Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does a car devalue after a crash.

• 19-08-2009 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭

Just a question someone in the trade might be able to help me with.

If a 2 year old was crashed and repaired. (BMW 5 Series 3.0 Diesel)

Would the trade in value be less as a result that it was crashed and repaired when compared against an identical car that was never crashed.

If the car is devalued, did anyone successfully get any compensation from an insurance company based on the drop in value.

Just asking for a friend who was in an accident that was another partys fault.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Yes it devalues the car but it depends on what kind of damage was done.
    No the insurance wont make up the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The insurance company will usually compensate to the amount of 10% of the cost of the repair (afaik).

Needless to say it's nowhere near the depreciation the car will suffer due to the damage, and I don't believe the 10% figure is negotiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I think there was about 20K damage to the car and the Chassis was bent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

dingding wrote: »
    I think there was about 20K damage to the car and the Chassis was bent.

So borderline write off. It would put me off buying it anyway. How much would you be saving over buying a mint one?

I think he was looking at 46K - 47K for a trade in before the accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Of course- it will be registered as accident damaged if it went through insurance companies to, so reg check will show that!

rcaufield, that is a very interesting point. :)

If they can fix the car to the standard it was before the crash (probably what the insurance company would say :rolleyes:) why then do the sell a register of crashed cars, so the cost of the car is devalued infering that the car is NOT the same as before the crash.

Or is there any other purpose of the register that I am missing.

Surely from the insurance companies point of view, the car is either fixed to the same standard, and the owner has soffered no additional loss or it is not.

Is there a car insurance ombudsman ?

Advertisement