Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A bit of help

• 19-08-2009 11:02pm

I've been working on a project for the past while but due to a hard drive crash I lost all the pics but a few. Just curious about peoples opinions on the ones I saved, I need 5-8 pics and would value any suggestions on which if any pics to use.

The project is supposed to be influenced by Martin Parr and I hope it

Here they are.

Here are the ones I'm considering using

3837962028_52b323529b.jpg

3838100354_47ccbb747e.jpg

3837277659_ef77727757.jpg

3838090080_2098fbee7f.jpg

3837311245_6550cdafb5.jpg

3838179764_a87a2cbda8.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You realise that you can get some/most/all of that data back for a small fee from a lot of places, right?

Zillah wrote: »
    You realise that you can get some/most/all of that data back for a small fee from a lot of places, right?

I've all ready reused the memory card a few times and when I brought my lap top in they told me that they couldn't get the photos back. I've gone from a few hundred pics to just 35, really annoying but all I need is 5-8 pictures so it's not that bad.

Here are the pics with a bit of tweaking, think they look much better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Here are the pics with a bit of tweaking, think they look much better now.

Irrespective of the quality of the pictures themselves, which don't really do anything for me, I don't think you're doing them any favours with the editing. Anything even remotely white in the images has been blown out completely, it looks very jarring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Parr is a really interesting guy. I'm no Martin Parr historian or biographer but in my minds eye, Martin Parr tends to have clearly defined subjects in his compositions - the girl in the chip shop, the socialite with the stained dress (i'm sure there are proper names on these), the lady on the Brighton beach, etc... Again my minds eye tells me that Martin Parr would have been up much closer than 1, 5 and 6 in your first post. Also, Parr's work tends to have lots of colour (sometimes slightly muted) of an era which gives a dated impression to the resulting image - or - at least the colour aids and assists the isolation of the subject within the composition.

But I can't really say the above with any degree of authority.

Does your particular project call for all landscape formats to the images?

Not sure if any of that helps, but my twopence worth anyhow.

• Advertisement

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Parr is a really interesting guy. I'm no Martin Parr historian or biographer but in my minds eye, Martin Parr tends to have clearly defined subjects in his compositions - the girl in the chip shop, the socialite with the stained dress (i'm sure there are proper names on these), the lady on the Brighton beach, etc... Again my minds eye tells me that Martin Parr would have been up much closer than 1, 5 and 6 in your first post. Also, Parr's work tends to have lots of colour (sometimes slightly muted) of an era which gives a dated impression to the resulting image - or - at least the colour aids and assists the isolation of the subject within the composition.

But I can't really say the above with any degree of authority.

Does your particular project call for all landscape formats to the images?

Not sure if any of that helps, but my twopence worth anyhow.

The brief was somewhat underwritten and doesn't contain much in the way of detail. Our project has to show some influence by the a photographer we studied and I chose Parr. I know one lad went out and just re staged pictures of Parr's and while it looked good it was completely unoriginal and original composition is underlined twice in the brief.

The pictures I'm using are not the ones I originally planned but I have to make the most of what I have. I would go out and re-shoot it again or change the subject but once we submit our proposal we cannot change it.

I played around with the pictures in photo-shop and think that they now look much better the link is in my post above yours. Keep your fingers crossed he likes them, though given that he gives 60% of the mark to a portfolio the photos really aren't that important. One lad passed last year and didn't take a single photo. He just did the paper work.

Advertisement