Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyfishing in Rathcon, Co. Wicklow

Options
  • 19-08-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Spent last weekend flyfishing in Rathcon Fishery in Grangecon, Co. Wicklow. Some fantastic fishing to be had there. You can read about it here: http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/?p=323 Would Highly recommend it.

If anyone wants more information on fishing there, let me know. One of the better local places i've been to fish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Top quality fish there - and the scenery is nice as well. Of all the stockie lakes I've been to, this is my favourite.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I agree with both the above posts. I have been taken well into the backing many times at Rathcon. One 8lb fish took me at 30 metres out and then did three 30 metre runs in succession and I almost got "spooled" on that occasion.

Those trout are also present in Annamoe, Corcagh Park as well as Rathcon. They are outstanding fin perfect superb fighting fish in brilliant condition. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

"spooled" can you explain this term for me please! I am new to fly fishing, I was fishing in Rathbeggan the other day and I hooked into what felt like a very big fish. I was fighting it for a while and then, boom! my reel went spinning all over the place, line came flying out and got all tangled and then to top it all off my leader broke and I lost the fish!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

thehamo wrote: »
    "spooled" can you explain this term for me please! I am new to fly fishing, I was fishing in Rathbeggan the other day and I hooked into what felt like a very big fish. I was fighting it for a while and then, boom! my reel went spinning all over the place, line came flying out and got all tangled and then to top it all off my leader broke and I lost the fish!:(

Spooled means the fish taking all the line of the reel. I n your case it sounds like your reel has a bad drag/gear system. What make is it?

Advertisement