Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Understanding Modes

• 19-08-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

hi all, I am a novice bass player and I am currently trying to understand modes..ie: ionian, mixolydian, aeolian, lydian, etc etc. Can anyone reccommend a good site to explain them.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 jaybo

wow....almost a year since i put this up and its amazing to realise not one musician on here knows about modes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Here is a link to a thread on "Talk Bass" which explains things very well.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631295

However, as you are a novice, I would advise that you dont get too hung up on modes just yet. It would be far better IMO to concentrate on chords, how they are made up, being able to play them all over the neck with different inversions etc. Here is a great web site. It endorses the chords before scales concept. It is a great all round site for basic theory.

http://www.studybass.com/lessons/bass-chord-patterns/chord-tones-are-primary/

Yet another good site IMO is : www.carolkaye.com

In the Education section, take a look through the "Playing Tips". There is lots more info on the forum section if you join up.

Hope this is of some help. :)

EDIT : I have just realised that this post is a year old, in which case you are no longer a novice, and know all about chord tones and modes. Right ??? (lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

jaybo wrote: »
    wow....almost a year since i put this up and its amazing to realise not one musician on here knows about modes.
    Yes you're absolutely right. No one on here knows anything about modes. It's got nothing to do with the fact that you didn't post your question in the correct forum. I've moved it to Playing & Techniques & Theory now.

Advertisement