a little bit of DIY, but I get the feeling my house (2-bed) was literally thrown up.
    The finish is careless. We have replaced the washing machine. The extractor fan in the downstairs toilet began to pour with water - some of which has seeped into the plasterwork around it.
    The extractor fan in the bathroom simply stopped working for a while and then resumed working.
    The light on the living room wall has stopped working - as has the one over the front door.
    The grill element in the cooker has also given up.
    Our water pressure has dropped to nothing.
    Now the uselsess sealant in the shower has given out to reveal that it has been leaking for ages and it needs to be redone. A piece of the plasterwork bay the base of the shower guard crumbled and fell out last week as it has been soaked for so long.
    We were first time buyers and did have a snag, but I feel we were taken for a ride. It's only a matter of time before something else goes wrong.
    I have no sympathy for the builders and their current situation.
    They deserve none.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The estate was built by a number of different developers, so you can only speak for your own house. What part are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

If it's a Durkan one, I'd agree 100%. Ballymore were better, no doubt. however much of what you list are appliances which lets face it are rubbish brands. The shower thing, I agree is a big problem. They seem to have tiled and sealed with chewing gum. Most houses in the court will need to redo their bathrooms in unacceptable time. Our boom was a boom for cowboys. I really feel for folk who paid up to 570k for these houses and thousands around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Mine was built by Durkan and the finish of the place is muck...
    They were clearly in a rush to get things done.

I had to reseal the bathroom too however I done a much cleaner job.
    I've also replaced the skirting boards, once again to make it look better.

Last month I had the front bedroom floor up to get to a pipe that was creaking everytime hot water went down it... it was quite loud too.

The back doors would only stay closed if the handle was pulled up.. this was down to the latch being located to far away from the locking bolt.

Down stairs jacks was a no-go area whilst i sust out were the mighty pong was coming from.... this was a leaky trap due to a crowked waste pipe.

Finally, Only the other day I finished the woodwork on the doors and window frames... I was surprised how badly they needed doing...
    Luckly not a bad job to do though, least I know its done right now..

Mr Durkan if you are reading this, Don't bother sueing me as Woodies now has all my money..!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

If it's a Durkan one, I'd agree 100%. Ballymore were better, no doubt. however much of what you list are appliances which lets face it are rubbish brands. The shower thing, I agree is a big problem. They seem to have tiled and sealed with chewing gum. Most houses in the court will need to redo their bathrooms in unacceptable time. Our boom was a boom for cowboys. I really feel for folk who paid up to 570k for these houses and thousands around the country.

Completely agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

We owned a 2-bed house there up until recently. The quality of finish wasn't the best, but it wasn't as bad as some make you think either. It was alright with a number of niggly issues which indicated that the cowboy builders really wanted to get it done as quickly as possible.

We raised 4-5 issues with Durkan and in fairness they were very helpful with it and fixed them promptly and at no charge. Even when we were selling (this is more than 3 years after we bought the house), the buyers surveyor pointed out an issue in the partition walls in attic that needed to be redone and Durkan sent someone around and fixed it straight away. So if there are any major issues I advise you to contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mcmann

I'm in the Court, and while I can indeed "only speak for my house", I did mention that I posted this after reading the Boards and seeing similar complaints.
    I suppose they were flinging the Court up to get finished and get out.
    I didn't know the appliances were rubbishy brands when we viewed.
    I didn't expect an Aga in the kitchen, but if I thought things were going to fail this quickly, I honestly wouldn't have bought.
    I'd prefer no white goods and a decent build quality.
    MuffinsDa - you got some change out of Durkan after three years - I suppose that's something.
    And they were our builders, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Have to say I disagree with this, we're very happy with the quality of our house overall but I think it does depend which part you're in (we're in the Park). There were also 2 different Durkan companies so maybe it depends which of those were involved as well, I know we found ours very good at coming back for the first few months setting any remaining snags to rights (we were lucky tho' in that they were still on site after we bought) and we haven't really had any problems with the house or appliances since - fingers crossed :). We were a while looking to buy and saw some dreadful "show houses" in other developments around Dublin/Wicklow (With cracks down the walls!) so were impressed with the quality of the Grove/Park Show houses when we looked at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Lumbarda wrote: »
    Have to say I disagree with this, we're very happy with the quality of our house overall but I think it does depend which part you're in (we're in the Park). There were also 2 different Durkan companies so maybe it depends which of those were involved as well, I know we found ours very good at coming back for the first few months setting any remaining snags to rights (we were lucky tho' in that they were still on site after we bought) and we haven't really had any problems with the house or appliances since - fingers crossed :). We were a while looking to buy and saw some dreadful "show houses" in other developments around Dublin/Wicklow (With cracks down the walls!) so were impressed with the quality of the Grove/Park Show houses when we looked at them.

Im in the Park and we have a few cracks in different areas. Two of the toilets have leaked and now there is damp patches in the ceilings under the toilets. Im renting and have told the owner. Im just glad i didnt pay 550 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

I've experienced similar problems myself, from lumps of plaster popping out where the pins are on ceilings and walls to water damage. I've got straight on to the builder for the water issue and it was sorted including the replacing of the floors. they're currently looking at another issue I have. the builders are still liable for defects but not wear and tear or substandard finishes which you accepted. If your problem is serious as with the issue of the showers falling apart, and seem to have exist following construction then contact the builders. Failing that there is the builders bond / insurance (homebond for instance) which provide a 10 yr guarantee for their work. This was standard in most sales but be sure to check the details of your purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sparkle*

i'm having terrible problems with our toilet. it is leaking and when we looked behind the panelling, it is really black damp and still leaking plumbing is atrociously done, will the bui;der come back and fix this, the management company told me i would have to pay for it myself to be fixed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

youknowwho wrote: »
    lumps of plaster popping out where the pins are on ceilings and walls

this is very common on any walls that have been dry-lined - I assume its from the metal in the nails expanding and contracting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Sparkle* wrote: »
    i'm having terrible problems with our toilet. it is leaking and when we looked behind the panelling, it is really black damp and still leaking plumbing is atrociously done, will the bui;der come back and fix this, the management company told me i would have to pay for it myself to be fixed!!
    That's one you would have to pay yourself as it's not structural... You could ask them and they might do it as a good will gesture, but don't bank on it.

We had a similar problem and sorted it by getting the joints sealed. It seems to be caused by the cistern being moved while flushing is taking place. It's not that the plumbing itself is bad, moreso the fitting of the cistern.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

a goodwill gesture by the builders? Are you having a laugh. Goodwill? Builders?

Advertisement